Mini-Jungles

Here is a picture of a new model we got in on the last shipment.

mini-jungle.jpg

It measures 12.5 inches tip to tip, with a blade length of 8 inches. The handle is rosewood. While this model is obviously not a "super-chopper" it is, I think, a great belt-knife good for cutting and light chopping. I've got enough to go around, and I wanted to offer them to forumites for $40.00. I'm going to put them up for $49.00 in about a week. Of course, they are still made like the rest, and include the same guarantee. They come mirror polished and razor sharp (I've already "blessed"
smile.gif
one I sent out a couple of days ago).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Well, Craig, I will just have take you up on that generous offer. I'll email you.

sing

Sing: got your email. I'll start polishing a mini-jungle and a WWII.

Donovan: your's too.

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 16 July 1999).]

Thanks, Craig. The WWII is going to a neighbor in Maine who wants to use it for trail clearing. Be interesting to see what he thinks. His played a little bit with my HI khukuri's.

sing

Sing, I think it was a relative of yours who just called me to order one of the handle-less khukuris. I told him that if he had trouble fashioning a handle, that he could return it to me and that I'd get him a normal, completed khukuri. I was wondering if the "friend" you were buying the WW for was him, but you've answered that question (I didn't say anything to him in case it was a surprise).

And here's a little blub from the latest mini-jungle customer, who just received his:

I received my Mini-jungle yesterday and all I can say is that I love it,
definitely one of my favorites. So Craig, what am I missing in my
collection? Would you recommend the Sirupati or Panawal? Keep in mind that I
want engraved models. I'm also partial to brass handles but horn is fine .
Let me know what you think and if we need to order let's get it going.

The guy was injured in an automobile accident, and doesn't get out much, so I told him to hold off until more sirupatis came in (the Panawal - a purely functional monster, is not for him).

Be sure to let me know what you think of the WWII when you get it.

Later.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

You probably got called by MadDog2020. Trying to get him to try a khukuri. He does alot of outdoors stuff, more hunting and fishing than anything else. I am sure he can clear a stand better with a khukuri. He also works in some kind of R.D. place for machinery/mechanical things. So, I am not surprised he wants to put his own handle together.

No, the WWII will go to a neighbor in Maine who watches out for and takes care of my camp. He'll use it to clear stuff around his property and trails. He is used to and attached to his chainsaw. Be interesting whether the khukuri will serve his needs (I think it will.) If he uses the khukuri enough, I let him have a go at it with the some of my HI's to see what he thinks. He certainly has alot more opportunities to use khukuri's than me on my occaisonal visits.

sing

sing

Sing: good to go. I was initially hesitant (as I always am) to send out the handle-less khukuris (nothing to do with MadDog's skill). Mostly because I don't want somebody to try the project and fail, and be unhappy with the situation.

I told him to go ahead and put a handle on, and that, if he was unhappy, to return the thing to me for an exchange to a completed khukuri, or a refund if he wanted it. I am eagerly awaiting news of his and other people's finished products. I am not brave enough (or talented enough) to attempt my own handle. A friend has one of the project-khuks, and is doing a white sambar deer handle. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

Got the Mini-jungle and WWII today. Fast. Thank you.

I love this mini jungle, fit and finish are very good. Love the scroll work and I guess a bit of (?)brass inlay. Small, light, fast -- good for backpacking, and a martial blade craft/defense oriented tasks. THe sheath is good. The chakma and karda lack the same finish.

The WWII is also nice. But I would have to say there were minor things with finish. The blade was not sharp. Took my diamond hone out of the desk and had it sharp in ten minute. Some slight blemishes on the handle. Good sheath. Chakma and karda are the same as above in quality. The weight and dimensions of the WWII seem similar to my HI Sirupati (17").

I am itching to use these but will have to wait. I am happy with both. The prices are certainly more than right.

Thanks,

sing

Sing: glad you like your new khukuris! I usually ship the blades razor sharp, but on a hunch, I decided not to. Glad you gave it an appropriate edge.

As for the mini-jungle, I am growing to like those more and more. Lalit had been after me for a while to get some in, and I had been reluctant. He ended up sending me a couple anyway, and they were very nice. They were fully engraved (like the engraved presentation), and they went fast.

