Message from Bura. Please read.

Bearing in mind, of course, that these stupid sloppy incompetent kids probably know more about traditional 'smithing than anybody in the whole of Europe...

Actually, there are some VERY talented smiths in Europe...most notably, Peter Johnsson. His swords are nothing short of breathtaking. Then there are some Czech smiths that are very good too...Pavel Moc, Patrick Barta, Richard Kazda, etc.

I like Bura's attitude. He's got the guts to say what he thinks about the other smiths and these outlandish orders for thin edges, and he can back it up too, should anybody be stupid enough to try and fight him on that.

I was wondering....what a clod...of course; Hindu! The Upanishads! Alright.

munk

Originally posted by munk
I was wondering....what a clod...of course; Hindu! The Upanishads! Alright.
munk

As William James put it:

CONGRUENCY
USEFULNESS
LUMINOSITY

( definition of "truth" ).

Isn't it nice to have the lightbulb in your head go on once in a while?

Today when I'm reminded that others don't think the way I do, I'm as happy about it as I am that boys are different than girls. And for the same reason - "Now this could be fun!!!!".;)

All, I can say is that Im am relieved that Bura made my BAS. Saying that the Durba BAS I got for my father in-law looks pretty mean but I havent tested it as I want to give it to him all shiny and ready for him to marvel at it.

HI will never go out of business as long as they keep making khuks like this !! Ill keep buying

B

Originally posted by Kmark

"Actually, there are some VERY talented smiths in Europe...most notably, Peter Johnsson. His swords are nothing short of breathtaking. Then there are some Czech smiths that are very good too...Pavel Moc, Patrick Barta, Richard Kazda, etc."

I'm not familiar with the smiths you refer to, but I'm sure they do fine work; and the best blademakers in the world, possibly in history, live and work in the USA; but they have their belt-grinders and power hammers and propane forges and oxy torches. At the very least, they have two/three hundredweight anvils with bicks to bend and bevel with. The guys at BG shape their blades over 'anvils' the size of my hardie tools, curve the khuks without bicks (how do they do that???)and draw down thick springs into slender blades by muscle power alone. Instead of a leg vise, they hold the work between the soles of their feet. That's what I was thinking of when I specified 'traditional'. And that's *skill*.

Uncle Bill said -

"Tom, if you could watch those guys work for a day or two you would just go away shaking your head and probably never fire up your forge again."

Damn straight.

Back