"Modern" Kukri from HI?

I'm not a particular fan of traditional kukri handle designs, I don't mean to disparage against anyone who does, they just don't appeal to me specifically.

However I do love the kukri blade shape, and for the price, Nepalese blades are hard to beat compared to US/non-Nepalese made KLOs.

I spoke to another kukri house that does custom blades, and for the price, I'm not comfortable with dealing with another company that really isn't recommended as highly or often as HI.

Is there any chance I could get something custom made?

My basic idea for the design is something like this:

NboOmYn.png

The angle of the handle, length, etc is moot in this image as it's a concept, really just to illustrate what a modern style handle shape would look like on a traditional kukri.

Edit: If there is enough interest in this, I'd love to see a group buy of this design. Unfinished blanks could be shipped from Nepal, and sent to reputable forum members who deal in Micarta, to have high quality hardware and handles fitted to each blade. If there are any leather workers that are interested, I'm sure there would be interest in leather sheaths to match.

For the handle material, I think it'd be interesting to use canvas or linen micarta:

BK77HNDL%5Blarge%5D.1332344418.jpg

Which would end up looking something like this, not this color in particular, although I don't mind desert tan at all.

Not sure why this image isn't coming out but if it's possible to have a custom cho/karui on this, I'd pick this one:

OGsAeOm.png

Or no cho/karui at all.

I don't know anything about ideal size, weight, etc; the balance knife I've heard of appeals to me but I honestly have no authority in this area.

Last edited:
Honest criticism? I've heard the cho interrupts stress between the blade and the handle, making the blade less likely to bend or break after a strike. As for micarta, I doubt the kami currently have the tools to press fabric and chemicals. I like fiberglass impregnated handles as much as the next guy (my ZT seems to be indestructible) but asking this of traditional smiths is silly.

And don't mention KH. For many reasons.

Honest criticism? I've heard the cho interrupts stress between the blade and the handle, making the blade less likely to bend or break after a strike. As for micarta, I doubt the kami currently have the tools to press fabric and chemicals. I like fiberglass impregnated handles as much as the next guy (my ZT seems to be indestructible) but asking this of traditional smiths is silly.

And don't mention KH. For many reasons.

The lack of a cho was an or option, it'd probably end up with one since I've heard this before as well.

I kind of forgot to add in an extra line or two about this possibly being a group buy event if there is enough interest (I'm merely suggesting a group buy, I haven't contacted anyone about doing one as of yet), since HI doesn't seem to do one off blades, and it'd be interesting if the Kamis could just provide us with finished blades minus a handle, which would be fitted with micarta handles by one of the skilled forum members here.

Obviously I realize based on videos and pictures I've seen regarding the manufacturing process, most of the workshops in Nepal aren't even as well equipped as your average garage with a few power tools in them.

I wasn't speaking about THE kukri house, just kukri houses in general as in the other large manufacturers out of Nepal.

Last edited:
yeah I am willing to bet that HI would work with you , but the kami and shops are flooded with work-- catching up on old customs and a flood of new customers all asking for stock, so they are going to be very over booked for the next year or so-- if you are willing to wait , HI can make you some fine blades, then you can just get an aftermarket provider to make your custom grips.

You may want to contact Auntie directly @ himimp@aol.com with your requests, concerns, etc, and she'll be better able to see if they can be accomodated.

HI can Likely make Khukuri like the ones in the top picture, but it probably would have to be in wood or horn as Micarta is not an in stock option and would have to be sourced and procured at added expense.

HI does do customer designs and designs to spec as a "special order".Khukuri without the cho or without handle rings may also be special ordered.
But...as stated, AFAIK , special orders are not being taken at this time to let the shop catch up on pending orders. At the present time the wait could be from 3-6 months.

HI is is the business of selling finished product. It does not sell bare blades.

Also as mentioned, if you are serious, your best bet would be to email Auntie Yangdu at himimp@aol.com to discuss specifics with her.

HI can Likely make Khukuri like the ones in the top picture, but it probably would have to be in wood or horn as Micarta is not an in stock option and would have to be sourced and procured at added expense.

HI does do customer designs and designs to spec as a "special order".Khukuri without the cho or without handle rings may also be special ordered.
But...as stated, AFAIK , special orders are not being taken at this time to let the shop catch up on pending orders. At the present time the wait could be from 3-6 months.

HI is is the business of selling finished product. It does not sell bare blades.

Also as mentioned, if you are serious, your best bet would be to email Auntie Yangdu at himimp@aol.com to discuss specifics with her.

Nutnfancy wouldn't happen to be the source of the sudden influx of orders, would he?

He has helped, but no these orders were pending before his video review.

stab:

The M43 handle shape isn't far off from the ones in your picture:

View attachment 459437

If that doesn't do it for you, here's an idea:

Buy a regular M43 (whatever size you like, typically 15" or 18" OAL), remove the scales and add your own. To remove the scales you'd have to drill out the rivets and boil the handle (in plastic) to melt the laha epoxy.

