Mandatory Emersons

I was eyeing a 15 for a while. And I think i need me a commander too.

Last edited:
My Jungle 7 has been dominating my pocket, I really miss my Super Commander but a regular Commander would get carried more for sure. I want to complete the set so going for a Jungle eight and Commander!

Sounds like it's pretty close in size to my mini-15, which is my fav Emerson. I'll know soon. I've got a Horseman on the way thanks to a BF / Emerson brother.

You will definitely love the horseman. It is a bit slimmer then mini 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with the 7. I used it on duty relentlessly day in day out. It was perfect for LEO work.
I used the CQC10 for years and it was versatile. It does everything well from SD to camping. I gave to a young knife freak in training.
I replaced the 10 with the Vindicator. Slight recurve on a bowie-esq platform. I would call this knife phantom or ghost because it disappears in the pocket. It is the same size as my commander but light with pillar construction. Fit and finish is perfection. I consider Emerson as hard core knives as well as hand made art. The more battle scars on the blade, the more the knife expresses this art and tells a story of it's owner. Like the 10, it does everything. It's like a doberman in obedience training class. It is top of the class.
Mandatory: The 7 and the iconic Commander. It's the hallmark of the the Emerson brand.

Last edited:
Since jumping into the Emerson World, the one I always said no to, was the 7. One day I picked up a BM 7, then added 4 more regular Emerson production 7s. There’s a good reason the 7 has been around for so long. It’s simple, does just about everything, and feels comfy in the hand. When I pull out the P-TAC, non knife people look at me like this guy’s a nut. No one says a peep when I pull out the 7.

Aside from the 7, I would add a Combat Karambit.

^ I was wondering when the Karambit would be mentioned.

Assuming we are talking a production Emerson collection,

7, 8 and Commander are top three. However the Karambit helped keep Emersons relevant during the karambit craze a few years ago.

In terms of pure usefullness, the Emerson La Griffe.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I need help! (Probably Proffesional)
In keeping with this thread, I would like to add two "must haves" to my collection.

I presently own the cqc-7f, which I love.
I also own the Super Commander, but would prefer a Commander. (Size issue only)
I've got the funds to get two more Emersons. I would like all four in the cqc-7f size range(ish).

Option 1) Part with the SC and buy a Commander and two others (your help here)
Option 2) Keep SC and buy two others (your help here)

Your input is appreciated. Thanks

I had a Horseman and CQC-8 . Both were a poor fit for my hand so I sold them. I had the horseman for many years and it was a heavy user. I never clued into the grip issue until I held a 7.

I've got five CQC-7 now. Clearly a perfect fit. Just got an A-blade version and it's a perfect EDC.

Also have a CQC-15 and Roadhouse for when I want to carry something larger as they are also a very good fit.

I want to get a Tiger next, but want to hold one before I buy to see if It fits. If not I will probably get the Combat Fighter as it's basically a Roadhouse grip with 8/Tiger blade. Maybe I'll just get it anyway...

I'm glad to have found this thread. I need help! (Probably Proffesional)
In keeping with this thread, I would like to add two "must haves" to my collection.

I presently own the cqc-7f, which I love.
I also own the Super Commander, but would prefer a Commander. (Size issue only)
I've got the funds to get two more Emersons. I would like all four in the cqc-7f size range(ish).

Option 1) Part with the SC and buy a Commander and two others (your help here)
Option 2) Keep SC and buy two others (your help here)

Your input is appreciated. Thanks

Hey White Mule,
If you'd like for your blades to be around the 7 size, then I'd part with the Super Com. Had one and passed it on. It takes up a lot of pocket space. Maybe the Gentleman Jim, El Bandito and A 100?

Hey White Mule,
If you'd like for your blades to be around the 7 size, then I'd part with the Super Com. Had one and passed it on. It takes up a lot of pocket space. Maybe the Gentleman Jim, El Bandito and A 100?

Thanks. Yes the SC is posted in my local buy and sell. I like large knives, the SC is a different large. Can't really explain. The knives that have my interest are:
1) Mini Commander
2) Commander
3) Horseman
4) Mini Road House

Thanks. Yes the SC is posted in my local buy and sell. I like large knives, the SC is a different large. Can't really explain. The knives that have my interest are:
1) Mini Commander
2) Commander
3) Horseman
4) Mini Road House

I'd get the Horseman. As for the others, eh, I'm kind of indifferent towards. I had a Headless Horseman pass through my hands recently and while I really liked it, I ended up swapping it for a Super 8 from a friend. But you obviously like your Commanders, so I'd go for the Mini Com.

I'd get the Horseman. As for the others, eh, I'm kind of indifferent towards. I had a Headless Horseman pass through my hands recently and while I really liked it, I ended up swapping it for a Super 8 from a friend. But you obviously like your Commanders, so I'd go for the Mini Com.

Yes the Commander is nice. Here are my choices:

1) Mini Commander
2) Mini Road House
3) Horseman

No to move the SC and my order will be made. Thanks for your help.

The 7 and commander are the top 2 must haves. The 7Aw is the best for me. Wanna try a horseman at some point but I can't kill the cqc-7Aw I have. Lol. And I have tried!!! I remember the catalog back in the day where the commander was on the cover and I would stare at it (before Internet) for hours. I have so many high end knives but the Emerson's are just fun to carry for me.

Out of my six Emmys, the P-SARK. The one with the pointy tip.

Mr. Wilson.
I do indeed like a pointy tip.

T7W409Zh.jpg

My one & only Emerson. It's a nice enough knife & all it's advertised to be, but I never really warmed up to it as a carry knife. It stays clipped to my first aid/emergency bag in my pickup. I may try a CQC-7 at some point.
DSC_0002-X3.jpg

Back