Model 110 Gravity knife question

tom19176

Gold Member
I read once in this section of the forum that Buck had modified the model 110 so it could not open with a flick of the wrist. Does anyone know for sure, or when?

Thanks !!!

1974 is the first instance listed in Richard Matheny's definative work...

I'd be interested in knowing what they did...I suspect it was in the blade pivot radius, and the rockerbar tooth...but I haven't compared them to see exactly what Buck changed...

I have a couple of these early 110's...How did you hold it to open them one-handed???

I actually have not been able to open a Buck 110 as a Gravity knife which I view as a good thing. I can open almost any other lock back or liner lock with a flick of my wrist.....years of pratice as a teen....I carry a 110 since it seems legal due to this change and I wish other companies would follow suit....

The oldest 110 I have is a slab-sided two-pin brass spacered long chamfered straightback...If I push the blade release/rockerbar in all the way, the blade will swing free...like a trapeze...but I sure can't figure out how you'd do it one handed... :confused:

Interesting. Yesterday I got my hands on a text doc that described the timeline of the various 110 versions. The SIXTH version (1974) states: "Non gravity design". I sent a note off to the originator asking for clarification.

Why? Cause I'm a curious duck (did I mispell that last word???).

Anyway, I recall that my first 110 could be held by the handle with no fingers being over the spine in the closed postion then you flick it hard and it would open. Once you got it down, it would lock open. After awhile, as the blade loosened from use, it flicked open and locked easier.

I didn't realize that there was a change and have been sitting here night after night with my Alaskan trying to work the blade by opening it and closing it dozens of times a day to loosen it up so it could do that.

Guess I'm wasting my time. But let me tell ya, I got one strong right wrist. Just like in high school. :jerkit: :rolleyes: But at least I won't be going blind :cool: :p

Goose.
BCCI 1190

Buckaholic said:
Interesting. Yesterday I got my hands on a text doc that described the timeline of the various 110 versions...

...Available from Larry Oden by request...[and postage!]...

...But at least I won't be going blind...

If you were, you'd be..."Magoo-se"!!! :D ;) :) :p :cool:

chickentrax said:
...Included with the BCCI Membership Package mailed to new members, so don't forget to send in that check & membership application gang! :D [Application is at top of Forum]

If you were, you'd be..."Magoo-se"!!! :D ;) :) :p :cool:
I didn't get that in my packet. What a GYPsy :( . Got it from knot2sharp on the bay.
And btw, is it just me or is there no data on the BCCI site for the 110 history. Got the 112, but no 110.
Mr. Magoo-se. :cool:

Buckaholic said:
I didn't get that in my packet...

I didn't either...My bad...CRS... :grumpy:

You needed to send Larry $2.00 [or $2.00 postage]for the 110 packet...but that was before the rate increase... :(

I'll correct my post... :thumbup:

Buckaholic said:
And btw, is it just me or is there no data on the BCCI site for the 110 history. Got the 112, but no 110.
Mr. Magoo-se. :cool:
I've been wondering about that myself. The most popular and probably the most collected Buck knife and no info. :(

Here is a short video of my 110 being opened one handed with a flick of the wrist. http://media.putfile.com/MOV0007689 It is a new knife that I sent in for repair, After getting it I did not even think to try because I never did it before w/out using a thumb. My wife asked if I could flip a buck like I do a liner lock and I said some you can (like the Gerber Gator), but not a Buck and went to show her and out pops the blade, like a switch blade. John

johnwaynesandw said:
Here is a short video of my 110 being opened one handed with a flick of the wrist.
John...
I'm thinking that 110 is defective and dangerous. That cat in the background is lucky it has nine lives.
Please...for the sake of others around you and the feline, please send your knife in under the "110 Flipper Amnesty Program". Send me an e-mail for the mailing address to send your knife to. I will pay postage as a public service.
Saving Cats, One Flip at a Time...
Goose.
BCCI 1190

Buckaholic said:
John...
I'm thinking that 110 is defective and dangerous. That cat in the background is lucky it has nine lives.
Please...for the sake of others around you and the feline, please send your knife in under the "110 Flipper Amnesty Program". Send me an e-mail for the mailing address to send your knife to. I will pay postage as a public service.
Saving Cats, One Flip at a Time...
Goose.
BCCI 1190
I did send it in, I did not know how it is defected, I got it from the factory this way. I have used it several time and have not had a problem with it. The blade is not loose. It is easeier to open than my 112 . It feels like the lock bar does not put as much pressure on the blade. I am not being funny but what is defected about this 110?

Ok tarx and goose,

Which one of you is going to pay doctors bill for the tennis elbow I just got trying to flip the blade on my 110!!!!! You guys got me thinking......hay....what about that loose blade 05 tin can special.....maybe...."NOT". All I got for my effort is a sore elbow, it sucks getting old.

When I was a kid early 70's....yes before 74. I gave my older bro a few of my 110's and much to my surprise; he would take them to the work bench, put a quarter down inside the handle on top of the rocker and hit it with a hammer a few times (I have no idea what this did then or now, but it worked). Then he would flick the blade open and repeat this process until the blade flipped out easily. This of course was interesting to my young mind and it also pissed me off that he was abusing the new gift I had given to him.

jb4570
sore elbow
for all the
wrong reasons

Was it a Buck 110??? Could have been several things...beat on the spring, bend it --> less pressure...beat on the rockerbar, bend it --> less pressure...

I've never tried it, and can't think of an earthly reason to do so... :rolleyes:

chickentrax said:
Was it a Buck 110??? Could have been several things...beat on the spring, bend it --> less pressure...beat on the rockerbar, bend it --> less pressure...

I've never tried it, and can't think of an earthly reason to do so... :rolleyes:

I agree with you trax 100%. I have no idea what he bent or loosened in those 110's; but, it did what he wanted and that was to let the blade flip out with a slight flip of the wrist.

jb4570

chickentrax said:
The oldest 110 I have is a slab-sided two-pin brass spacered long chamfered straightback...If I push the blade release/rockerbar in all the way, the blade will swing free...like a trapeze...but I sure can't figure out how you'd do it one handed... :confused:
For those 110/112 units that don't readily flip you can reverse the physics. Instead of flipping the blade, flip the body.

In the closed postion and the point towards the sky, you can grip the blade along the spine with your thumb and forefinger on each side. Flip and voila!

The body of the knife will stop at the base of your palm and by that time your fingers will be around the body for gripping.

This works fairly well with the horizontal carry sheaths that are "open ended" pouch style. Put the 110 in the sheath with the pointed end facing up and out. Grab the blade and flip it open in no time.

With practice you stand a good chance of getting it opened one handed without losing it when you need it. Or get a OAB.

jb4570 said:
This of course was interesting to my young mind and it also pissed me off that he was abusing the new gift I had given to him.
Look at it like he was "pimpin' your Buck"! Hey, at least he didn't paint blue on the handle, gold plate the blade, and put a fuzzy dice key fob on it.
Goose.

johnwaynesandw said:
Here is a short video of my 110 being opened one handed with a flick of the wrist. http://media.putfile.com/MOV0007689 It is a new knife that I sent in for repair, After getting it I did not even think to try because I never did it before w/out using a thumb. My wife asked if I could flip a buck like I do a liner lock and I said some you can (like the Gerber Gator), but not a Buck and went to show her and out pops the blade, like a switch blade. John

That video is of kind of poor quality and you can't even see when you flick it open.

All you see is you holding the knife and then all of the sudden it's open. It's like something is missing from the video.:confused:

Just checking as you had said you where sending in a note to ask for more info ???

THANKS !!!

Back