micarta smell?

One of my favorite carry knives is the Calypso Jr. When I bought it, I noticed the Micarta handle had a very weird smell. It used to smell strongly, but has lessened with time, though the smell is still there. Is this common? And is it caused by the chemicals in the Micarta? This is not a complaint, but I am curious. Jim

Did you rinse the knife in clean warm water then dry it? sometimes it can be the oil used to lubricate it. Hope I help,
PR

------------------
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

Military "Military" fans unite!!!

Mine smells like...Victory...

Sorry, last post made me think of the great line by Robert Duvall in "Apocolypse Now",
what a great line and actor.
Knife content, uhhh.
wink.gif

Mine smelled like.....a combination of the inside of used sparring gloves mixed with some type of food (can't quite name it).>
frown.gif
smile.gif
Actually, thanx for the replies and the laughs. Yes, I did wash it before, and since it's lessened, I suspect the smell may eventually go away. Not a problem, though it bothered me at first. Jim

Strictly unofficial post here, but I have heard quite a few comments from customers about this...
The overwhelming "thread" (for lack of a better word) about the smell, is that the micarta seems to take on the smell of what it's exposed to. This is completely non-technical, only reporting what customers tell me. Debbie here in Customer Service, hers smells like Downy Fabric Softener, my husband's smells like tobacco, etc....
We've heard some pretty strange stories about smells that got absorbed into their micarta...believe me, you don't even want to know....

Danelle
custsvc@spyderco.com

------------------
Sometimes you don't realize how much you have,
until you see that someone else wants it...

Which doesn't explain why mine smells like chow mein, as I never eat the stuff. Smelled that way right out of the box, in fact. James Mattis, do you eat chow mein? (I got my Calypso from Chai Cutlery.) I know the knife was manufactured in Japan. They don't eat chow mein in Japan, though, do they?

Keep thinking, Danelle.
smile.gif

David Rock

David,

I think that final coment is in poor taste. It seems very condesending. Not sure that was the intent. But I did want to point that out.

Regards,

Tom Carey

[This message has been edited by Tom Carey (edited 12 March 1999).]

Maybe you could put one of those car fragrance tree's on it.
smile.gif
(I just put a new one in my car.) Just kidding.
Blades

Isn't Micarta a fabric and epoxy? I wouldn't think that would pick up an odor. I just smelled mine and of course my wife walked in while I was doing it

------------------
Frank
jqsurf@worldnet.att.net

<LOL> Frank, if my wife caught me doing that she would say,"Okay, That's it! You gotta get rid of those things!" I would reply, "But I just want to savor the wonderful smell of dinner last night. Please, Honey... take a sniff."

sing

I am beting this will work. Throw it in the firdge with a fresh box of good ole Arm and Hammer baking soda. That has always been a great way to kill odors. I have this feeling it will work. Of course you may just be able to put it is some sort of container or any enclosed space.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Wow. Tough crowd.

Tom, I wish I knew on what grounds you found my comments offensive.

Is there something inherently wrong with chow mein, or with people who eat it, such that my comparison must inevitably be interpreted as a disparaging remark? Let the record show: I don't believe there is anything wrong with chow mein or with people who eat it. I'm sure it's wholesome and delicious.

Is there something wrong with knives made in Japan, or with the people who make them? Let the record show that I do not believe this for a moment.

Is there anything false or demeaning in pointing out that Japanese people don't, as a general rule, eat chow mein? Am I mistaken? DO they eat chow mein in Japan? If so, pardon my ignorance. Let the record show: some of the nicest people I know don't eat chow mein. Let the record also show: some of the nicest people I know do eat chow mein.

The point I was trying to make in my other posts in this thread is that (a) my Calypso Jr. BM has an unusual smell that reminds me of chow mein, and (b) I don't think the smell was actually caused by contact with chow mein. In point of fact, I was not even complaining about the smell. The smell doesn't bother me. I'm just an observant person, and I happen to have an unusually well developed gift for analogical thinking.

These are the facts, to which I will add this one: I love my Calypso Jr.

With apologies to everyone, including you, Tom,

David Rock

PS:
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 13 March 1999).]

Micarata is known to soak liquids like gasoline (making a nice torch!). The material isn´t as "solid" as G-10 (but more classy, I think). Carrying the knife close to your scrotum might make the handle take on a mysterious smell. Also try to avoid soaking the handle in various dishes...

David. I belive I mentioned that is was that very last statement that did it. Hmm lets see does Keep thinking ring a bell? I was also not certain it was intended to be the sort of statement that it seemed to be.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Oh, now I see it. You mean THAT last statement. I was looking at the other one.

Sorry Danelle. Sorry Tom. I don't know what my intention "seemed" to be, but I assure you I meant no offense.

David Rock

I noticed the strange smell too. I tried using "Fabreeze" sold in the laundry department, used to eliminate odors from fabric. Micarta is a fabric... Works too. As for Japanese eating chow mein, being of Japanese descent myself, growing up in Japan. I have eaten chow mein (an American dish). So yes, Japanese do eat chow mein.
smile.gif

Sorry, too quick with the "Post" button.

[This message has been edited by DonL (edited 15 March 1999).]

I've worked around plastics for a while now, and I've had some experience with phenolics. My Jr., when new, reminded me of exactly the type of resins used in a few different phenolic thermoset materials I've been around. It gradually lessened, then my wife started carrying it and it gradually picked up a very light scent from my wife's perfume from her little purse bottle. Then I was doing a sharpening/gun cleaning session, and I spilled on it. *Sni-i-i-i-f-f-f* Ahh...Hoppe's No. 9! It took a week for my wife to trade back for my Sebenza.

Pelle, you're one of those guys who believe in "deep concealment", aren't you?
wink.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

The first sign of poor craftsmanship is wrinkles in the duct tape.

Back