Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

This is about the sweetest little Klein knife!

Originally, this was supposed to be bone that I jigged and dyed with vinegaroon. Unfortunately it split during peening.

This bone was pre jigged and dyed red and has been sitting in my cabinet for a while. Thought it would be fun to try to mimic a "crimson bone" case knife that i absolutely love. I soaked the pieces in chianti for a couple days and then vinegaroon overnight and it gave the nice black coating. After sanding and polishing it came out well with the black staying in the center and the red coming through on the edges. I think it looks pretty cool.

Still need to work on fit and finish but it's a win in my book.
20231018_180807~2.jpg
20231018_180753~2.jpg

I butterflied this one instead of completely taking it apart. That's where mistake #1 was made. Look at this gap. It was already in the knife before I started. It was corrected before epoxy, or so I thought. Next time I'll take the whole knife apart. I could have sworn it was completely flattened out. You can still see the pivot on one side too because there was nothing I could do with it. Filing and sanding didn't help.
20231018_181558~2.jpg

These Klein knives present a small list of issues that need to be corrected after disassembly, just because of their basic construction. It's been challenging to straighten the liners out on the various projects and keep everything working smoothly. The springs are rounded on one side from being stamped out I guess. Just lots of little things to consider.

On to the next one! Have a good day everyone.

Subtle modifications on my two blade lambsfoot...

Put swedges on the blades, a nail notch on the cover for better nail nick access (otherwise a nailbreaker pen blade), and rounded the sharp corners for less aggressive edges in hand.

CBeaMvx.jpg
WOW!

Opinel #8 in Padauk wood handle. Now mine is a touch modified by me, I ground down the roly-poly sides down flat so now the knife doesn't twist in your hand while using it, also sloped down the back rise to make it a little more comfortable and ground down the end peak a little also to make it more comfortable while in pocket. I used wax wood polish paste to seal up the ground flat sides so it is still a handsome knife and still grips well, it just doesn't roll during use, mucho bettero ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited:
image0 (1).jpeg

I cut in an easy open on this 85 a while back. I'm interested in getting into doing covers, ultimately would like to change this one to jigged bone but not crazy enough to just go for it. If anyone has any experience doing recovers and has advice let me know!

View attachment 2400424

I cut in an easy open on this 85 a while back. I'm interested in getting into doing covers, ultimately would like to change this one to jigged bone but not crazy enough to just go for it. If anyone has any experience doing recovers and has advice let me know!
Here's a thread where I do a WIP for re-covering/modding a pocketknife, updated posts starting on page 5 includes all pics

WIP barlow recover

View attachment 2400424

could always buy the one in bone and just jig that. probably save a lot of time, money and effort

Back