Military pocket clip and ergo

Exactly what was expressed in the latest video from Spyderco!

Tip down for anything over 3.5" and backlock is the best lock!

I believe the police model is slightly longer than the military and it has a tip up option.

Mike

I found most spyderco clips aren't ergonomic. They usually fit the opposite hand better. A knife with the clip for left hand carry feels better used with my right hand and the other way around. When I use my military left handed my middle finger falls right into the dip of the clip. Provides more traction for me. The same thing happens for my spyderhawk. I carry it in my left back pocket and the clip fits right under my right hand middle finger in use. Most every knife i own with a clip feels better in hand with the clip removed. Of course it's a trade off to have the knife readily available instead of digging in a pocket or sheath.

x0p5bnv.jpg

QDsL25j.jpg

Do you feel a big difference between the stock clip and the Lynch clip? Colorodo Colorodo (I think I tagged you correctly.)

I may try one out, but wouldn't mind hearing your impressions first.

I think any knife will feel much better I. Hands after removing the clip. The clip is a compromise.

All my millies have the clip removed. I carry on my right rear pocket in a bandana.

The Millie is a little uncomfortable, but I am used to it. I don't really care whether a knife is tip up or tip down. I just want the darn lanyard hole, and pocket clip on the same side so I can pull it out by its lanyard.

Let me start by saying that I am a big Military fan (currently have six) and I know the Military is a long-proven model. The ergonomics of it is also among the best folding knives that I have ever tried.

With that being said, only when I removed the pocket clip of two of my Military folders recently did I realize that the pocket clip contributes so negatively to the ergo. I believe the tip-down only position is a major factor here too. I mean, with the clip on the ergo is still good but if you remove it, boy the ergo becomes even much better. Suddenly the knife feels much thinner and more comfortable in hand. If you have not done so, I suggest you to give it a try.

Anyone share this feeling? Anyone carry the Military without the pocket clip? Any after market pouch or sheath for it?
I agree. I like the feel much better without the clip. I carry it in back pocket next to wallet so I don’t need the clip.
Another mod I like is putting 3M grip tape on the handles. You don’t have to sand the handles smooth to do this. If you like really strong traction try it. It sticks securely but can still be peeled off. About $10 for a roll that will last a lifetime at Home Depot.

I agree. I like the feel much better without the clip. I carry it in back pocket next to wallet so I don’t need the clip.
Another mod I like is putting 3M grip tape on the handles. You don’t have to sand the handles smooth to do this. If you like really strong traction try it. It sticks securely but can still be peeled off. About $10 for a roll that will last a lifetime at Home Depot.

So does it fall over at all? Like eventually land sideways in your pocket at some point? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I didn’t feel any difference.

Thanks, Colorodo! I ended up getting a Lynch clip and, like you, didn't notice a big difference in feel. That was my first Military and I loved it so much I'm now looking for a fluted titanium one like you posted above. What a beautiful knife!

I actually think the knife is perfect with the tip down carry, too. I think it's more out of habit, but I usually carry tip up. With a knife the length of the Military, I think the tip down makes perfect sense.

The Millie is a little uncomfortable, but I am used to it. I don't really care whether a knife is tip up or tip down. I just want the darn lanyard hole, and pocket clip on the same side so I can pull it out by its lanyard.

Well if you want pull it out by the lanyard you have to cary it tip up. Correct, or what am I missing?

Mike

I have a Police 4 and frankly it looks ugly as compared to Military. The Millie also has better ergo.

Are you saying the Police looks ugly because it has a tip up option? I never noticed a tip up or down changing the looks of a knife to me. I like tip up for two reasons, one I'm just used to it. I swap knives out fairly often and it's very nice to have some consistency. Reason two, I usually use a lanyard, it really helps me pull the knife from my pocket.

Mike

I want the lanyard hole on the same end as the clip. The clip cannot be moved to the same end as the lanyard hole.

Well yes I get that. That would make it "tip up" carry as I said. I've never seen a lanyard hole on the pivot end of the knife!

Mike

"How could you be so obtuse"!
th

Sorry if my previous comments were confusing. Let's try a picture. I wish the Military pocket clip/lanyard hole were constructed just like this.:)
IMG_0553.jpg

Back