Melting Nickels

What I want to know is how would they know it was a pile of their nickels once its a puddle in the bottom of a crucible. I wouldn't do it wholesale or take out an ad in the paper. One of us melting nickels for guards could hardly do the economy as much harm as the government itself has done. I do not advocate breaking the law (I do notice that in they are calling this a "rule"?????? :rolleyes: I just know that if I decide to melt any nickels I will do it before 2005:D Oh, the quilt would never let me do it.

But, I do have access to lots of graphite arc gouging rods and have a welder. How do you melt with these.

Last edited:
if you were going to melt them and pour them into a mold..what would you use for a mold?...could you use damp silica sand?

Dry Sand, clay, porcelain, graphite, or silicon carbide molds are good to use.
It CANNOT be damp, unless you want molten metal blowing back into your face... :eek:

I never was very good with dates.:D Plus I am getting close to 60 so I can always "act" a bit senile and wwith my history it would be easy to believe:rolleyes:

Just remember you are the one that said that, not any of us. :)

Bruce,

Sorry I just found your question about 60/40mix. I got mine from an Ice Cream manufacturer. I did some work for them replacing fruit stirring blades made from the 60/40 monel. As I replaced them I got to keep the leftovers. They were replaced with UHMW. I was told that the orig blades were over 2000/set. It was about .390 thick 4x9". I wound up with about 50lbs. However the source has dried up so I have a bit left and use it very sparingly. Are you going to be at Blade West?? If so I will bring a piece for you...

Bruce,

Sorry I just found your question about 60/40mix. I got mine from an Ice Cream manufacturer. I did some work for them replacing fruit stirring blades made from the 60/40 monel. As I replaced them I got to keep the leftovers. They were replaced with UHMW. I was told that the orig blades were over 2000/set. It was about .390 thick 4x9". I wound up with about 50lbs. However the source has dried up so I have a bit left and use it very sparingly. Are you going to be at Blade West?? If so I will bring a piece for you...

Hi Chuck,
I plan to be at BladeWest. Please bring the ice cream blades if you can. Sounds interesting.

Bruce,

Monel is a good source for what you want to do. It's a lot easier to deal with than melting nickels. http://www.espi-metals.com/metals/catmonel.htm. Another source is iconel. It's used for stuffing boxes in submarines.

There are a lot of old propellor shafts made from monel. I have some slices of 2" roundstock and have been using it for hardware.

Gene

I have some 1/2" thick inconel. It is from the good end of used hangers in a furnace. Inconel is very very red hard and used for all kinds of high heat applications. It is a high nickel alloy (70+%) with 17% or more chrome. I also have some monel, it is about 2/3 nickel and a 1/3 copper. It is very corrosion resistant and fairly soft. Both are very spendy unless you get it scrap or remnant.

I have some 1/2" thick inconel. It is from the good end of used hangers in a furnace. Inconel is very very red hard and used for all kinds of high heat applications. It is a high nickel alloy (70+%) with 17% or more chrome. I also have some monel, it is about 2/3 nickel and a 1/3 copper. It is very corrosion resistant and fairly soft. Both are very spendy unless you get it scrap or remnant.

Is the inconel hard to machine? I'm looking for 1/2" thick nickel plate to make a pistol/knife. The inconel sounds about right with its high nickel content if it machines and is scratch resistant.

I have cut it with a saw and drilled it, never tried to machine it. I will bring some along for to Blade West. How big a piece to you need. I think I have some 1/2" thick and 3" wide. I take it the nickel didn't work out.

I have cut it with a saw and drilled it, never tried to machine it. I will bring some along for to Blade West. How big a piece to you need. I think I have some 1/2" thick and 3" wide. I take it the nickel didn't work out.
Yes the nickel did work out but its a pain to have to put it and nickel powder in a canister and weld it together just to make a bar. I'm very interested in the inconel you have. My goal is to make a solid nickel pistol and knife bolsters ect. Right now I'm playing with nickel plating 1018 and its working out but if I can get solid stock it would be cool.

Ok, I will drag a chunk down with me when I come to blade west and you can play with it. I find a hanger in my metal pile and get it in the Escape. The wife is used to odd pieces of metal in her car anyway.

Last edited:
Melting nickles is illegal, Due to the fact that currency is technically US property. I personally think that they're not going to hunt you down if you melt a few nickles, though. Nickle that is usually used in knives has a much larger nickle content than that of the coin. Pre- 1982 pennies would probably work better because they almost solid copper, unlike the ones today that are mostly zinc.

Melting nickles is illegal, Due to the fact that currency is technically US property. I personally think that they're not going to hunt you down if you melt a few nickles, though. Nickle that is usually used in knives has a much larger nickle content than that of the coin. Pre- 1982 pennies would probably work better because they almost solid copper, unlike the ones today that are mostly zinc.

Welcome to Shop Talk
I cant believe you found this old thread. Thanks for the warning. I still think nickels would make some killer bolsters and guards for knives.
I will try to post a picture of the one I cast pure nickel powder into a billet and made the guard and pommel from. Right now it is at Tom Ferrys for his artistic touch with the engraving.

Back