Making Omega Springs

I know its been a year long for this thread but wondering how thoughs home made spring are holding up?
The clip side omega spring broke on my 940-2 in May 2019 and I made a set. However, after a couple months, I contacted BM and they sent a replacement set and I put them in and saved the ones I made as backups. Then, the clip side omega spring (same side as my 940-2) broke on my standard 940 and I put the ones I made back in. That was In January of this year (the knife was bought new in January 2019). Even though BM sent me another replacement set, I am going to keep the homemade ones in until they break. All together, they have lasted close to seven months with no sign of failing and I am a habitual fidgetter.

Good to know i have a broken one in my bugout and i will fix it my self thanks for the info

The clip side omega spring broke on my 940-2 in May 2019 and I made a set. However, after a couple months, I contacted BM and they sent a replacement set and I put them in and saved the ones I made as backups. Then, the clip side omega spring (same side as my 940-2) broke on my standard 940 and I put the ones I made back in. That was In January of this year (the knife was bought new in January 2019). Even though BM sent me another replacement set, I am going to keep the homemade ones in until they break. All together, they have lasted close to seven months with no sign of failing and I am a habitual fidgetter.

Good to know these will hold up. I'm a habitual flicker too, I've broke three springs in about a month on 2 different knives. I called they said they cant send springs out to me and I have to keep sending the knives back. It takes about a month each time so I'm not about to do that. Just ordered some 0.020 high carbon music wire from amazon so hopefully they last for me too

It takes practice to make them look reasonably ok. I made probably 5 or 6 springs before they started to look fairly close to the original Omega springs. I've made three sets since then as more spares and even though not as "professional" looking as the OEM's, they still work as good as the originals.

I live in the SSRC(Canada) and since our Stasi likes to steal merchandise coming into the country, BM will (on occasion) send out a set of springs saving us having to deal with our pirates. However, just in case they stop, I still like to make my own and since I have several more BM knives, I'm quite sure one of them will break a spring.

Wanted to see how people were bending these springs. I have some memory wire and a broken spring on my 535 bugout. I would send it in to get serviced but first I would rather not have to wait to get a blade back, and second I have some aftermarket scales on there and I know there is some issues with sending knives into get services with aftermarket parts.

I have tried to use a pair of needle nose pliers but with limited success. If anyone has found a video tutorial as well that would be fantastic as I havent found one to this point.

Wanted to see how people were bending these springs. I have some memory wire and a broken spring on my 535 bugout. I would send it in to get serviced but first I would rather not have to wait to get a blade back, and second I have some aftermarket scales on there and I know there is some issues with sending knives into get services with aftermarket parts.

I have tried to use a pair of needle nose pliers but with limited success. If anyone has found a video tutorial as well that would be fantastic as I havent found one to this point.
I haven't found any tutorial as of yet, but the best advice I can give you is just that practice makes "somewhat perfect". I bought a very cheap jeweler's set from Amazon for ten bucks for the jeweler's pliers, needle nose pliers, and a set of side cutters. I don't use the needle nose, nor the side cutters as they are total junk, but the jeweler's pliers make the shaping of the springs a lot easier.

I have made probably a dozen springs in total and even though they look a little crude, they do get better the more I make. Since even the worst looking ones work just fine, I'm satisfied that I will always be able to get my knives working again.

My recommendation is to make a bunch in advance for when that terrible day comes and you have a broken omega spring.

Yeah I was trying to use a pencil or marker as a medium to bend the spring around to make those tight "S" turns required for an Omega Spring but I have had trouble since it seems like I need three hands to do it. One to hold the pencil or marker, one for the pliers, and one to hold the other end of the spring. Maybe I am overthinking this a bit. I guess I can keep working on it but my first few attempts were too big, too weak, and not flat so that the spring was rubbing significantly on the liner/Scale. Id rather not have to take the custom scales off, find the old factory scales, reassemble the knife and then pay postage to get it back in the hands of Benchmade for something as simple as this broken spring on the left side.

Please don’t take this as a troll comment, I am genuinely curious.
Over the last few years has Benchmade started to use better springs that won’t break as easily? With some stories I’m reading in this thread, it seems like an issue exists with faulty springs that one would hope would be remedied by now. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Over the last few years has Benchmade started to use better springs that won’t break as easily? With some stories I’m reading in this thread, it seems like an issue exists with faulty springs that one would hope would be remedied by now. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

No idea, but I have 11 benchmades and yes I do fidget with them. Haven't had a single problem. I don't know why some people break them all the time and some never have one break, luck of the draw?

I have an 11 year old griptilian. No problem.

I have a Bugout that broke both omega springs within 6 months.

My son has a Bugout that broke one omega spring within 6 months.

Benchmade is off my to-buy list. Especially since they won't just sell omega springs.

