Mechanic's Knife

I have been working as a mechanic for a long time. I carry a Spyderco Delica, I have it clipped in my shirt pocket. This eliminates the paint scratch worries for me. If I was doing only tire service I would opt for a multi tool in a leather sheath on me belt. It should be worry free as far as paint scratching goes and offer you the most useful options for work.

I would suggest a locking type blade if it’s a folder and I like differing blade sizes small to large. Also a Leatherman is very appropriate and they have locking blade and tools. I have been using a Leatherman Wave for a few years now and it’s served me well.

I like those and they are cheap, so breaking or loosing them is nothing.
They are called Mechanic knife, got them from Mecatechnic web site.
UO40288.jpg

I would recommend a basic slip joint electrician's knife. Google TL-29 knife. They were military issue for many years and I have used them forever. Klein tools makes a pretty good one. I still have one old Camillus model from the 70s in 1095 carbon steel (yes, it will rust but it takes an GREAT working edge quickly and easily). The Victorinox Electrician's knife is very good also.

The one on the left has been my mechanic’s knife for close to 40 years. Always packed in my motorcycle touring kit, it has cut fuel hose, scraped gaskets, stripped wire, cut wire, sliced cheese and sausage, cut my cigars. The sheath is made of thin leather, so it drops in a pocket if needed, but usually it rides on the bike. It was twenty-five bucks in 1981 or 1982.

I think the newer one on the right would serve as well. Thirty-eight bucks. Need a skinnier sheath.

58351ABF-3A6E-4123-9359-B1E4C59A783B.jpeg

i been a motorcycle mechanic all my adult life and I used all sorts over the years if multi tool are your thing use one but you don't need one with all the tools you got around you I would go for one handed opening and closing
good grip and a guard for when your covered in grease and engine oil ATF stuff like that something that can fit in small gaps and hard to reach areas can scrape gaskets strip wire cut rags boxes cut zip ties in small gaps cut radiator hoses other hard plastic and rubber
I would get a lock knife my work knives are a Stanley knife and a cold steel ti lite 4 over the years of used buck 110s SAK Leatherman wave no brand cheap lock knives others i carnt think of the ti lite works best for me the wave feature on knives is good when you need 3 hands which you do at times
good luck and enjoy your new job

http://imgur.com/a/aqcrG6X

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am about to start a new job working changing tires and fixing tires and other mechanically inclinged stuff. I was wondering if you had any good suggestions for a good mechanic's knife- I think that means it should be tough, practical, and cheap in case it gets shredded. I already have a Cold Steel Recon, and I'll probably end up carrying a box cutter anyway, but give me suggestions. And wish me luck with an actual real job!

I'd look into the Hultafors Craftsman VMK-GH. It's meant for work on construction sites etc. Under ten bucks (at least here in Europe it is about 7 euros). Fixed blade from SK5 carbon steel, sharp as hell, very comfortable handle from hard orange plastic with a nice rubber finish, good forward finger guard to prevent slippage, spine works well as a scraper. As cheap as they are you can get half a dozen and not worry about breaking or losing it. These are a bit like Moras but with a somewhat higher grind, thus keener, with a secondary microbevel that makes them hold their edge longer, and the SK5 tool steel is very tough. The blade is narrower than a Mora Companion, so you can get into confines spaces easier. Very good for very fine shaving cuts, and for cutting hoses and so on. Comes with a plastic sheath. Won't scratch paint as it has no clip and no hard edges on the sheath either. If you have an overall with buttons the sheath will clip to one. Given how light it is you could also just carry it as a neck knife on a length of paracord, under your overalls.
Look at http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/knives-blades/craftsmans-knife-hvk-gh/. They may be a bit difficult to find in the US. Otherwise the Hultafors OK4 'Expedition Knife' (or just Outdoor Knife) is a bit easier to find with camping gear sellers. About 25 dollars, thicker blade (3 mm instead of 2), longer tang, similar comfortable handle, sheath with a nylon belt loop and firesteel loop. For detailed cuts and careless dirty work I prefer the Craftsman. Hultafors has a choice of professional knives on their site, interesting to look at. Not ooh-raah bushcraft/survival stuff, just tools. Which seems to be what you are looking for.
For sharpening 'in the field' I use a narrow hardfoam nail file/pad in 100/180 grit. These won't tear up your pockets or damage anything else, the way a metal file would. Quick and dirty, you can polish the edge when you get back to base and your stones and strop but to maintain a working edge on a blade during hard use, it works well.
Good luck with your new job.

I would initially carry whatever you normally carry to start and see what other folks do.

