Manix 2 for Women?

I need some advice here! My lady has asked me to buy her a knife (her first). I’ve read many wonderful reviews of the Manix 2 and think it would be a great knife. The thing that I’m not sure of is if it would work well for a shorter lady (she’s 5foot2 while I’m 6feet). I don’t mean that to be sexist, but only worried that it would be too large for those ridiculously small pockets they put on ladies jeans, or that it may be too large for her hands. I haven’t had the chance to see the knife yet in person so it’s hard to gauge. If not I was thinking the Dragonfly 2 as a back up, but that almost seems too small for me. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance, excited to find the right fit for her!!!

That is a big jump from a Manix all the way down to a dragonfly. Have you considered something in between? The Native 5 comes to mind because it is has a similar shape to the Manix while being a good bit smaller. The Delica is also an option, but lacks the finger choil.

What I love about the Manix is the ball bearing lock (my favorite from Spyderco), and the Native and Delica both have back locks (my least favorite from Spyderco).

I would think the size of the knife would be fine for her hands. But her pockets, that could be an issue. I know guys who have issues with it. All depends the pants, fitment, size, tight, loose etc. If she wears tight fitting jeans what knife is going to fit anyway, no matter how small. If she has an edc bag then thats the way to carry it.

I think the manix 2 is so ergonomical, its one of my favorite folders. The real problem is when you get it you wont want to give it up.

The manix is a large knife in general. Especially for a female and her first knife. The dragonfly 2 on the other hand is very small. Two different ends of the spectrum. I would definitely lean towards the dragonfly 2. Its really big enough to do just about any job as I have come to find. The Native is another good option as well as the delica. I wouldn't buy the manix unless you knew she wanted something larger. I would go with dragonfly 2, delica or native. My wife carries a delica in her purse and likes it. At the moment I have been carrying the dragonfly lately and it really is large enough to do whatever I want.

If she doesn’t need a thick workhorse, maybe consider the chaparral. Helluva a slicer and similar build (choil, leaf shape blade) just thinner and smaller overall package.

Edit: Added a pic of both for you to compare.
QQxKt3v.jpg

I just got a Manix 2 (my first Spyderco). Love the knife, but was surprised at how big it is. The lock is also pretty stiff to pull back. Those would be my only concerns about giving it to someone who:

A. May have small hands
B. May have small pockets

If you don’t have a local dealer and have to order online, pick a dealer with a good return policy — just in case.

Edit: ps Just saw the recommendation for the Chaparral — I agree that might be one to consider

It doesn’t help that I’m naturally drawn to larger folders; I edc a Benchmade Contego and a ZT 300 haha but luckily I do have a shop nearby that I can possibly check the Manix 2 out at. Wanted your guys thoughts, I appreciate what you have to say!

Chaparral would be idea. Manix is huge. Dragonfly would be nice too.

Chaparral would be idea. Manix is huge. Dragonfly would be nice too.

I agree. Manix 2 is big or even too big in the standards of many males. It takes up more pocket space than many other knives with similar length due to its height. Plus, the caged ball bearing lock requires a great amount of strength to pull to close the blade, which I suspect many ladies will find difficult to do.

Reactions: Mo2
My wife loves her Dragonfly, tried a Kershaw similar sized to the Manix2 and it was too large for her pockets.

I would like to see a ball bearing lock in a knife somewhere between a Dragonfly and Delica.

Have no fear - get her the Manix 2. She'll like the knife if you like it. After all, she picked you (6'), didn't she ?(I sympathize - am 6' 5") And where/how does she carry her iPhone ? :)

I suggest to make sure it's light (sceletonized or LW), and to pick a nice color. My wife loves the Spydie blurple scales. Also, there is still the Orange S90V lightweight Manix 2 at cutleryshoppe.com (almost gone).

Cheers,

Roland.

Benchmade 555HG-PINK MINI-GRIPTILIAN at KC for$77,50.my wife love's it.she carry's it horseback riding together with a HAP40 Ladybug.she says it is very comfortable in her riding pants pocket.

The mini grip would be ideal, easy to open, fingers away from blade to close. I have small hands and its super comfy. FYI, i have a PM2, manix 2, and a chapparral. Also a 940, a Launch 4,Blur and a couple of ebay specials. The most used for EDC are the mini grip and Chapparral with everything else in occasional rotation.

The manix is a large knife in general. Especially for a female and her first knife. The dragonfly 2 on the other hand is very small. Two different ends of the spectrum. I would definitely lean towards the dragonfly
Having both I would agree.
The ball lock was a bit stiff in my experience and I have strong mechanics hands though on the small side.
The Dragon is a dream come true but if she plans to use it for any kind of food prep (lunch, birthday parties) it is short.
My significant other has many knives from lock backs to Opinels . . . the only thing she will EDC is the Ladybug. Women's clothes are pocket poor and this is all she finds she needs.
She keeps a SAK Tinker at her art studio, likes the tiny pliers.

Probably best to take her to a brick and mortar and let her try the knives in her hand (and in her pocket or purse). Buying something you and I like will probably be disastrous in her view.

I got my stepdaughter the Manix 2 lw when she was 11 or 12 and she loves it. She’s 15 now and has never complained about it being too big. I think it’s a great knife for her. She does not carry it around though, it stays at home as she goes to school. I don’t think it would fit in her pockets, honestly I don’t think many of her pants have pockets. My wife has a few knives too and her favorites are the small Texas toothpick from Case. I know that’s way different from what you’re looking at but just sharing what the ladies in my family like. I think they like their fixed blades the most, at least they get used the most.

#1... What will she use it for?

#2... How will she carry it?

#3... Has she commented on any of your knives to give you some clues about what she likes or doesn't like?

Kinda hard to make recommendations for her without knowing these things. Plenty of people like the Manix series, but plenty don't, also. Unless she's asked for that one, I'd broaden my search a bit and go smaller and lighter, like the Sage/Chaparral series, or the Native or Para 3 lightweights. My wife carries a small Sebenza and still complains about how heavy it is. She's 5'6" and an experienced outdoor person. Her favorite is a carbon fiber Delica 3 that I got her years ago.

Back