Mora Eldris

I was JUST waiting for the chopping and battoning bits at the end... I KNEW they were going to be there.:D:D

Agreed, there are lots of tasks that can be acomplished with a small blade. If that small blade goes with a hand filling handle, then soooo much better.

I, however, preffer to carry a folder, because I can pack more blade for the same bulk and for the tasks I would be doing, I don't need the extra strenght that a fixed blades gives you, or the ease of cleaning.

Mikel

I carried mine for about 3 months strait as a city EDC. It works for much everything that an urban home owner needs to do.

But, that's likely not your point. Here's a nice review that illustrates what you can and cannot do with it from a woodsman's point of view.

I mean in a pinch, you totally could use that to start a crack in wood to then apply wedges for the actual splitting work....As for chopping well...Yeah no I've got nothing

Very cool idea! This is my attempt:

mTsAdrF.jpg

ePsOj7y.jpg

Not so sure about the color though. I think I'll make a better version in green.

Very cool idea! This is my attempt:
Not so sure about the color though. I think I'll make a better version in green.

Looks pretty good to me. Cord wrapping always evolves over time anyway so, I'd say enjoy it for a while before you 'improve' it! ;)

How is this little knife working out for everyone? Any regrets for not buying a larger version?

Also, anyone use it as a neck knife? Is it too big to be practical?

TIA,
Sid

How is this little knife working out for everyone? Any regrets for not buying a larger version?

TIA,
Sid

I don't like neck knives, so I don't carry it that way. It's a handy little knife, but the handiness comes from it's size. For most cutting tasks, the normal sized versions are better for me. YMMV.

I bought one and attached it to the outside of my fishing tackle bag, mainly to cut fishing line and bait when I don't need a longer blade.
The stainless steel blade is a plus around the saltwater environment.

Thanks for the informative review. It looks like it would make a great little bushcraft carver.

I... having a smaller Mora that stays in the sheath is another plus. I have some of the 2/0 classics and they just don't like to stay put - it would be foolish to let them roll around in a backback whereas this one would be fine...

...I actually made Kydex pants for a pair of 2/0's and gave them to the kids, but have been looking for a good value stainless replacement...
Brisa sells some very nice sheaths for the 2/0 Classic, which solves the age old question of how to carry a 2/0
The 85 fits the 2/0
I have the 11538 - Sheath Reindeer 85 Tan sheath, which makes for a classy and very secure sheath, and hangs nicely as a necker
https://brisa.fi/sheaths/lappi-sheaths/sheath-reindeer-85-tan.html

And with that set up, and decent handle and very sharp zero grind edge, I have no need to look at a smaller knife like the Eldris

Brisa sells some very nice sheaths for the 2/0 Classic, which solves the age old question of how to carry a 2/0
The 85 fits the 2/0
I have the 11538 - Sheath Reindeer 85 Tan sheath, which makes for a classy and very secure sheath, and hangs nicely as a necker
https://brisa.fi/sheaths/lappi-sheaths/sheath-reindeer-85-tan.html

And with that set up, and decent handle and very sharp zero grind edge, I have no need to look at a smaller knife like the Eldris

I agree. I actually replaced the kid's knives with a pair of vintage Schrade Sharpfingers (made leather/kydex sheathes for them as well). My issue with the Mora classics relates to the carbon steel, not the carry options so much - my leather lined kydex sheathes hold the knife pretty well. Most of the time I don't have a problem but I know the kids aren't as good about taking care of carbon steel, hence the turn toward stainless.

TIA,
Sid
I've actually found it to be too bulky for its size. I intend to cut the handle off and make a thinner one for it along with a new sheath - just as soon as I get a bunch of time.

TIA,
Sid

My opinion may be biased by not being a regular neck knife user, but I'd say it's awful big to carry that way. However I still think it's a very practical knife. You can it in your pack or it works well for me for urban carry as a pocket knife as I noted in post 20.

Back