You are correct - the inlay is brass. My only question is the term "scroll work." Please educate me if I'm wrong, but I had always assumed that scroll work was a term used to define the brass engraving found on the butcapp of the HI khukuris. I'll ask Bill about that one too. From what I know, the work on the blade is a "sword-of-shiva" pattern. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 21 July 1999).]

Craig,

I believe you are correcting me. I just used whatever term that came immediately to mind.
smile.gif
Whatever it's correctly called it's a beautiful piece of detail.

I really think that mini jungle is great knife and buy. I rather have that on a backpacking trip than a big bowie (of course, I would have my small Madpoet along too.) I rather have that as an emergency tool in my car. I rather have that next to my bed (it's fast enough for multidirectional slashing and compact enough in tight quarters. I rather have that on a hunting trip, again coupled with my small madpoet. I rather... I boring people, I know.
smile.gif

I think you'll find more customers for it when word gets out.

sing

Craig,
I could be wrong, but I get the impression Sing sort of likes his Mini-Jungle. I guess I better try one to see how I like it too - at that price, it isn't going to max out the credit card.
Berk

[This message has been edited by Berkley (edited 22 July 1999).]

Don't worry Berk, I'll send my wife back to Tiffany's with your credit card. She'll take care of the maxing-out!
smile.gif

Hey, for the record, I actually returned something from Tiffany's! (This is Craig's wife, Marya). For our anniversary, Craig gave me two boxes from Tiffany and I could only accept one. So, your credit card is safe! For now.
smile.gif

Marya Gottlieb

Craig,
The Mini arrived sooner than expected. First thought on unpacking: a cute khuk! Definitely the smallest in my collection, but plenty of handle to work with. Seems comparable in quality to my 2 villagers, but with a higher degree of finish: highly polished blade, scrollwork & brass inlay not highest quality but nice for the price. Good fit of buttplate to well-finished handle. Scabbard OK, frog marginal, karda & chakma typical village afterthoughts, but chakma is hardened enough to do a good job burnishing blade. Mini came with a sharp edge, 3/8"-thick blade easily chopped through 1-inch hardwood limb, then same 7.5"-long blade handily whittled all the bark off. Try whittling with a 20-incher! Couple strokes with chakma restored blade to sharper than new. Very handy size-will try it in the kitchen for food prep next, then clean and keep in glove box of Jeep. Good value-it's a keeper.
Berk

Berkely,

Sounds like you like yours too. Good piece with a good price. I am glad to have this one in my collection.

sing

Well, now I wish I´d brought two khukuris to Nicaragua. I´m now using my finger nail clipper for all of my cutting needs (sadly, this is not a joke
frown.gif

Craig / Marya,

Please save a Mini-Jungle for me. I'll place the order on the 12th of August. It just happens to coincide with (1) payday and (2) the day my wife leaves to go on vacation with her dad (he's handicapped and she's going along to assist him in his travels).

I figure I need something to console me for the loneliness, the suffering and having to eat my own cooking for 2 weeks (talk about suffering!!!!). Besides, I never did buy my Black Lab a Khukuri for his birthday in June. I got a Panawal, but we agreed I should keep that one for myself.

Addiction? No, I don't have an addiction. These are perfectly good reasons to buy another knife!!

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Blackdog,

I just set aside a Mini-Jungle, and it has your name on it.

Tell me about being lonely! I have to eat my own cooking! (OK, so the cat’s out of the bag. Craig is a better cook than I am. Hope I don’t get in trouble when he gets back and realizes I’ve admitted that on BladeForums).

And our Golden Lab mix will have to talk with your Black Lab. She is our “khukuri” dog.
smile.gif

Marya Gottlieb
Gurkha House

Marya,

Thanks. I'll place the order when I get home from work on the 12th. Tell Craig he doesn't have to "bless" mine. I somehow manage to do that all on my own from time to time
frown.gif
As for our respective cooking skills; I'll see if I can find you a copy of my favorite cook book, "Boiled Potatoes - A definitive study". When I feel like being really creative, I go for broke and cook up some Spaghetti-O's on toast. It's amazing how much abuse the human digestive tract can take.

Oh yeah, Spooky (my oldest dog)is a Black Lab & German Shepherd mix. He is one of the true joys of my life, as I'm sure yours is to you.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03 August 1999).]

Back