Marbles Trailmaker vs. Cold Steel Trailmaster

Subject line says it all. What is any one's experience with these knives. I have a Cold Steel Recon Scout I like a lot, I guess the Trailmaster in Carbon V would be similar. I have no experience with Marbles at all. These two knives seem very similar, I want to know what one I should look at getting. Any comparable knives (ie. a large bowie in the $200.00 range, carbon steel blade) considered too. Thanks.

I like my Busse Basic 9 a bit better than my CS Trailmaster. The grip and sheath suit me a little better. However, I used the CS for many years with good results.

I've handled the Marbles in a couple different grip materials and must admit that I want one also. I haven't field tested the Marbles, but the Busse looks and feels a little stronger. I have an extra Basic 9 in the "trade" forum that I bought for a relative who was unable to take it. If you decide on a Basic 9 and have something to trade, let me know at swsurgical@hotmail.com.

I have a stag-handled CS Trailmaster (in carbon steel) and a large stag-handled Marbles Trailmaker. I like both knives a lot, but they're completely different animals. If you've got the CS Recon Scout, you've got a good idea of what to expect in the Trailmaster. Solid construction and an extremely thick blade…near bombproof, but not the best knife for slicing or cutting through vegetation. The Marbles Trailmaker is a thinner, more refined blade and better suited (IMO) for a general-purpose camp knife (still plenty robust, though). So, as usual, it all comes down to how you want to use the knife…if you want an ultra-tough, semi-tactical field tool go for the Cold Steel. For a more traditional and versatile instrument, go with the Trailmaker. I should probably make it clear that I have no experience with the Kraton-handled Trailmaster…I avoid Kraton handles like the plague (or anthrax) :). Like I said, I think both are pretty good knives…just different.

If it was my choice, I'd opt for the Marbles…YMMV. I'd also suggest looking at the BK&T Magnum Camp Knife for a lower-cost alternative…just make sure your hands are big enough to get around the handles.

I couldn't imagine ever being disappopinted by a Marbles knife. Their convex grind should be experienced by everybody. They cut like nothing else. And Marbles come in real handle materials like micarta, bone and wood. None of that rubber stuff. If I wanted a rubber nd steel, I'd buy a steel belted radial tire.

Buzzbait is on the $$$.., you have to cut with a Marbles...what a grind!!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

i also have the marbles trailmaker 10" stag handled knife....this knife has to be used to be appreciated...it cuts with ease, brush,sapplings dont stand a chance... its definitly one of my favorite,take along on my hunting trips...you wont be dissapointed:)

What kind of tang assembly is in the Marbles? Is it full, or is it a rod and nut kind of thing?

I think the Stag Trailmaster has a modified tang like that. THe Kraton one is full tang under the the handle....

Anyone have any handle failures on the stag CS TM or Marbles?

Good question, that never occured to me. I think I will still go with the Marbles though. I like rat-tail consruction, it is plenty strong if done right, and I am guessing Marbles can do it right.

Cold Steel's patented Carbon V is beautiful steel. However, Marble's is now using the 52100 perfected by Ed Fowler, which is probably the best blade steel in the world.

As you may have figured out from a number of previous posts, I am a big fan of the convex edge grind (for knives as well as tomahawks). It's the best way to get enough beef behind a cutting edge for durability, but still make it easy to keep razor sharp. It penetrates well, slices well, holds up well, and is easy to maintain. Cold Steel uses a fairly traditional flat grind, with a secondary final edge flat. Marble's uses a very beautiful convex grind blended right down to the razor edge.

Given a combination of 52100 and a fine convex grind, I'd go with the Marble's even though I have been a fan of Cold Steel's blades for a long time.

TWO HAWKS
http://www.2hawks.net

Give me the Trailmaster any time. At least they are evenly ground. Those Marbles knives have got to be some of the sloppiest ground knives I have ever seen out of a factory. By the way, the Trailmaker from Marbles is not 52100. Pretty sure they use 5160 for the bigger one. I do like the handles on the Marbles, but until they straighten up the grinding, I wont buy one.

Danbo -
Wasn't aware that they were using different steel on the larger blades.
As to the grind, the Marble's I've seen looked OK, but of course I'm not sitting there watching everything that comes off the production line. Inconsistent finishing is really common with commercial blades, where a bunch of different employees are doing the work. You have to have some really picky people in the quality control department throwing out the ones that don't meet standards (which is one thing I've always liked about Cold Steel - their seconds are usually better than a lot of factory first-line inventory).
I do, however, greatly prefer a convex edge grind over the alternatives on just about any blades except razors, wood chisels, and some specialized types of carpenter's axes.
TWO HAWKS
http://www.2hawks.net

Marble's Trailmaker is ground from 5160 @ Rc58-60 IIRC. The smaller model and the big boy.

I've been considering which large Bowie to get myself. One issue I haven't seen discussed here is the weight of the knives. The Carbon V Trailmaster weighs 16.7 ounces, versus 22 ounces for the Trailmaker.
Another option I would like to see discussed are the large Bowies from Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works. There are some similar in size and price to the Trailmaker and Trailmaster.

I thought about Mineral Mountain too. I believe they use a hollow grind though, which I would rather avoid in a hard use/chopping knife. If I could get a flat or convex ground one, then they would be more in the running.

Both are FINE knives. The sheath on the Marbles is very low quality and unsafe however. I was shocked when the sales clerk pushed the Marbles blade back into the sheath and the sheath cut so easily, with over half of that razor sharp blade coming out the back of the sheath that he didn't even notice that he'd just barely missed seriously slicing all four of his fingers as he held the sheath.

I had the Trailmaster with Kraton which I prefer in a handle for use. To me, based on memory and not having either to hand - the Marbles weight is far more in the handle and the Trailmaster is far more in the blade.

By the way, why do some of you not like the Kraton -- other than aesthetics? Any technical reasons?

I think I have seen other complaints in these forums about the poor quality of Marble's sheaths.
I recently purchased a Cold Steel Recon Scout, which is the little brother of the Trailmaster. One factor in it's favor is that the sheath can be worn either on the left or right. The Trailmaster appears to have the same kind of ambidexterous sheath, so this is a point in it's favor for us lefties.
I have two Mineral Mountain knives, and they are as solidly built as any I have seen. One is an integral guard fighter, and the second is a short gladius style sword called the Long Knife. I haven't owned or handled any of the bowies. I like the fighter, and the Long Knife is very well made, although exceptionally heavy due to the wide blade.

Danbo is correct about the Trailmakers not being made from 52100 but the smaller blades are indead 52100. Both of my Marbles have perfect grinds on them (Sport 99 and Woodcraft).
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the pot but consider that Fallkniven is comeing out with a 10" bowie with san mai VG-10 blade (VG-10 core with 420J sides)...I know, I know, 420J sucks for an edged blade but on the sides in a san mai it does not have to hold an edge and is very rust resistant.
:rolleyes:

Back