Marchand Madness

That is a great piece of kit

In the first pic I knew that was a dog leash

isn’t out roaming with your dog or dogs one of your favorite things ?

It is mine

That is a great piece of kit

In the first pic I knew that was a dog leash

isn’t out roaming with your dog or dogs one of your favorite things ?

It is mine
that's f'ing true, Joe! Best part of my day

P6EZ6HP.jpg

Very nice Lorien Lorien ! In your design I can see where you plan the balance point and also some parameters that presumably describe the distal taper.
How accurately, and to what extent do you worry about placing the balance point, given the added complexity of having in addition to distal taper, strongly varying width, and bevels to consider?

sorry for not answering your question earlier, but I needed some time to consider it;

designing, especially to Rick's methodology, isn't anywhere close to being scientifically pure. When I work with folks who use CAD, with the final product coming out of a CNC machine, I can specify exactly where the balance point will be and know in advance what the overall weight will be- before the knife is even built

in the case of this knife, it was designed to be heavy. It was also designed to have a relatively neutral balance- although by nature it would end up being blade heavy. Because I have a knife that has a virtually identical handle, I had some good information going into this, and calculated in general what I wanted based on the information at hand

in short, there is a lot of guesswork involved in predetermining overall weight and balance point. A good example of this predetermination is a project I did with Stuart Branson, (DEATHFANG 3000) where it was specified in advance that counterweights would be added to the handle in order to keep the front end from being heavy. You don't want a fighter to be blade heavy. Anyway, it took a fair amount of guesswork and experience using knives to know how to approach it. I think that might be what separates Art from Science, but who knows?

Stunning!! It just oooozes sexy!! Also it clearly wants to eat some wood!! Trees, brush, vines, standing, fallen, I'll eat it all!!! Enjoy and thanx for sharing!!

Meh... Not thick enough.

Ha!

I'm trying to find in-progress photos but it took me so damn long to make, that I can't locate them in the archives.
Here is the backstory, folks...

Lorien, and I have a history of trades... bikes-n-knives. We also did a D-Duard Bowie, which currently resides in Dudley's collection. He definitely understands my aesthetic and the Pulled Pork is no exception. This last project didn't go as smoothly as the others, though, and I'm a big enough man to admit I messed up. Lorien didn't make mention that he has waited 4+ years for this blade. Shortly after making the deal, my life got really busy. Building my new shop was a crazy ordeal that I did not expect. Add to that, personal issues weighed heavily on my mind. Long story, short... my brain short circuited and I completely overlooked the fact that Lorien had already made good on his end of the deal... I mean I COMPLETELY rewrote history in my head. It wasn't until just before the Holidays that I was exposed to the truth... and it hit me like a 5.5lb rounding hammer. HOLY BAWLZ!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? There might have been some valid trauma to explain it but what I want to focus on is Lorien's composure during what I now refer to as "The Darkening".

Did Lorien, complain? Nope.
Did he, badmouth me? Nope.
Did he, light a fire under my ass? Nope.
Did he even come out and tell me there was something wrong? Nope.

He simply waited, patiently. Watching post after post, picture after picture of other projects I was doing, all the while, commenting and giving thumbs up. That is politeness, beyond standard issue, in Canada, folks. We aren't obligated to go that far... sorry. What was his response after I snapped to my senses and owned up to my mistake? "Don't worry, man. Shit happens." I don't even....??? … how can... ??? Who just... ???....

Anywho… That wrong, has been made right!

Regarding the knife, itself. I normally do NOT work from client drawings. I find it claustrophobic, if that makes sense. I don't measure... I fit, then adjust, or just go by what looks and feels right. People ask what length or thickness a blade is and I am usually measuring for the first time... well after the piece is done. Lorien's interpretation just worked for me. I honestly couldn't tell you if I nailed his dimensional values or balance point but I think it ended up close. Pulled Pork, like it's portly uncle, The PIG (Purposefully Inflated Geometry) is an overengineered big knife, squashed into small package. The Lorien Arnold, of bush knives.

You are a good person, my friend... no refunds... and the warranty expired this morning.

Very cool blade.

Lorien is a saint putting up with you :)

Rick, I will never understand why you don't use a piece of wood with no cracks or faults for your handles. Then you wouldn't have to wrap string around them to keep them together........Just curious

Rick, I will never understand why you don't use a piece of wood with no cracks or faults for your handles. Then you wouldn't have to wrap string around them to keep them together........Just curious
OMG... you are still alive!?

lol... :p… hope you are well, bud... no "strings" attached.

Last edited:
Lol this thread has me cracking up.
Lorien DOES have the patience of a Jedi master. Great inner peace this one has.
I am starting to wonder just how many knives people have him waiting on (including myself).
Awesome design and amazing execution by both of you. I love the transition from thickness of the spine to a very sharp edge.
Beautiful knife, I find myself looking at pictures of it over and over again.
That tree has me freaking out though.

That would fit famously into my Marchand Collection.....Richard. ;)

I don’t think he can help it anymore.
I think you're right, and I can't help but love him for it:p
Dudley, I also agree that you need another Rick MarchLoriend piece for your collection. Not this particular one, though, sorry!

Nice job Lorien and Rick. The pattern on the face of the sheath is super beautiful!

thanks very much :)

Last edited:
Back