Manix2 CPM S110V

I finally pulled the trigger on this one yesterday, and at the <$110 price point how could I not? I've been wanting to add some s110v to my collection. I really wanted to see if a pm2 or millie got released in s110v as I don't have either of those yet but I will make those models the knives I look for my first year at Blade. I can't wait!

I checked mine out and I'm almost certain it would work. The problem is you will need to drill out the rivets on the lightweight to get the blade out. I don't believe spyderco will sell rivets to reassemble the lightweight with S30V blade so you are essentially making two functional knives into one and a pile of parts.

If you take your time to drill or grind the rivets to get them out without burning or damaging the handles, can probably replace them with Pivot barrels and screws, probably around 1/8"X3/8", and end up with two fully functioning knives, and no riveted pins.

I will check into this later this week and see if I can get a diameter reading on the rivets. I assume I can buy pivot pins from spyderco?

I will check into this later this week and see if I can get a diameter reading on the rivets. I assume I can buy pivot pins from spyderco?

Doubtful, but you can ask. In general they don't ship parts out, other than clips and clip screws.

nope, but most knifemaker supply catalogs have a selection for a buck or two for each barrel/screw set

nope, but most knifemaker supply catalogs have a selection for a buck or two for each barrel/screw set

The key is getting the right size. This was discussed years ago when the Caly3 first came out and the answer was, more or less, you can't get the right size hardware, but the Caly3 is made in JA, not the US. There's probably a much better chance of "standard" hardware sizes in this knife.

Is there a functional reason to pin the handles together? I can't think of one good reason other than to prevent people from taking the knife apart. Or perhaps it's too complicated to reassemble? Never had that problem with my g-10 manix's though. I know the lightweight and regular model are designed slightly different but it would be awesome to have the choice. Because the pinned handles are seriously a pain in rear end. Sure the option to blade swap would be nice, but even for just general maintenance of the knife it's a nuisance. For instance the ball bearing lock on my trans blue manix 2 was really sticky and instead of being able to take it apart and thoroughly clean it properly, I had to pull back on the lock and shove q-tips inside to clear out some of the dirt. Water and compressed air can go so far when it comes cleaning a knife. Oh well it is what it is I guess. Definitely didn't stop me from buying another haha.

In the Calys, they are pinned apparently because the scales are too thin for proper screws. The LWT Manix has no steel liners and is VERY thin FRN/FRCP... Might be part of the reason why.

My thorough cleaning: Loosen pivot, run warm water on the knife, brush pivot area with toothbrush and dishsoap, hit all points and crevices and proceed to brush the entire knife including scales, jet rinse with warm water thoroughly when finished, dry with papertowel, blow pivot etc. with compressed air, spray wd40 on pivot and blow excess off with comp air, dry with a fan or hair dryer, once dry- lube pivot and re-tighten..........This is also what I do on my knives WITH screws. Plenty sufficient. Of course I'd also prefer to have the option of taking it apart completely for various reasons but I can live with it.

refrofiled mine today was the most perfect grind of all the Spyderco's i have had. 14.9 deg. per side.

Mine just cleared Canadian Customs last night. Generally when that happens, my products arrive within a day. Two at the most. So I should have it by today or tomorrow. Super excited!

14.9 dps? What's the difference between that and 15 dps? Does .1 degrees really make that much difference?

This.
And as a fellow stickler for accuracy, I'd like to know what system is used to get such a precise measurement. :eek:
If I can measure within a degree taking into account the four measurements my sharpener needs performed, and my Angle Cube accuracy, I'm satisfied.

Back