Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Regrinds. Filework. Reblades. Rehandles. Let's see 'em.

Three Bose pattern regular production Case knives. All three reground, the CV blades on the swayback jack and back pocket are acid etched and blued.

"Every Day Kerry" Back Pocket and Swayback Jack
&
Sowbelly "à la Menefee".

hampton-menefee-reground-case-bose.jpg

img372.jpg

hampton-regrind.jpg

menefee-regrind.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those guys did a great job on your knives. I never thought to send a production knife to a custom maker to have work done. I've got a Buck 703 that could use a reprofiling, I guess now I just have to figure out who to send it to.

Well, it wasn't me, except for some blade finishing with sandpaper and scotch brite..:D
The sheepsfoot blade on the 303 was done by a local knifemaker, i think with a special grinder made by him for small blades, and everything else by an old guy who sharpens stuff for a living.
Couldn't tell you about the machinery, as i don't know for sure, but he did run them through i think four different grinders and buffing wheels, while dipping the blades from time to time in some liquid to keep them cool. His job wasn't the greatest compared to the knifemaker's, as i've redone the finish, also the tang area is not the best..especially on the hollow grinds of the bucks, but the knives sure cut now, and are easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Most of my mods have been rehandles. The #73 had a lanyard hole added too.
IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

This #89 had the sharp portions on the spines of the blades sanded down to make it more comfortable to handle.
IMG_1987.jpg

Regrinds. Filework. Reblades. Rehandles. Let's see 'em.

Three Bose pattern regular production Case knives. All three reground, the CV blades on the swayback jack and back pocket are acid etched and blued.

"Every Day Kerry" Back Pocket and Swayback Jack
&
Sowbelly "à la Menefee".

hampton-menefee-reground-case-bose.jpg

img372.jpg

hampton-regrind.jpg

menefee-regrind.jpg

Really nice work, I really like the acid etch.

Nice work, sit flyer! Looks like a million Bucks!

Jeff, I like that blade combo… it worked out nicely with nail nick too.

Trand and Doug, Those rehandles are really nice. …by the way… a while back, the photo of that blue GEC 73 had me scouring the dealer sites before I realized it was a rehandle! :p

confucius37, The grinds look much improved.

MattWRog, I didn't do the work on the knives and I'm not sure about the details. I am sure that they weren't disassembled. The blades were blued as well as acid etched and most of the color is from the bluing. The photo of the Back Pocket was taken after it had been used so the color is a little worn. The photo of the Swayback jack was taken before use.

P1000606.jpg

P1000618.jpg

P1000589.jpg

mainly just blade changes but the mora's and opinel were a little more work :D

Nice mods gentlemen. I wish I was skilled enough to try some.
Jacktrades, I really like the grind on your Buck..maybe someday I'll do the same thing to my 303.
Trand, I know I've told you before, but the blue denim micarta looks awesome!

Fausto
:cool:

Buck 309 changed to Axis deer stag
305elk.jpg

I laugh when I handle this one, Imperial (Ireland) stockman, 10 dollar knife with a 50 dollar scale. Actually, I call it my glue test knife.
Imperiala.jpg

303 with real ivory. Don't fret it was a recycled 'old' 45 auto grip panel.
303ivory1-1.jpg

303 with stablized burlwood scale. I am hiding the tiny sanding nic I put on one spring.
FinishBurl.jpg

Lastly a fake modification. I made a jigged bone Buck using photo trickery, pushing a Buck factory icon to make a jigged bone scale stockman. Alas, it has not worked to date......if it had been real I would have EDC'd it.
FakeBuck.jpg

Last edited:
Corso, I've been thinking of trying the two-blade Opinel mod. I saw some neat ones on a French forum... the handles were actually redone but I was thinking of just using a router to widen the well for the blades. Is that what you did?

Nice ones, 300! I agree with Jeff about the ivory!

Back