I'd look into the Hultafors Craftsman VMK-GH. It's meant for work on construction sites etc. Under ten bucks (at least here in Europe it is about 7 euros). Fixed blade from SK5 carbon steel, sharp as hell, very comfortable handle from hard orange plastic with a nice rubber finish, good forward finger guard to prevent slippage, spine works well as a scraper. As cheap as they are you can get half a dozen and not worry about breaking or losing it. These are a bit like Moras but with a somewhat higher grind, thus keener, with a secondary microbevel that makes them hold their edge longer, and the SK5 tool steel is very tough. The blade is narrower than a Mora Companion, so you can get into confines spaces easier. Very good for very fine shaving cuts, and for cutting hoses and so on. Comes with a plastic sheath. Won't scratch paint as it has no clip and no hard edges on the sheath either. If you have an overall with buttons the sheath will clip to one. Given how light it is you could also just carry it as a neck knife on a length of paracord, under your overalls.
Look at http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/knives-blades/craftsmans-knife-hvk-gh/. They may be a bit difficult to find in the US. Otherwise the Hultafors OK4 'Expedition Knife' (or just Outdoor Knife) is a bit easier to find with camping gear sellers. About 25 dollars, thicker blade (3 mm instead of 2), longer tang, similar comfortable handle, sheath with a nylon belt loop and firesteel loop. For detailed cuts and careless dirty work I prefer the Craftsman. Hultafors has a choice of professional knives on their site, interesting to look at. Not ooh-raah bushcraft/survival stuff, just tools. Which seems to be what you are looking for.
For sharpening 'in the field' I use a narrow hardfoam nail file/pad in 100/180 grit. These won't tear up your pockets or damage anything else, the way a metal file would. Quick and dirty, you can polish the edge when you get back to base and your stones and strop but to maintain a working edge on a blade during hard use, it works well.
Good luck with your new job.

Good call. Unfortunately that knife shows up as discontinued on the sites where I was able to find it. Too bad. It looks a little more refined than the Hultafors GK that I use to open frozen car doors. The GK has a hard plastic handle in an unappealing rustoleum green. It is an unlovely thing I have absolutely no compunctions about abusing.

Good call. Unfortunately that knife shows up as discontinued on the sites where I was able to find it. Too bad. It looks a little more refined than the Hultafors GK that I use to open frozen car doors. The GK has a hard plastic handle in an unappealing rustoleum green. It is an unlovely thing I have absolutely no compunctions about abusing.
I saw that, too. Seems to be mostly in the US, European sites still have it in stock and Hultafors themselves still mention it, so it must be the Northamerican importer(s) that discontinued them. See http://www.hultafors.com/hand-tools/knives-blades/craftsmans-knife-hvk-gh/. Apparently Hultafors does not consider the NA continent as one of their markets, even though some online stores there sell their products. Campsaver.com has a few HF knives but not the Craftsman. You can get the OK4 there, which is a great little belt knife for camping and bushcraft, but a bit too nice to abuse in a garage workshop.
Of course Mora also makes similar models with hard plastic handles and largish finger guards, carbon steel blades etc. and if these are available they would be a good choice. The idea is to carry a lightweight, cheap fixed blade that you can draw with one hand while you are holding onto something with the other, that won't let you down and does not need to look pretty as you're going to abuse it anyway (or use it hard). Moras have clips on their sheaths (at least most do) that allow you to just clip them directly to the edge of a pocket (jeans, overalls) so there is no need for a belt.

Have had the triage for about 3-4 days and i love it, cant say how many times the blunt tip has come in handy, the best part is you can pry on something while holding it and you dont have to worry about stabbing yourself, ive cut dozens of valve stems with it and have used it to pry diesel fuel filters out of the cummins housing, works like a charm. Havent used the hook yet but it is razor sharp. I keep finding more and more uses for the blunt tip. Plus these g10 scales are grippy! Even with dirty greasy hands.

06741decf45d46f8bc30249e5deaaca0.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up. I put it in my watch list he offered me another discount. I thought it is too good to be true. It came today and it’s legit. It’s my 4th one and they are all identical. I wonder if they discontinued that model?

It’s an odd knife and you either love it or hate it. The blade looks twisted but that is what makes it such a good pryer.

Last edited:
He’s a straight up guy, he’s the one i got my infidel from, he also has mini infidels and presido IIs i also believe he has a few spyderco as well. He met a guy that lived in NC and a hurricane destroyed his home on the coast but he had to sell his business inland to help cover the house. He was a older gentleman so he wasnt familiar with ebay or the internet. He supposedly is buying them up from the guy at a bargain

Thanks for the heads up. I put it in my watch list he offered me another discount. I thought it is too good to be true. It came today and it’s legit. It’s my 4th one and they are all identical. I wonder if they discontinued that model?

It’s an odd knife and you either love it or hate it. The blade looks twisted but that is what makes it such a good pryer.
ght

Way back when, I did mechanical work, auto body repair, and fabrication welding, I had a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT/6OT on my belt 24/7/365.25, along with a 4 blade Scout/Camp knife in my pocket. There was also a Barlow or stockman sharing pocket space with the Scout/Camp knife.

Back