I think there are probably a lot of factors at play here and I have heard that a rather important one is where you live. If you are in Arizona or somewhere rather try, rust tends not to form on the springs and they will last longer than in a more moist climate. That and im sure there are variances in production, how much and with how much force individual users are opening their knives, etc. There are some people like myself that have broken several in just the 3-4 years I have owned Benchmade knives and then there are plenty of other people like the above that can have a model for decades without issue. Seems to be a mixed bag.

Update here: I was able to just use a common set of needle nose pliers and a set of normal pliers in the other hand to shape memory wire into a functioning spring for the 535 bugout! The result is a slightly stronger spring than before. With regular use im hoping I can at least get half the life out of the homemade spring. Even if it only lasts half as long (a year or so) I should have enough memory wire left to continue making springs for years into the future. I just wish that BM would send these things out as readily as they do for their deep carry pocket clips. That would make things way easier to just order some up even for moderate cost and keep them in a ziplock bag waiting for the moment that you may need them.

The more you make, the better they get. I am now at 16 months with a set of omega springs I made for my 940.

The more you make, the better they get. I am now at 16 months with a set of omega springs I made for my 940.
Just an update, Feb 11 2021, that one of my homemade Omega Springs just now broke on my 940. So since my 940 is just over two years old and this is now the second pair that broke (original and homemade) I have found that both springs will last a little over a year before one of them snaps.

That tells me that my (rather crude) homemade springs are just as good as the original and last just about the same length of time.

Just an update, Feb 11 2021, that one of my homemade Omega Springs just now broke on my 940. So since my 940 is just over two years old and this is now the second pair that broke (original and homemade) I have found that both springs will last a little over a year before one of them snaps.

That tells me that my (rather crude) homemade springs are just as good as the original and last just about the same length of time.

Im curious, do you live in a humid environment? I ask because I spent some time at the beach and had an omega spring break on me (which is what caused me to go down the path of making my own out of memory wire) and since thing (over a year now) have had no issues with any of my homemade springs or factory springs in my half a dozen benchmade knives. I wonder if it could be the effect of moisture causing some corrosion on the springs that limits their life span.

I live in Ottawa and even though it is known for a somewhat humid environment (mostly in July-August) it isn't anymore so than most places. At the moment we are in our annual February cold snap but I rather doubt that could be the problem.

If I only opened any of my knives when needed and didn't frig around with them, I'm sure the springs would last virtually forever. But what would be the fun in that?

I live in Ottawa and even though it is known for a somewhat humid environment (mostly in July-August) it isn't anymore so than most places. At the moment we are in our annual February cold snap but I rather doubt that could be the problem.

If I only opened any of my knives when needed and didn't frig around with them, I'm sure the springs would last virtually forever. But what would be the fun in that?

Fair. I am guilty of the constant flicking open and closed of my axis lock knives.

I just counted and I currently have 22 Benchmades, all but two DarkStars and one AFCK are AXIS lock knives. I've sold or gifted another 9 or 10, all but one of those AXIS as well, and my wife has another 4. I'm probably gonna jinx myself here, but in almost 10 years of inveterate fidgeting and flicking I've never broken an Omega spring. I also live in a salty Atlantic environment, but have never seen any sign of rust or corrosion on my springs or anywhere inside my knives. I do carry and use them as EDCs, working construction, around the house, and up north in our Vermont woods and fields.

One thing I've read is the recommendation to use both AXIS buttons when retracting, as that puts less strain and equal pressure on the springs, and that's my usual practice. I also take care to treat my knives like any other quality tool, avoiding wetness when possible, not getting them all full of dirt or corrosive material, as well as cleaning and drying them off when they do encounter such abuse.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread and feedback on various options, as I'll inevitably break a spring or two now and would much rather make my own than go to the trouble of sending a knife in for such a simple repair. In all my years as a Knife Knut I've only ever sent one in for any service, that being my son's Crooked River with a broken wood scale--graciously replaced at no charge by the good folks at Benchmade.

Edited for formatting.

Last edited:
It takes practice to make them look reasonably ok. I made probably 5 or 6 springs before they started to look fairly close to the original Omega springs. I've made three sets since then as more spares and even though not as "professional" looking as the OEM's, they still work as good as the originals.

I live in the SSRC(Canada) and since our Stasi likes to steal merchandise coming into the country, BM will (on occasion) send out a set of springs saving us having to deal with our pirates. However, just in case they stop, I still like to make my own and since I have several more BM knives, I'm quite sure one of them will break a spring.
I'm in the same boat. Even tried looking on Etsy, but of the two guys making them, one has THE WORST reputation, and the other won't ship outside the States. And I ordered a set of replacement springs a month ago from Benchmade themselves (no idea how long they'll take to get here, but as they're free it's not a real problem).

Back