Maynard's Delkalope

That looks like it's going to be one a really nice looking knife john, I think Steve Johnson was using some stabilized stacked leather for handles a while back, that looked really sharp. I've seen natural canvas micarta used in stacked handles that looked like leather, I guess the possibilities are endless.lol

This is absolutely fascinating for me to watch. Thank you for doing this. It really shows how much work, thought and patience goes into making these.

That looks like it's going to be one a really nice looking knife john, I think Steve Johnson was using some stabilized stacked leather for handles a while back, that looked really sharp. I've seen natural canvas micarta used in stacked handles that looked like leather, I guess the possibilities are endless.lol
I saw one somewhere that was made out of pegboard material, it looked a lot like leather. Ive seen some nice micarta ones too. The possibilities really are endless. I'd like to do some with wooden center barrels, burl with leather spacers would be sweet.

Thanks, John! Neat stuff!

This is absolutely fascinating for me to watch. Thank you for doing this. It really shows how much work, thought and patience goes into making these.

Glad you guys enjoy watching. It probably seems dull to most, but I really enjoy doing this and it's nice to be able to document it.

Hideous stage in the process but there's a handle in there somewheres.

There was a nub on the handle about the size of a pea that was too big to leave, I took it off and shaped it in, hoping between the potassium permanganate and some dye it won't be noticeable when it's finished. Maynard is a lefty so the smooth side is on palm and the nubs will give the back fingers some grip.

Need to fit the antler and make the end cap, which will be an 1/8" piece of Nickel silver with a thin bronze spacer like the rest.

The dark lines in the leather are the thinner pieces of leather, they usually come out darker and give a nice contrast I think.

Cool picture. I'm looking forward to the grinding of all the different materials, especially the junction of the antler! Look good! :thumbup:

Really cool WIP - I'm digging this, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Starting to look John, really enjoying the show.

Thanks for watching gents, I'm l winging it here but if you guys have any questions or something you want to see more of let me know.

I'm gonna try to shape the end cap with the natural shape of the antler, the front end is gonna have to taper down a bit though. Getting anxious to try the potassium permanganate, should be in Tuesday.

Welcome home Shel, it's been warm round cheer. Our snow is melting away fast this side of the mountains, it's been a damn swamp.

That's going to be awesome once complete! :cool: Great work as usual John! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing, love the WIPs!!!:D

Thanks for watching gents, I'm l winging it here but if you guys have any questions or something you want to see more of let me know.

I'm gonna try to shape the end cap with the natural shape of the antler, the front end is gonna have to taper down a bit though. Getting anxious to try the potassium permanganate, should be in Tuesday.

Welcome home Shel, it's been warm round cheer. Our snow is melting away fast this side of the mountains, it's been a damn swamp.

How are you going to do the antler? Sand it, or leave it as is?

It's the first time I've worked with antler, but I've been using mostly 600,1000 grit and steel wool to sand around all the surfaces, just enough to smooth it out but keep all of the detail. It seems to be working out so far. I'll have to do some shaping at the transition point to leather. I'll test out the Pot Perm on a separate piece to see how that goes, hopefully I can get some rich tones out of it and sand out some highlights.

I'm not proud of the fact that I don't even know enough to ask questions. I am learning as you go. Thank you again for teaching this class.

I'd be lying if I said I knew what the hell I was doing, I'm learning right along with you Mack. So far things are coming together on this one, the soldered guard was the big obstacle, but we got through it with a good joint. I've always liked to watch the process of things as much as the final product, glad I'm not the only one:thumbup:

Seems like I've read that you really don't want to get the "Pot Perm" on leather for some reason, so just keep that in mind (and maybe do a bit of fact-checking on that). I could definitely be wrong. I assume you're working the antler separate from the rest of the handle until final fit?

I'll be doing it separate but thanks for the heads up Jared. We'll test it out on some leather when I get it and see what happens.

Thanks Scott, I'm worried about having to shape the antler too much and lose figure. Hopefully it will only be about an inch behind the rear spacer. I left quite a bit of room to be able to shape everything down after it's assembled, 36 individual pieces. The bronze spacers are .005", it's like playing with razor blades, but I think they'll give nice detail. When the guard gets scooped out from the back I think it will all come together.

Back