Message from Bura. Please read.

There has been panic in the shop since I sent email telling them about the edge failures. Bura has stepped up and sends this message which is heavily edited for forum consumption.
==================================================================

We are going to start making the edges thicker (my guess is we may start seeing convex edges again) and I have instructed all the kamis to test the edge of every knife they make immediately after hardening and if the pine (hardness) is not as it should be put it back in the forge and harden it again until it is right. I am the only kami in this shop who knows how to make a good thin edge. The rest of these men are khukuri makers and cannot make anything but a khukuri and sometimes they cannot even do that.

If you send more models that have thin edges I want to modify them to a thicker edge configuration. This will allow the other kamis to make knives that will not fail. I do not have time to make every knife with a thin edge.

The very lives of all of us and our families depend on our employment at BirGorkha and I will not allow a few stupid sloppy incompetent kids to ruin our reputation and destroy our lives.
=======================================================

We'll see what they do.

Does anybody besides me get the impression that Bura is not pleased with the turn of events?

True craftmanship is truly expressed Buras letter. There is something to be said regarding pride in your work. Great response. I hope things continue "status quo.";)

Does anybody besides me get the impression that Bura is not pleased with the turn of events?

uhh, Yep! Good news that the Kamis (or at least one of them) really understand what you tried to tell them. In the 2 years since I've been on the forum I've seen that trying to get a message to them that is understood the way it was intended can be like trying to nail jello to a tree.

I wouldn't want to be the kami who doesn't do what Bura tells him to

A lot of the best teachers in my life sounded just like Bura.

munk

Strong stuff.

The unedited version must be scalding.

Perhaps his own unease with the current environment is sharpening his reaction.

Is there any chance that requests for Bir Ghorka village models could be taken the wrong way?

I'm going to put in the order for some BirGokha produced village models today and I'm still working on just how to phrase it. Gotta be diplomatic with this one.

Is it neccesary to place an order in advance for one of those?

munk

Originally posted by Bill Martino
I'm going to put in the order for some BirGokha produced village models today and I'm still working on just how to phrase it. Gotta be diplomatic with this one.

How about something like this: "Our customers in America (and elsewhere) understand the problems in Nepal now, and are concerned about the well-being of the BirGhorka employees there. They also understand that money is needed quickly to move the factory to a safer location, and would all like to help. They have suggested that you make afew khukuries as you would make them for your neighbors or yourselves to use. They say that if you make some khukuries without fancy inlay or mirror finishes, and with simple fittings and handles, they will buy them. This way you can make khukuries of the same BirGhorka quality quicker, and more knives can be sold."

Just my attempt to be useful, but I think if you explain it in terms of us the customers trying to help, the kamis won't be insensed. At least I hope so. ;)

I also read where somebody (don't remember who) suggested a fund of some sort so everybody could send a few dollars to help move BirGhorka. I think that's a great idea, and I'd definitely be willing to send a few extra bucks.

the Old Master is taking names and kicking butt. It's just the response one would hope for, although BG must be a pretty tense place today for those who're feeling his wrath.

Glad to hear from Bura on this. Sounds like he's got a handle on things :) I hope he, and all the folks at BirGhorka, know we're rooting for them... <br>

If you send more models that have thin edges I want to modify them to a thicker edge configuration. This will allow the other kamis to make knives that will not fail. I do not have time to make every knife with a thin edge.

I suggest we give these guys a little leeway and allow them to make the knives they do best. I am more interested in getting a top quality traditional Nepali knife then a low quality knife that is foreign to them. BTW, someone should tell them that we are not quite a land of giants. It would be nice to see a few normal Nepal sized handles once in a while.

A big thumbs up:
1) To Bura - I like his attitude
2) To Uncle Bill - for sharing this with us
3) To the return to convexed edges (just charge a few $ more if you
have to)

N2S

Originally posted by not2sharp
BTW, someone should tell them that we are not quite a land of giants. It would be nice to see a few normal Nepal sized handles once in a while.

A big thumbs up:
1) To Bura - I like his attitude

2) To Uncle Bill - for sharing this with us

3) To the return to convexed edges (just charge a few $ more if you
have to)

N2S
N2S has reflected my feelings well. I really do hope the thicker edges are from the very detailed sketch you sent them Bro and not a more obtuse saber grind.

If Bura is talking about the YCS and Cherokee Rose models I didn't think the edge was that thin as both were either a convexed edge or a convexed blade.
All of the old khukuris I have seen, almost all, had much thinner blades and edges than today's models, but they all had the convexed edge in common, with sometimes the radius going way up the blade.
I will take Bura's words to heart if any more models come from Catoosa.

I'm under the impression that all the blades that failed were khukuris with the thin hollow ground edges and not any of the specials, am I wrong?

He was bitching specifically about the M43 and warning us about any future models we might ship over.

Bura wrote (per Uncle Bill) -

"I will not allow a few stupid sloppy incompetent kids to ruin our reputation and destroy our lives."

- Bearing in mind, of course, that these stupid sloppy incompetent kids probably know more about traditional 'smithing than anybody in the whole of Europe...

I think we've seen the last of the soft edges. Furthermore, I predict that the blades that come out of BG in the next few months are going to be something really special. When craftsmen of this level feel they have something to prove, it's a very good time to buy.

When craftsmen of this level feel they have something to prove...

That's exactly why I wouldn't want to be in Uncle Bill's shoes asking for "village" models.!!! Tricky business, I suspect.

Blame it on the "crazy Americans"--first they want mirror polish, then they want hammer marks--crazy for sure.

Second n2s.

The others "think" they are the best kamis in Nepal and, in truth, they are some of the best. Bura "knows" he is the best and displays a certain amount of arrogance and impatience that goes with his territory.

Tom, if you could watch those guys work for a day or two you would just go away shaking your head and probably never fire up your forge again.

Considering that Bura and all the rest of the kamis are Hindu, I'd bet that Bura just gave them all one heckuva memorable "come to Jesus" meeting.

Back