If you prefer an AK type blade you could order a CAK, remove the scales and file off a bit of metal at the top and bottom of the tang where the ring is. Then add your own scales

Either way, it would be a lot faster and probably cheaper than any kind of custom order.

I believe that HI used to sell blade blanks a long time ago, but they don't do that now. You could email Yangdu and ask if she would sell you a finished blade without the scales, but you might have to pay full price, and it's not that hard to remove scales yourself.

Someone posted an example earlier today. I believe his new handle is micarta. Here's the link:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1203075-My-C-A-K

Occasionally a "less-traditional-looking" knife shows up as a Deal of the Day.
Here's an HI Bahadur knife from 2012 (which just might belong to davidf99):

BAHADUR KNIFE BY VIM KAMI

Overall lenght --18 1/4''
Weight --28 oz
Spine thickness --3/8''
Chiurwa style satisal wood handle with lanyard ferrule
Navy blue color leather sheath
Top quality fit and finish Vim

attachment.php

I'm game for a HI Khuk with the above profiles. Especially the 3 and 5 chirra ones. Only reason I didn't buy the non-hi ones is cause I'm waiting for HI to make them and I'm very very patient :)

Occasionally a "less-traditional-looking" knife shows up as a Deal of the Day.
Here's an HI Bahadur knife from 2012 (which just might belong to davidf99):

BAHADUR KNIFE BY VIM KAMI

Overall lenght --18 1/4''
Weight --28 oz
Spine thickness --3/8''
Chiurwa style satisal wood handle with lanyard ferrule
Navy blue color leather sheath
Top quality fit and finish Vim

attachment.php

Yep, that's mine. A fine looking knife, except that the backward-angled point near the handle seems like an accident waiting to happen. I've been tempted to file it down just a bit, so that it's blunt rather than pointy.

Here's another HI knife with a non-standard handle. One of my favorites, and extremely comfortable:

View attachment 459450

It's called a Chatur-Vala Knife, 15.5" OAL and 20 oz. Done by Rajkumar. If you (stabnshoot) like it, you could send Yangdu an email with this photo. There might be a long wait, especially since Rajkumar is not working for HI currently.

stab:

The M43 handle shape isn't far off from the ones in your picture:

View attachment 459437

If that doesn't do it for you, here's an idea:

Buy a regular M43 (whatever size you like, typically 15" or 18" OAL), remove the scales and add your own. To remove the scales you'd have to drill out the rivets and boil the handle (in plastic) to melt the laha epoxy.

If you prefer an AK type blade you could order a CAK, remove the scales and file off a bit of metal at the top and bottom of the tang where the ring is. Then add your own scales

Either way, it would be a lot faster and probably cheaper than any kind of custom order.

I believe that HI used to sell blade blanks a long time ago, but they don't do that now. You could email Yangdu and ask if she would sell you a finished blade without the scales, but you might have to pay full price, and it's not that hard to remove scales yourself.

Someone posted an example earlier today. I believe his new handle is micarta. Here's the link:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1203075-My-C-A-K

The main quarrel I have with the traditional khukri handle design is the lack of a guard/quillon or finger groove, I have fears that if I was to stab something with this khukri, and the blade became stuck in bone, etc, my grip would give way and send my hand gliding down the edge.

I don't have any plans on attacking or killing anything, but it's nice to know such could be accomplished without self harm if the defensive need arose.

It's my thought that the tang should be an integral part of the guard in the handle design I illustrated in my first post. (Basically, the handle should have a layer of metal all the way through) If I was to purchase a standard khukri and modify it, I'd have to simply shape micarta around into a guard. I don't know if that would be strong enough even though micarta is pretty tough, but I'd prefer a "sandwich" all the way around.

Last edited:
stabnshoot:

You might like a khukuri with a handle like this one that I posted in another thread earlier today:

View attachment 459455

It's a Padam-Suga Knife in antler. Not a common handle type for HI, but it illustrates what the kamis can do. I'm sure they can make a handle like that in wood, horn or bone as well as antler. It would be a special order to get a handle like that on a khukuri, but if you're patient Yangdu can probably make it happen for you eventually.

Just tweak the handle of one yourself! Not too hard!
kukri1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kukri2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kukri3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kukri5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kukri6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kukri7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
kukri8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

KUKRI.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Modifying an existing handle is probably the fastest and easiest way to go right now. The Kami's don't like using safety equipment and you need to wear a Respirator or a Particle mask when working with Micarta. Even if you didn't mind waiting for the Kami's to catch up on orders, you'd still need to take the wood/horn handle off and fit Micarta.

I personally like custom orders. People just need to understand how it works and do that. Good luck! Hope to see some cool handle designs. :)

Ronin's Grips has a couple of modified HI's that I think might be right up your alley

1404387923088-170961437.jpeg

14043889876491213497970.jpeg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hacks handles up. Gave my old lady's KLVUK a trim.
IMAG1387_zpsh8v3szez.jpg

Sanded
IMAG1391_zpsfhf73rxq.jpg

Decorated
IMAG1395_zpsosyfverc.jpg

Back