Marbles Trailmaker vs. Cold Steel Trailmaster

There was some discussion of the new Fallkniven in a previous thread. I don't recall the list price but there was some concern it would be too expensive - substantially more than the Trailmaker or Trailmaster.

Interesting discussion. I have both CS and Marbles knives, the former in Carbon V and the latter (Campcraft and Fieldcfat) in 52100. The stag handled Trailmaster uses a stub tang and a chain affixed to the pommel nut, to compensate for the curve of the stag. Don't know how it hold up but it wouldn't be a strong as the full tang with the Kraton handle. Marbles uses 5160 for its larger blades, I believe, a very good tough steel with excellent though maybe not superb edge holding, at least compared to 52100. This is also known as OCS (Old Chevy Spring). Great for knives that will be used for chopping and similar abuse (use an ax for chopping, a knife for cutting). Kraton handles are great under adverse conditions, like cold, wet, greasy, bloody. I prefer Marbles stacked leather to the other grips available -- it just appeals to me and works fine under the above conditions. My Canadian two cents worth (that's 1.3 cents US).

How about one of the newer SOG Tigersharks (9 inch blade), with the AUS-6 steel?

I just came across another large bowie advertised by the Knifecenter. It is the Entrek Ranger. It has a nine inch blade, micarta handle, double guard, and is made from 440C stainless. The top edge is sharpened. Knifecenter's price is $159.

Well, I am not sure it should be called a bowie. The description states that it is a "Persian Fighter". I don't know how it might fare as a camp knife.

How about 440C for a large knife like that? Is it a good steel to use for a large blade?

Another option to consider are the Aitor knives. They make a bolo style and bowie styles with 8 1/2 inch blades, and the prices are usually under $100.

They use a stainless steel that I have seen compared to 440V. A forum member mentioned some Aitor literature that compared their steel to 440C. If either claim is true, you are getting premium stainless steel for the price of a knife made with 420 steel.

The Aitors have EXCELLENT double guards.

Here is a discription of an Aitor bolo from Camelot Enterprizes:

"This Survival knife is the El Montero model crafted by Aitor of Spain is 16 in overall length with a 8-3/4" high carbon stainless steel blade which has a hardness range of Rockwell C55/58 and is an improvement over the famous 440c alloy. The blade crafted from this premium-grade alloy is heat treated by an advanced system to enable Aitor's incredible "shaving sharp" edge."

The price is $67 dollars, less than the same company charges for the Western bowie knife. It seems like a case of "too good to be true", but owners of Aitor knives speak very favorably of them.

I have had the CS trailmaster in the 9" with Kraton handles and have the Marbles trailmaker in the 7" with stag handle. The trailmaster is sold, I didn't like the rubber handles, though they work on the smaller knives like the recon tanto, but when I want to chop down a tree I want the handle to be able to "slip" or "pivot" forward in my hand as I flick my wrist, the kraton is so sticky it only allows a stiffhanded swing, seriously hampering it's chopping ability in my opinion. There is a big controversy over the rubber handles which can be read about elsewhere. I also didn't like the grind on the CS, too steep even for chopping in my opinion, it glances when chopping hard wood. The Marble's knife will be with me my whole life I am sure, it is a great knife, beautiful and functional. It is a great chopper, the big aluminum butt allows you to get your hand back on the knife while keeping control and the grind allows it to dig deep. I have cut down many 4-8 inch hardwood trees with it and the handle has never loosened and it holds it's edge well. HOWEVER, I'm not a huge fan of thier sheaths, but this knife is custom level in performance and looks for a decent price so I guess they have to skimp somewhere. AND, the tip grind on these knives is too thin, I broke my tip during testing, about 1/2 inch is VERY THIN. I just got out the bastard file and made a new tip and it looks perfect now and the tip is strong. But if you want a big chopper, why not the BK&T Brute, going for around 80 bucks these days with a good sheath and many good reports on it.

I understand a personal preference 4 handle matls.
but as long as yoy dont expose CS krayton to large
ammounts of EEZOX or acetone ive never had any
problems. Ive got a 15? yr old TM that needs the
handle replaced but the knife has had the livin
hell beat out of it. Where did the idea of "main-
tainence" go? N-O-T-H-I-N-G is indestructible,
some things are damn close (glock of course...)

Back