1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Mashed Cat Sheaths and Genius carry concepts

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Grandsuave, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Grandsuave

Grandsuave KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 24, 2006
    Its the preferred method! LOL!

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I've carried knives with tech locks for well beyond a decade. It is a great solution. It is not the only solution, nor is it perfect for every knife.

Don't sweat it too much.

I've used them for both small and large knives. I'd much rather have my sheath come with one than not ( including my old mashed cat sheaths).

That being said. No cary/attachment system is perfect. They are a solution, not the only solution. They will continue to be a standard option for me.

But, I don't necessarily carry every knife the same as you, or anyone else would.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007

Apparently I need to make friends with you guys!! I have several sheaths needing tech locks currently!!

4. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    9448357C-27E0-47AD-9E01-CEEBC0C891C2.jpeg CCB9B949-EDAA-4632-8C7A-6AA8B206D5D0.jpeg
    Ulticlip slim 3.3

5. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Hey Eric, would you consider providing spacing for a mini Tek-Lok on your taco sheath for more comfortable horizontal cross draw carry? @Grandsuave
    I use them with 1.5” leather gun belt, and find them much more comfortable than the large for this type of carry.
    Here’s some pics of one on a sheath, and knife I got from Phillip Patton. It’s a 4” blade Kwaiken, and it carries very comfortably and concealed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MiFi71, Mike157, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  6. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    That's the way to do it - have many different sheaths/holsters and ways to carry so that you'll have what you need when you need it. I have holsters that I have never used. But if the day comes that I need one, I have it.

Mike157, woodysone, co556guy and 5 others like this.
  7. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Maybe it's like garlic? Peels easier after being mashed first?

8. Siddhant

Siddhant Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion Gus! I am really liking this set up...
    0.jpg

9. jus_gus

Aug 30, 2011
    :thumbsup: Nice set up! I’m glad you liked it. Those Mummert clips are really good for IWB carry aren’t they? I like that finish, what is it called?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Mike157, BIGDORK, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  10. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm liking the DCC clip for my DEK1 kydex sheath. When I make leather sheath for it, I'ma make sure it's built around that brand of clip.

Mike157, BIGDORK, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  11. Siddhant

Siddhant Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Yes, great for IWB. it's the TAD Topo edition
    0-1.jpg

Box_Opener, donscpoo, Mike157 and 6 others like this.
  12. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Double

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  13. StoneAndSteel

StoneAndSteel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    I prefer belt knives to hug pretty close to my body and TekLok's not do that super well. I have been using soft loops from Raven Concealment Systems that have worked pretty well for me. It's not a perfect solution (it still carries higher than I like), but at least it is closer to the body. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

IMG_0654.jpeg

14. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Have you tried gcode type iwb clips?

They'd move the knife down 1/2" or more depending in how you set it up.

[​IMG]

15. StoneAndSteel

StoneAndSteel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    No, I haven’t. Thanks for the tip!

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  16. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    038ABAD4-89AE-4C47-9E9B-1CF809A6DE18.jpeg
    Cutting firewood on a recent very cold morning my dropper caught on something getting out of my truck and snapped like an icicle. So I went through my sheath/pocket clip/ random knife parts drawer (we all have those, right?) and found the sheath mount for an Esee 4. It works nicely and I was able to drop the knife a bit low as I prefer to.

7EF8AC51-21B7-446B-972D-3D54849D9EEB.jpeg View attachment 1484076 View attachment 1484076

mpjustin, Standard78, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  17. jus_gus

Aug 30, 2011
    I posted this in the DEK1 thread, but I think it’s more appropriate for this thread. I recently placed a Mod W - HLR Discreet Carry 1.75” belt clip on my Mashed Cat sheath. This is the same one that Chad offered as an option with his Boot Dagger sheath. It carries lower than the Mummert clip because it can be mounted on the forward side of the DEK1 sheath with the 1” spacing. You don’t have to remove your belt, and it can be used for IWB, under the belt, OWB, and ISP.

DCC Clip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mummert Clip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Odog27, 000Robert, bluemax_1 and 3 others like this.
  18. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Watching this for all the reasons!

I agree with Lorien that the hole spacing de-facto standardization is really really great.
    Personally, I use mini Tech-Loks as I mostly carry small knives, and the full-size ones are silly large for that. However, the small ones have become very hard to find, and that has sent me searching for alternatives.
    That Mummert looks interesting, I should give that a go. Tho I usually carry OWB at 4-o'clock.

Spacing for the minis is 1/4" holes at 0.5" c-t-c, for the full-size it's 0.75" c-t-c.
    Lost of things fit both of those, especially if the clip-thing has one or more slotted holes.

Sagewood has a good implementation of drop-loop bolt-on accessories.

19. Burke

Burke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 1999
    I agree with liking the DCC clips but wish they were stainless. The Mummerts are nice and have some great designs available but not quite grabby enough for pocket carry.

I also like the Spyderco style G-clips (in the same vein as a tech-lok but simpler and lower profile). I think Spyderco does resale orders on them. The Kiah attachments on Survive sheaths are also pretty good. I’ve also used a Bawidamann setup with a stiff piece of hypalon (?) going to a pull-the-dot snap. I like the concept but the implementation seems to end up a bit bulky and I have to take off my belt to undo the snap anyway.

Another good option (although it doesn’t allow for easy on/off) is the square with slightly inset sides. I’ve used this on Winkler and Chattanooga Leatherworks sheaths and it’s sturdy, slim, and can be used for vertical or scout carry.