Manix 2 for Women?

Sorry guys, I fail to understand why a small woman needs a tiny knife. The Manix 2 is only "large" when compared to small Spydercos, that - IMHO - are quite useless for any practical task :) Outside of the Spydie world, the Manix 2 is normal size, for example the size of a medium Swiss Army Knife. Try to cut a loaf of bread with a blade 3" or smaller, and you see what I mean ...

Ever seen this ?

woman-carrying-smartphone-in-back-pocket-dy9y9y.jpg

Plus, most women I know have purses. Just make sure the blade is corrosion resistant in case the knife ever drops into the toilet :)

My Wife/Best Friend started her collection with a Delica, then added a Manbug to her keyring; she doesn’t like the Manix 2 due to the difficulty (for her) of manipulating the CBB lock.

This past Christmas I bought her a Gayle Bradley 2 and she was over the moon about it; she handles it like a boss! If you have various Spydercos you may want to converse with her to see what she likes/dislikes about the various models… in other words get her input before buying her a knife. I made the mistake in the past of buying mine a compound bow without getting her input and it ticked her off royally!

She carries her GB2 in her purse.

Sorry guys, I fail to understand why a small woman needs a tiny knife. The Manix 2 is only "large" when compared to small Spydercos, that - IMHO - are quite useless for any practical task :) Outside of the Spydie world, the Manix 2 is normal size, for example the size of a medium Swiss Army Knife. Try to cut a loaf of bread with a blade 3" or smaller, and you see what I mean ...

Ever seen this ?

The Manix 2 is much taller than a medium Swiss army knife. I've got the 2 side by side right now. Manix is thinner, but takes up a fair bit more pocket space. Plenty of other manufactures also make knives with a similar blade length but much less actual size. And you're right...I've never tried to cut a loaf of bread with a 3" or smaller blade...but then I've also never tried to cut a loaf of bread with my 5.5 inch Cold Steel Voyager, or my 6" Cold Steel Rajah 2 either, cause who uses a folder to cut a loaf of bread? As for the pic, I dunno about you, but nobody I know carries their folder in their back pocket...

Now, if carrying a purse comes into it, well...in a purse you could carry a 7.5" Cold Steel Espada XL and not have any issues, so that definitely changes the game heh.

I need some advice here! My lady has asked me to buy her a knife (her first). I’ve read many wonderful reviews of the Manix 2 and think it would be a great knife. The thing that I’m not sure of is if it would work well for a shorter lady (she’s 5foot2 while I’m 6feet). I don’t mean that to be sexist, but only worried that it would be too large for those ridiculously small pockets they put on ladies jeans, or that it may be too large for her hands. I haven’t had the chance to see the knife yet in person so it’s hard to gauge. If not I was thinking the Dragonfly 2 as a back up, but that almost seems too small for me. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance, excited to find the right fit for her!!!

Hi, Run2Christ:
As a woman, I can say that I love to carry the Manix 2. I do so, regularly. However, having said that... please take her to a local store and let her handle knives to find what fits best for her. We all know that a knife is an incredibly personal choice. It's like buying a firearm in that it needs to feel just right in our hand. If she isn't comfortable with it, she won't carry it. If she isn't comfortable with it, she'll struggle to build the muscle memory to use it well and safely.

If a local store (or a gun show - lots of knives there usually) isn't an option then let her handle the various knives that you own. There's more to it than just size (both size of knife and size of her hands). She's going to have a preference for material and weight too.

I have smaller hands but the knives I carry would never reflect that. I regularly carry a Manix 2 but I also regularly carry a Manix 2 XL, a Yojimbo 2, a Military Model, a Chinook 2... I could go on but I think you get the idea. And please, and I say this as a woman, please don't suggest that she carry it in her purse. A purse is a black hole and if a time comes that she really needs her knife she won't be able to find it. Carrying a knife on our person can be challenging - it's true if we have pockets they aren't really pockets - but we can adapt and often do with a little creativity.

She's going to love the fact that you are so invested in finding her the right knife for her! She's lucky to have you. Good luck in your search!

Kristi

So I guess Spyderco needs to put out a line of women's pants (and maybe mens) with knife pockets.

#saynotoapurse

So I guess Spyderco needs to put out a line of women's pants (and maybe mens) with knife pockets.

#saynotoapurse

Probably not the pants but we could probably offer advice on creative but safe carry.

