Military designs

Figure, since I've now got 4 that are either designed at the request of, or are traditionally military, or that I've designed that way- ... um, what was I saying?

Oh yeah, militray knife thread.

Going to start off with a recap:

It took me a while to get around to this- about 1.5 years, in fact.

I wanted the trail knife to have two versions, the second version being a micarta, shadetree, or G10 handle material with an exposed tang at the rear and some sort of blade coating.

Here, at last, is the first one. I used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue for it, it's pretty hard wearing, easy to use, and easy to touch up:

Anyway, knife specs.

OAL: 13" Blade 7 3/8" Length of scales approx 4 3/4 inches

Steel: 5160, quenched with the spine against the tank rim (this slows things down on the spine end of cooling and reportedly gives me a low, 50 Rc on the spine), tempered 3 times with a downward ramping temperature. Differentially tempered along the upper spine for a bit more beatability.
Thickness of steel is .23 inches through the tang, maintained through the first 2/3 of blade length.

Grind: Full convex. Distal taper predominantly near the front third of the blade.

Weight: 17 ounces.

Scales: shadetree phenolic burlap base, in black. Brass pins lightly washed with bluing.

photos:

328-preview-0001.jpeg

328-preview-0005.jpeg

328-preview-0006.jpeg

The idea behind the trail knife was to have a blade that would work for cutting, chopping, game finishing and rough and ready self defense. Though not necessarily intended to be the finest slicer, it will shave curls, as well as chop. Penetration is extreme, the fluid geometry just sucks right into a cut or puncture.

For the Field Dirk version I wanted a blade coating, durable handle material, and I decided to leave the tang exposed at the rear for hammering.

Dirk in this case references the Spanish/Mediterranean dirk, which is classically single edged for defensive use with the blade spine along the forearm (in an icepick grip). As a fighting knife, the style has a long and successful history, and as a practical knife, the shape evolved into the modern chef's knife, among other things.

Last edited:
And the Chute Knife I've been working on:

332-0002.jpeg

332-0005.jpeg

332-0006.jpeg

Integral guard, G10 scales, gunkote finish.

OAL this is 10.75 inches long with a blade length of 5.4. The steel is 5160, .23 at the tang with a distal taper that increases as you go- .21 right where the top grind starts, .19 about halfway from there to the tip. For all that, it's only 9.75 ounces.

Convex grind in that I would call a Randall style, flat and shallow angles.

The guard holes are .25 inch diameter. I was considering going 3/16, but it may be easier to strong cord this way and with the guard being tempered steel instead of brass, nickel silver, or another softer metal, it's not weakening things.

Tubing pins as per usual, which is really nice in a knife like this, especially. I'd like to find some step flared tubing BOLTS, like chicago screws with a 3/16 hole through the middle- in steel, and then gun koted to match. I haven't sourced them yet. I could probably do it with corbys of the right size, since I have a lathe and can drill them myself. Or I can fabricate from scratch, but that's likely to take about an hour each.

I went with a slightly narrower handle profile than normal on this one, and it's comfy enough, but I may play with that a bit. possibly texturing is all I really need.

Gun Kote is nice. I think I may want to switch to one of the browns, but I'm undecided.

Not a big exposed tang fan, by I do like both of these styles. Mike

I'm not a fan of the exposed tang in general. The chute knife, of course, doesn't have it or need it because of the tubing pins.

The field dirk- well, quarter inch steel is a lot more comfortable for exposed tangs than thinner steel. I also tried to keep the flow of the handle going, so it's not going to dig into your hand due to an abrupt transition.

Those are both really pretty. The black scales on the dirk look blue in that light. Presumably the real answer is they're deep blue-black and it'll depend on the light. I'd be really curious to feel how it balances. It looks like it has a nice forward balance.

I really like the way the 'chute came out. It screams out for a matching ballistic nylon positive-retention sheath that'd work either way up.

Sierra said the field dirk "wanted to cut things"- definitely some forward balance to it. I'll have to get fod's input on the scales. It's also possible that the camera always wants to add blue tone to things.

The chute knife... I'm thinking of a randall style leather sheath with a QR retention, possibly even spring steel banding outside the leather. Traditionally it should cary a hone in a sheath pocket. I'm debating that.

Update the traditional stone with a diamond-dust hone. :D
Wonder if you could get one custom-made with coated edges? Emergency diamond saw... cut anything hard, and the knife'll cut anything else.

It's possible I might turn up some of the diamond abrasive surface plate. That could be adhered to a small tempered steel plate. I haven't found anything incorporating a cutter in it yet, though. fish hook grooves aplenty!

Chute knife rocks. Sort of a classic chute knife crossed with a bayonet. Looks lethal and handy. Awesome. That looks like a great military knife. That should be a good seller.

edit: I keep checking back on this bad boy. Very cool.

Last edited:
Both great looking knife designs. :cool:

The Chute knife really looks mean (i.e., all business).

The Trail/Fighter looks like a real user to me. :thumbup:

Big Mike

I dunno. I always do a couple cord wraps when it gets close to show time. People like them, and doing a good wrap doesn't take a lot less time than doing scales anyway.

Still, I feel like I'm cheating for some reason.

This one has an underlayer wrap of the countycomm "220" cord, in ACU grey with black dots, and an over wrap of 550 (full, not stripped) in OD.

My second gunkote knife finish.

Still have to rehone the edge and do the sheathwork. It's 5160, and fairly BIG, as the trail knife pattern should be. 12.75 OAL and the blade is 7. Penetrator tip style.

Really, a very comfortable hold

333-preview-0003.jpeg

333-preview-0005.jpeg

333-preview-0001.jpeg

Last edited:
updated photos for the black cord wrap field dirk:

AOL 13 inches with a 7.25 inch blade.

5160, cord wrapped, gunkote.

just better photos:

333-0002.jpeg

333-0003.jpeg

333-0005.jpeg

333-0007.jpeg

I'm a wood worker and I love the old bench dogs.

I use the bench- often in ways that would make a cabinetmaker shudder, but I use it often. The dogs are far easier to use than most modern clamping arrangements. I hope to make a new table out of oak, walnut, or something.

I love that big 13" Dirk.....:thumbup:
It would be awesome with one of your Explorer sheaths.
Are you taking orders on the Dirk anytime in the near future?

The burlap dirk is wearing an explorer, and the cord wrap is wearing expedition - both sheaths are almost done, but not pictured yet.

On the big end of my shop, I have some orders to finish, but have the rough work done on another 3 of the dirks so far.

updated photos for the black cord wrap field dirk:

AOL 13 inches with a 7.25 inch blade.

5160, cord wrapped, gunkote.

just better photos:

333-0002.jpeg

333-0003.jpeg

333-0005.jpeg

333-0007.jpeg

I really really like this one. It would look good uncoated with like a hemp wrap too. Nice piece.

I'm not fond of cord wrapping, don't think it is really practical for a user, although I must say that the dirk in cord wrapping looks vicious. In fact the smooth finish makes it look more dangerous than the chute knife. Beautiful design, might have to consider one of these as a tactical "kitchen" knife.

Back