Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Wow guys, amazing work! :eek:

RgJyifW.jpg

Here's little comparison pic before / after. Made this for sale and my friend wanted it.

I think I might shorten my frontier hawk like some of you have. I did so to the above hawk and I liked it. Would fit inside my packback without the shaft peeking out.

waVlYdE.jpg

I just got into modding t-hawks recently and this is my first one! I love all the different materials you can work with--leather, wood, metal, beads and feathers. I got a lot of ideas from this forum and youtube and I combined them into this creation. It's obviously Native American inspired, though not really anything specific. I just wanted something that looked cool that I could display above my fireplace.

Last edited:
kbljDSP.jpg

Here's another one I did, it's the CRKT Woods Chogan. I cut off the hammer poll with a hacksaw so it looks more like a traditional t-hawk. Sanded the handle so it friction fits flush without the rough jagged shelf. Pyro engraved some Native American symbols onto one side then stained and polyurethaned it. Put a leather collar on it and a suede and leather lace handle. Took a section of raccoon forearm fur and used it as an accent under the collar, and put a fox squirrel pelt in the background. I blued some designs onto the blade using Birchwood Casey and masking tape, and of course sharpened the edge. Tied some turkey feathers on with suede lace along with a couple bead tassels with mallard feathers.

Last edited:
I've already modified a trail hawk, and I decided to try out the frontier hawk this time. Nothing particularly fancy, it's going to be a user, just the standard strip, sharpen and refit handle, added some file notches and finished with some cold blue.

DSC01545_zpsciv8vym4.jpg

I love my frontier hawk, and I must say that even if "nothing fancy" I just love these kind of clean and simple mod jobs. Very nice! :thumbup:

First post! Thanks for all the inspiration guys. Here's my first modified trail hawk. It was a such a fun project, that I've already ordered a second to customize for my wife. I'm picturing something pink with hearts. ;) Anyway, after the basics I re-profiled the head added filework, filled the screw hole, wrapped the helve, and made a leather mask.
Submitted for your approval:

I love this one. Nice work. Wish I had one like this.

Good to see everyone is still modding CS hawks. I pulled out one of the last hawk projects from five years ago. Prior to my retirement, I was modifying hawks and Becker knives. Since then, I have bought a Wilmont 2x72 grinder and have been making knives of my own design. My plan is to complete this hawk. For those of you who do not remember this one, it started out as a CS Pipe hawk. All work was done with files, wet/dry sandpaper and WD-40. The rising star logo (modified screw hole) I believe is something I started five or six years ago. I'm glad to see some of you are using that idea and modding it to your own taste.

Last edited:
Wow what an awesome thread! You guys have some serious skill. Here is my first try; a Norse hawk. Looking forward to getting a few trail hawks to have fun with.
O06AMu8.jpg
[/IMG]

Good to see everyone is still modding CS hawks. I pulled out one of the last hawk projects from five years ago. Prior to my retirement, I was modifying hawks and Becker knives. Since then, I have bought a Wilmont 2x72 grinder and have been making knives of my own design. My plan is to complete this hawk. For those of you who do not remember this one, it started out as a CS Pipe hawk. All work was done with files, wet/dry sandpaper and WD-40. The rising star logo (modified screw hole) I believe is something I started five or six years ago. I'm glad to see some of you are using that idea and modding it to your own taste.

That is outstanding work.

Well its not a trail hawk but this seems like the best place to put this..
Here is my cold steel rifleman's hawk. I actually really like this thing...so much so that I will probably buy all the other cold steel tomahawks and pretty them up in a similar way :)
IMG_2703_zpshsqkji4r.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsh8iciisl.jpg

The steel seems very good..it surprised me actually. I used it for a couple hours yesterday. I even threw it a few times which is why in the pic of ax in log you can see the heads slid down the shaft a little bit. Had set screw removed. That happened from throwing it..(have since fixed the scuff on handle below head). Very easy to get it shaving sharp as well and didn't roll or chip from my use yesterday.

IMG_2702_zpszyywboqr.jpg

Another thing I will say is that the head is/was not loose whatsoever. No way could you slide this on and off like you see on youtube videos. I tried to remove the handle in order to stain it easier but I would have gouged the handle the whole way down when removing it.. was a very tight fit so I gave up removing it after I had hammered the head half way down the shaft.. damaging it as it went. Don't get me wrong I could have got it off but it would have damaged the handle the whole way down. Was not in the mood to thin the whole handle down to make a "slip fit"

For anyone interested, I sanded the handle, stained it, burnt it, then applied a couple coats of BLO to get the colour. I stripped the paint using paint stripper, and added the patina / aged look to the steel by applying the salty brine from a jar of olives to the steel :)

Last edited:
Back