Mnandis Through the Years - A History in Pics

In order to stabilize spaulting or burl, especially on a soft wood like Beech or Box Elder, you have to use a lot of resin. If you ever look at one of these and get the impression you're looking into the inlay, it's because you are.
When looking at my beech inlays I noticed that it look a bit different, almost waxy/translucent. It's hard to explain. But when I read this post I started thinking about it more and more. What exactly do you mean by "you are looking into the inlay" because of the use of a lot of resin? Do you mean it is so impregnated with resin (inside and on the surface) that it becomes less opaque? Because I definitely see something different in the inlays but I can't put my finger on it.

Just tumbled on to this. Excellent, and thank you Ms. Wolfe. Don’t know if I will ever purchase a Minandi, (Sebenzas, ‘zaans, Bussekin, Shiros, and others absorb my time, and money) - but certainly enjoyed the information and photos.

Did they stabilize the ziricote, or is it all natural? It looks natural to me... but then again, I don't have 30 Mnandis to compare it to! LOL
Looks like you never got an answer. I have one from December 2001 and it is natural.

Jeeze what a great thread. I haven't seen one of these in person, but wow they look nice. I could easily see adding one (or several) to my collection.

To catch this thread up a bit, 2018 brought on a couple new wood inlays, one of which was Striped Platan. It was short-lived asn an inlay, this one being one of the last from 2019, IIRC.2018StripedPlatan_Balcony-1.jpg2018StripedPlatan_Balcony-5.jpg2018StripedPlatan_ArrivalBrat-3.jpg

Another inlay that's become a staple is Bog Oak, here's a 2019 vintage Bog Oak with Chad Nichols Raindrop damascus.

Consignments_BogOakMnandi-Balcony6.jpgConsignments_BogOakMnandi-Balcony3-.jpg

Last edited:
Lone Wolfe -- so glad you updated this thread, as I wasn't aware of it until now. I know I'm late to the party, but, wow! Thanks for all of the time, energy, effort and passion that weny into creating a thread like this. It's a fantastic resource -- and one big bowl of eye candy!

Every few years CRK changes out the woods they use for inlays. As they retire some of our favorites, they bring in new to capture our fancy. One of the new ones for 2016 is Spalted Beech, an interesting wood who's varying colors are caused by invading fungi cultures. This is another inlay who's look can be all over the place, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. Then I saw this one listed at a California dealer, and it had to come to Momma.

lg29GS2.jpg

That is an amazing Mnandi. I had to smile when I read your reaction to finding it, as I felt the same way when I found a similar looking Spalted Beech (albeit on a small Sebenza). It almost looks like a primitive design, rather than the result of any kind of natural process.
Hope you don't mind if I share mine (though happy to delete if not appropriate for this thread)...

hpnvo3g.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice thread, thanks!

I'm sure its not allowed to discuss what Mnandi Mammoth's go for these days but I'd be very pleased if someone would pm me some prices/sales links etc.

Thanks!

Cheers to you, you did a marvelous job putting this overview together.

Kind Regards,
Wouter

I agree, fantastic thread! I learned a lot here. I almost feel bad adding a picture to such an amazing thread, however since this thread is pretty old now, I figured I'd just toss in a sample of the latest generation where they went to the through-hole style instead of the classic nail nick, just to get more attention on this awesome thread. The hole style is another change that is loved by some and not so much by others. I personally like that I can easily open it one handed, as well as even spydie-flick it. I've never seen another Mnandi being spydie-flicked so I don't know if I just got a freak of nature Mnandi or what, but either way I love this little fella.
v9u6zEQ.jpg

Back