Love the hashtag! True story!

Kristi

The only Spydie/folder I've been able to get my wife to actually carry is the Ladybug she keeps on her keys. Everyone's different though.

May just say try to slaughter a cow with a blade of 3" or shorter. Many of us do like smaller/shorter knives and find tons of use of them. I guess the more important question here is how often the OP's lady will use this knife to slice a loaf of bread (or slaughter a cow;)).

May just say try to slaughter a cow with a blade of 3" or shorter. Many of us do like smaller/shorter knives and find tons of use of them. I guess the more important question here is how often the OP's lady will use this knife to slice a loaf of bread (or slaughter a cow;)).

I was more thinking on how (not) to make a sandwich with a Ladybug .... but obviously Wonderbread is also available in Sweden :) :)

My lady friend said she likes the PM2 on me but whenever I carry a Para 3 I always find it in her hands when I’m driving. She said it’s easier and more fun to open and close because it’s smaller and drops shut.

Last edited:
Hi, Run2Christ:
As a woman, I can say that I love to carry the Manix 2. I do so, regularly. However, having said that... please take her to a local store and let her handle knives to find what fits best for her. We all know that a knife is an incredibly personal choice. It's like buying a firearm in that it needs to feel just right in our hand. If she isn't comfortable with it, she won't carry it. If she isn't comfortable with it, she'll struggle to build the muscle memory to use it well and safely.

If a local store (or a gun show - lots of knives there usually) isn't an option then let her handle the various knives that you own. There's more to it than just size (both size of knife and size of her hands). She's going to have a preference for material and weight too.

I have smaller hands but the knives I carry would never reflect that. I regularly carry a Manix 2 but I also regularly carry a Manix 2 XL, a Yojimbo 2, a Military Model, a Chinook 2... I could go on but I think you get the idea. And please, and I say this as a woman, please don't suggest that she carry it in her purse. A purse is a black hole and if a time comes that she really needs her knife she won't be able to find it. Carrying a knife on our person can be challenging - it's true if we have pockets they aren't really pockets - but we can adapt and often do with a little creativity.

She's going to love the fact that you are so invested in finding her the right knife for her! She's lucky to have you. Good luck in your search!

Kristi
This x 100. I second taking her somewhere so she can get her hands on them. Did this with my wife and she picked something I never would have expected - a large frame lock knife. It's a great knife and she loves it. Different in every way than I would have chosen for her.

Last edited:

I would argue that smaller knives are quite useful. The dragonfly for instance can do just about any task you can do with a larger knife. The ladybug maybe not but the dragonfly offers a full grip and enough blade to work with.

Smaller knives are useful. I usually carry a Native or a Chaparral. Occasionally I'll carry a DF. My wife carries a 4" frame lock. I think the point is to not presume and let them figure out what they prefer.

I would say that it's highly likely that your wife will prefer something smaller than a Manix, although it is a wonderful knife and I own several. I am a 6' 3" tall man with large-ish hands and the Manix suits me beautifully (with deep carry clip). However, my wife prefers the Native 5 or Para 3 in terms of size. Kristi gave very good advice -- take her to a store and let her check them out, if possible.

You know that the brown Manix 2 in M390 is coming up soon. I would buy both and tell her to choose one and you keep the other. If she don't like it, keep both.:D Then you could buy the Techno 2 and the PM3 in FRN. If she don't like it, keep both and repeat if necessary.:D

You know that the brown Manix 2 in M390 is coming up soon. I would buy both and tell her to choose one and you keep the other. If she don't like it, keep both.:D Then you could buy the Techno 2 and the PM3 in FRN. If she don't like it, keep both and repeat if necessary.:D

That is the correct answer. And, BTW, my wife likes black knives. And there is a DLC M4 Military coming up. There is a chance she'll like that one too :)

No way do I think the average lady would carry a Manix. It does depend on her personality, interests and needs. Not saying they couldn’t use one, but let’s face-it, they are generally more practical than men. If looking for one in that size I would think the PM2 is a little more versatile and easy to use. She would be more likely to carry/use Para 3, Native 5, Chaparral, Centofante, Delica. I’m a 6’-4” knife nut and I am more likely to carry a Delica than a Manix, it’s more practical, ever try to peel an apple with a Manix?

PS. I think ladies who are active on this forum are ABOVE average!

Back