Mandatory Emersons

What are the models that are mandatory models for some one getting into Emersons. The models that have a long history with the company.I am only limiting the choices to production models. I have about five Emersons, but I only consider two models must haves. The funny thing is that neither of the two are my favorite model, that would be the horseman.

CQC-7B- The knife that put him on the map. And the knife everyone thinks off when they think Emerson.

Commander- The first knife to feature the wave

What do you guys think?

The 8 is another steeped in history. Super 8 and Super roadhouse are just badass.

7 & 8, commander roadhouse, current production knives that offer a variety of sizes and are what i think are at the core of what makes emerson a great company. There are a lot more discontinued or short run models too. The tiger would be another amazing knife. Also You have bowie styles and O yea the journeyman too.

The mandatory five for me would be, not necessarily in order:
1. CQC-7B-W
2. Commander
3. CQC-8 (or mini8 Horseman)
4. CQC-15 (or mini15)
5. A-100 (I prefer the mini in this one)

After these essential 5, next on list, and somewhat of later design heritage, is the Roadhouse (I prefer Super in that one)

The mandatory five for me would be, not necessarily in order:
1. CQC-7B-W
2. Commander
3. CQC-8 (or mini8 Horseman)
4. CQC-15 (or mini15)
5. A-100 (I prefer the mini in this one)

After these essential 5, next on list, and somewhat of later design heritage, is the Roadhouse (I prefer Super in that one)

That is a great list. I have pretty much owned everything on the list (mainly in mini).

7 & 8, commander roadhouse, current production knives that offer a variety of sizes and are what i think are at the core of what makes emerson a great company. There are a lot more discontinued or short run models too. The tiger would be another amazing knife. Also You have bowie styles and O yea the journeyman too.

Since you mentioned Bowie style blades maybe add a 13 to the list.

The CQC-13 was my first Emerson, so yeah definitely it. When I first heard of Emersons, and was browsing through them casually, the Roadhouse was the one that stood out the most to me. I thought," dang it sure would be cool to have one of those". Then of course the Commander and CQC-7,8.

The Commander would be on my short list, as well as the A100.

The A100 I purchased recently sparked a buying spree that has my Emerson ownership count up to 5.

The Commander has the most, the most ergonomic handle I've got in my fairly large collection. No matter the grip, that knife gets it DONE.

That said, my Vindicator is a close second.

I would say the 7 is an icon, I haven't decided which model I want yet, but I definitely need one in my life.

The Commander would be on my short list, as well as the A100.

The A100 I purchased recently sparked a buying spree that has my Emerson ownership count up to 5.

The Commander has the most, the most ergonomic handle I've got in my fairly large collection. No matter the grip, that knife gets it DONE.

That said, my Vindicator is a close second.

I would say the 7 is an icon, I haven't decided which model I want yet, but I definitely need one in my life.

Over 40 so far...

Three times I tried the 7 (once in all three sizes); three times I concluded I didn't like the grip. Fourth time was a charm - five 7's and counting (one a Custom). It really is the consummate Emerson -
brutally elemental, eminently capable. If I could have only one (non-6) Emerson, it would be the 7B. It's kinda' cheating, (because everyone should have a "regular" seven), but skip right to the Flipper 7 - absolutely incredible!!! The flipper fin makes the most incredible finger guard - I LOVE THIS KNIFE!!! Wait until you see it in the custom new shoes... (after Tuesday)

Though I've owned or own several of them and while neither are among my favorite Emersons, the CQC-7BW and the Commander would have to be on the list.

From a using standpoint, which is dependent upon what each of us does with our knives, it's hard to dethrone the Eights (Horseman, 8 and Super 8) from my pocket but the CQC7 and the Commander have a place in any Emerson collection.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that a production Emerson collection without CQC-7BW and the Commander would almost be incomplete. :eek:

Last edited:
My choices for iconic Emersons would be close to everyone else's:

1) CQC-7BW
2) Commander (or mini-Com)
3) CQC-15 or mini-
4) CQC-8 or Horseman

The CQC-8 or Horseman are the only models I've never had. The Horseman is the size I'd actually use, and I suppose I'll end up with one some day. They're very popular.

The CQC-8 or Horseman are the only models I've never had. The Horseman is the size I'd actually use, and I suppose I'll end up with one some day. They're very popular.

I think what makes the horseman one of the best is its perfect size. Just a touch over 3.5 inch blade, with a handle thats as long as my roadhouse handle. Theres nothing mini about it which i assume is why the horseman name was created.

For mandatory, iconic Emersons - as in, your collection would be incomplete without them - I would say CQC7B and Commander. Anything else would be additional personal favorites.

--Larry

I think what makes the horseman one of the best is its perfect size. Just a touch over 3.5 inch blade, with a handle thats as long as my roadhouse handle. Theres nothing mini about it which i assume is why the horseman name was created.

Sounds like it's pretty close in size to my mini-15, which is my fav Emerson. I'll know soon. I've got a Horseman on the way thanks to a BF / Emerson brother.

Back