Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
MlAMf2E.jpg

more pictures and stuff coming...

Lorien, You are being a very bad boy. :D

I've seen video of the whole thing, and it is glorious:D

I'm only liking posts with pictures in them. *pout*

Much more of a very similar looking piece was posted in another thread a day or two ago. Snooping through his posting history could be rewarding...

So, this knife is something that I designed to be as compact as possible but capable of delivering powerful cuts and chops in a forest setting. Particularly with trail building, which I do both professionally and on my own time for my own sanity.

The khukuri form lends itself to this goal, so that's the shape this knife took. No need to recreate the wheel here, but it should be noted that only my experience using different khukuris informed the design, I didn't, (and don't) take tracings of knives and then put my spin on it.

I start with a blank sheet of paper and then erase as many lines as it takes to settle on the shape and form that I want. While the end result looks simple, the pursuit of it is pretty painstaking.

My favourite work is to design knives to the aesthetic or style of whomever I'm working with. Those of you familiar with Rick Marchand's work will hopefully recognize his style in the drawing below.

BkHrZiL.jpg

I came up with this design shortly after receiving a very special knife from Rick, called PIG, (thread can be found here, broken photo links and all). We lovingly refer to this knife as Pulled Pork, because we are silly bastards

Good morning and happy Monday to you!

I took my little piggy out for a walk a couple of days ago, and put it to some light use

bNEd3Gd.jpg

jNkncum.jpg

y04HQvW.jpg

As you might expect, it works well. The sheath in particular is excellent, easy to use one handed but super secure. It's quite low profile and doesn't add more material than necessary and carries high enough to stay inconspicuous for when I run into 'normal people'.

Very nice Lorien Lorien ! In your design I can see where you plan the balance point and also some parameters that presumably describe the distal taper.
How accurately, and to what extent do you worry about placing the balance point, given the added complexity of having in addition to distal taper, strongly varying width, and bevels to consider?

Back