Mini-Jungles

Craig,

I threw on a cherry wood handle on to that handle-less WW Khukuri you mailed me a couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to get something on it so I could take it outside and chop up my over grown yard
smile.gif
. I had handled sing's HI Khukuri's about a month ago and was intreged by them. The shape of my handle is not a traditional one. My handle is thicker - sort of reminds me of a handle on a hammer, or an axe. I put one coat of oil based sealer and two coats of glossy finish.

I had a lot of fun chopping up a bunch of over grown forsythia, rose, and azalea bushes. The 1.5" stalks on the azalea were no match - about 3 swings and down came the branches
smile.gif
. Use good smooth swings and let the weight of the knife do the work. My wife thought I was crazy, and my 2 yrs old toddler wanted to grab the shiny knife
frown.gif
. Next time they are out for a couple of hours, I want to go at a stump and see how it chops. So far so good: everything has held together, nothing has come loose
smile.gif
. The handle isn't perfect in regards to the finish, but it works well - I have no intentions of hanging it for display. The GH WW is strickly a work horse.

If some one else attemps a handle, e-mail me and I can offer a few suggestions....it always take more time than you think it would take! Shaping the wood has a kind of ZHEN feeling to it
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 03 August 1999).]

Hey, MD, hope you put a swell on the handle rear. When you get up a good sweat, that blade can fly right out of your hands. NOT A GOOD THING!

You got to show it to me a some point.
smile.gif

sing

sing,

I used the same hardware that came with the WW - the backend has the std brass end caps and was peened over
smile.gif
. Picture the same front and back, but instead of the slim to bell shape, it is more of a straight top with a sloping bottom edge: not exactly like an axe haandle, but sort of flared like that.

I can't tell you if this is ideal, or not: chances are it isn't....lol, the folks in Nepal have been making these for a LONG time. Simple is good
smile.gif

Blackdog: I'm back (with a cigar for you when I can manage to see over the piles of paperwork on my desk).

MadDog2020: You are the first to complete your handle. I'm really happy it turned out for you. Andre Simpson has one in Australia (as well as a couple of other forumites), and I am extremely interested in seeing the pics of the blades. Any chance you could post one in a new thread so we can all see your handywork?

MD did a good job even if it's not the traditional handle. I think there is enough progressive swell towards the end of the handle to keep a grip even in sweaty conditions. The light color (?)cherry wood was interesting though since I used to the darker color rosewood or horn.

sing

Thanks sing
smile.gif
. It does look nice w/ a light colored handle. I just used what wood I had available.

Craig, I can take some pics of it a little later, but I don't know how to post pics here yet: I tried looking at the FAQ's, but I didn't have much luck. If I e-mail them to you can you post them for me?

Thanks,

Ray 'md2020'

Back