Making a Hinderer great again

halden.doerge

I'll Sharpen Your Knife
Gold Member
5TY31jC.jpg

3i0uXqD.jpg

gBM5IfG.jpg

YLJ4qoQ.jpg

NOW it's a slicer! 17 DPS on the Wicked Edge came out fantastic. Added on the gorgeous red scale, and if you look closely, you can see that it's now running smooth as silk on PB washers! Flips like it's on bearings, fellas! For real. :D

Hi,
NOW it's a slicer! 17 DPS on the Wicked Edge came out fantastic. Added on the gorgeous red scale, and if you look closely, you can see that it's now running smooth as silk on PB washers! Flips like it's on bearings, fellas! For real. :D
Nice work :)
but a 17dps slicer? :confused:

Have a look at [url=https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/axe-knowledge/caring-for-your-axe/sharpening/] Sharpening - Gränsfors Bruk [/URL]
For carving axe they suggest Angle 25° to 30° , that is inclusive angle as in ~12° to 15° degrees per side
Felling axe angle is only 15° to 18° degrees per side ( 36° degrees inclusive)
So a slicer?
You've got axe friend :p
:D

"PB"? Peanut Butter? LOL. If their is a different washer for my hinderer I would love to know about it!

Lovely knife btw. Mine is coyote brown with 20cv steel. I can flip well but thumb stud action is nyet.Hoping that breaks in. Knife is only a couple days old so needs some time I guess.

"PB"? Peanut Butter? LOL. If their is a different washer for my hinderer I would love to know about it!

Lovely knife btw. Mine is coyote brown with 20cv steel. I can flip well but thumb stud action is nyet.Hoping that breaks in. Knife is only a couple days old so needs some time I guess.

PB=Phosphor Bronze. I've replaced the nylon washers on my 3.5" and 3" XMs and they definitely feel great. Not like worlds better or anything, but just slightly more solid and maybe a little smoother. But they are still breaking in too, so we'll see how the continue to wear.

And chapter 2 of Hinderer greatness:

Got a brand new MP1 in natural canvas micarta today. Fantastic knife, and as such it had to meet the Wicked Edge. I took this one a bit further, laying it back to 15 degrees per side to see how it did. Ya'll can be the judge. I can tell you for sure that it cuts like a laser.

CKrQ3hE.jpg

tOXx3k2.jpg

qWRUK0R.jpg

BnmpXvB.jpg

Ik9Lzbm.jpg

7dmvbGL.jpg

Further update: The same size phosphor bronze washers fit the MP1 as well. Smooth as butter!

PB=Phosphor Bronze. I've replaced the nylon washers on my 3.5" and 3" XMs and they definitely feel great. Not like worlds better or anything, but just slightly more solid and maybe a little smoother. But they are still breaking in too, so we'll see how the continue to wear.

what size did you use and where did you find them? thanks. I would love to try that!

Do you happen to have a picture of where you mounted the slicer on your wicked edge? Is it a 3.5 or 3"?

Do you happen to have a picture of where you mounted the slicer on your wicked edge? Is it a 3.5 or 3"?

It's a 3.5". I don't have a pic of it mounted on the WE. I believe I set it at "B", or basically centered in the clamp. I have a 3" one that I'll be doing soon, and I'll take a pic of that one and add it to the thread when I do.

Thanks!!

ordered! Thanks a lot!

Awesome. It's great that they cost next to nothing. I recommend polishing them up a little on some fine grit sandpaper (2000 and up, I really like the 3000 and 5000 grit trizac pads for this) before installing. That definitely helps them run smooth.

It's a 3.5". I don't have a pic of it mounted on the WE. I believe I set it at "B", or basically centered in the clamp. I have a 3" one that I'll be doing soon, and I'll take a pic of that one and add it to the thread when I do.

Thanks!!

Excellent; I will keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you!

Hi,

Nice work :)
but a 17dps slicer? :confused:

Have a look at Sharpening - Gränsfors Bruk
For carving axe they suggest Angle 25° to 30° , that is inclusive angle as in ~12° to 15° degrees per side
Felling axe angle is only 15° to 18° degrees per side ( 36° degrees inclusive)
So a slicer?
You've got axe friend :p
:D
Spyderco recommends sharpening their knives at 20 per side and kitchen knives at 15 per side as the sharp maker system is set up with those angles. I think your quoted angles are each side not inclusive.....

I think your quoted angles are each side not inclusive.....
Hi,
Have you ever tried a 25 degree per side edge (50 degree edge) on a knife?
A 30 dps ( 60 degrees) edge on a knife?

Those are angles for metal cutting cold chisels or splitting wedges
image002.jpg

Wood chisels only go to 30 degrees total.

If you don't believe this plain language measure the angles of this image
Slipning-Yxans-skotsel-6.jpg

I measure these about
1 listed for frozen wood is 80 degrees or 40 degrees per side
2 listed for softwood is HIGH angle at 42 degress or 21 dps
3 listed for carving is is 25 degress or 12.5 dps

Here they says 25 degrees, An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual - 99232823 - FS Publications - Publications - Recreational Trails - Environment - FHWA
measure the image
fig068.jpg

I measure about 25 degrees or 12.5 degrees per side

Another reference mentioned Leonard Lee's The Complete Guide to Sharpening recommends felling axe edge angles as low as 10-12 dps. Granted, he does qualify it by saying clean (knot free) green wood, but still. In any case, challenge accepted. We'll see what happens.

Most axes have a 30-40 degree angle at the end of the bit and a 15-20 degree angle about ½” from the cutting edge.

Spyderco recommends sharpening their knives at 20 per side and kitchen knives at 15 per side as the sharp maker system is set up with those angles.
Spyderco sal himself says all their blades can do 15dps
15dps is a "safe" angle,
consider that under 15 dps edge can chop bones And 12 dps edge can still shaves/whittles beard hair after 1000 slices of hardwood ( yes a 1000 slices of hardwood )
25dps dulls faster than 20dps even if those are microbevel angles

Also, consider this mind exploding material , spyderco delica/pacific salt...Extreme Regrind , ~6DPS no damage in 50 slices into pine, hardwood flooring and plywood the edge eventually gets damaged while cutting metal (steel food can)
Edge Retention : Cardboard

Back