Mini Tarwar and Tamang Knife for 1/14

A swift response from Ms. Yangdu has left me no doubt that I will be satisfied with the outcome here. :thumbsup:

I'm going to give the Tamang another little reasonable workout ASAP and see how it does after I straighten out the edge.

I've had a couple chances to get out in the snow and do a little light brush chopping with the Tamang and am happy to report that I have had no more edge rolling or deformation. :thumbsup:

I sure can see why everyone seems to like this blade so much. I'm quickly becoming a big fan myself!

Well, I took my Tamang out today and tried it on a couple of small saplings.

Pretty sad to say I got some bad edge rolling near the tip of the blade. I tried to straighten it out but I cant seem to get it back to "true" where it was. It's probably something I could fix with a stone, but won't the edge just roll there again?

I want to get some advice from all you regular HI blade users and thank you in advance!
I use a ceramic rod and touch up the edge after wood prep... I use a CAK made by Kumar. I can tell that the same happened to me after the first run but I just kept maintaining the edge with my ceramic rod and no more problems. What you probably experienced is a rolled burr or soft spot which will disappear

I too got to try out my Father Military Replica this morning before the monsoons struck. We had a ton of blown town limbs and a few small trees blown over during out big snow.
I'm tickled to report it worked like a champ, made short work of stuff green and dead up to over a couple inches. Felt great and swung with ease. Plumb happy through and through.
With the rain I'll retire to my man cave and clean it up although it don't look like it needs much, the edge held perfectly. I don't mind the rain long as I don't "have" to work in it anymore.

I use a ceramic rod and touch up the edge after wood prep... I use a CAK made by Kumar. I can tell that the same happened to me after the first run but I just kept maintaining the edge with my ceramic rod and no more problems. What you probably experienced is a rolled burr or soft spot which will disappear
I did a bit more chopping today with no trouble at all.

I used a Spyderco Doublestuff 2 pocket stone to fix it up the first time and it is only a bit uneven now.

Nothing but edge stability and joy here in Tamang land! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking I might need another one of these Tamangs eventually.

What kind of edge does the Tamang have? Can yall relate it to another blade like KLVUK, AK, Siru, Farm knife??? Yall just about convinced me to get one someday. Sounds like a great all around camp blade but just dont know enough about it? I need to profile one and add it to my Khukri Kontour map!

I know this response will be lacking but I shall try anyway.

My Tamang has a very similar edge to my VUK (the Chicken Curry Special!), almost identical to my eye, while the larger, thicker Siripati and M43 I have, have more convex type edges.
Its a pretty thin edge, actually, and has stayed very sharp with pretty much no touch ups except for where I worked on the spot where the edge first rolled on me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Kiteman. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Seems like its very near to the VUK's and maybe Farm knife. Hard to tell by photos but I just havent put my hands on one yet. Im thinking its a great first knife for somebody not used to the drop of a traditional Khukri but then again seems like a great light camping / chopper and even crossover for the kitchen. Eventually ill find out. Hard to own one of everything:)

Thanks for the feedback Kiteman. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Seems like its very near to the VUK's and maybe Farm knife. Hard to tell by photos but I just havent put my hands on one yet. Im thinking its a great first knife for somebody not used to the drop of a traditional Khukri but then again seems like a great light camping / chopper and even crossover for the kitchen. Eventually ill find out. Hard to own one of everything:)
I’m 100% witcha on dat Danny! I’ve been very interested lately in a Tamang myself! Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet! Hopefully soon!

I’m 100% witcha on dat Danny! I’ve been very interested lately in a Tamang myself! Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet! Hopefully soon!

You know...
Those who have one already, are waiting to pounce on another.
I still feel like I'm cheating on my other Khukris because I like it so much!
Mine is 18 ounces and for some reason, I think that's a perfect weight for 16 inches length.

edit: I actually got excited when I saw the title said Tamang. Then I realized it was an old post. :(

Back