Morakniv...

My Eldris just landed. To me, it's an impressive little knife. I went into it with reasonable expectations...

Believe it or not, the Minimalist has as good a grip as the Eldris, though not for long and hard use. But for pure grip security, it might even be better. AND it is full tang. The kydex sheath is super nice. I think it needs a thinner gauge of paracord, like what the fob is made from, and a decent blade steel. (it's 5Cr :poop:)...

The Hunter's scalpel has a lot less grip (2 finger) but it is very light, has a better blade steel (AUS 10) and the super-nice Blackie Collins push-button sheath. It's just for a slice here and there, but it goes unnoticed in a way the other two cannot. (esp. under a shirt)

I've had good experiences with 12C27 on a variety of knives, from Mora to Bestech. It's much better than the Minimalist's 5Cr15. Heck, I like it better than 8Cr13Mov or Chinese D2. It's an excellent deal in the Mora knives. For instance, the prices of the Eldris and the Minimalist are within a dollar of each other over on BladeHQ.

The only thing I don't love about the Mora knives are the sheaths. They work so don't get me wrong. They just cover too much of the handle. I like to get more of a full grip on the draw.

I just got one of the new Artisan Sea Snakes in their new PM budget steel. I had planned on using it as a belt life but now that I have it in hand, this could be a nice neck knife.

No worries, I already have a blue one! :)
You are redeemed then.

Maybe I am the one who is missing some steel.

I look forward to which of those two you like best. I may get one. The favorite so far is the Kansbol, by a country mile. I'm not 100% convinced it is better than the trusty ol' Companion.

Do let us know!

Can do. I am a Mora fanboy, I won’t lie.

As I own several 2000 models I can only imagine how much I’m gonna love the Kansbol. I envision using it as a bait and fish cleaning knife, along a bit of hunting thrown in.

The Garberg just looks cool, and I had to opt for the leather sheath.

You can't go wrong with Moras, quality for the pricepoint nobody is touching them, Hultafors comes up second in value, but the finish on Moras is higher standard. I have lots of Mora knives and I like them all, Mora Robust, Pro C and Companion are probably my 3 favs.

I don't think you will find much negative opinion on mora knives, and if you do come across negative opinions on them I would be highly suspicious of the source of those opinions and might suspect they have "other" motives. What's not to like, great in hand, lovely scandi grind, flawless polished blades, and as cheap as a round of beers.

Reactions: vba
I had a Mora Companion in carbon steel and the SS versions. The handles are HUGE, to where they get in the way of most things you will cut or slice. I ended up bringing a cheap kitchen paring knife instead of them, and sold them. Not a fan, however I don't do the bushcraft stuff at all.

I heard this from Pete on the Cedric & Ada YouTube channel:

"Mora knives are the orthopedic shoes of the knife world."

They are ugly, but they are comfortable and they get the job done just as well or better than something more fancy.

Been using mora knives for decades. Carry a 2000 that I modified with a square spine and cord wrapped sheath in my backpack daily. I have them all over. In the kitchen, garage, bags, drawers etc. kids own a few each too. Great knives to teach children with.

Though prices seem to have gone up recently, they are a lot of bang for the buck. Not fancy steel, but quality. I'd like to see what they could do with a convex grind. I guess I should get out in the shop and see what I can do with one of my $7 Mora 511 models. Think of it - a 511 BCC (Beaver Chewed Convex). I'll practice on some of the BUDK "Wahoo Killer" sorta Mora clones that I got for $1.67 each. I knew they had a use. :D

There are 3 Eldris and 2 Kansbol here. I bought the first Eldris a purple one that my wife claimed for kitchen duty and she bought me a green one to replace it. I had a Kansbol for a while. When I decided to backup all my primary user knives I ordered an extra Eldris and Kansbol in orange . I also have a Mora 2000 in EDC bag and there is a lamenated knife here, for the record I also have 2 SAK Walkers and 2 #6 Opinels

A bit late to the conversation, but here are my two cents: I started on Mora with a 911 Quicksnap. One of my dogs chewed up the grippy handle, so I rehandled it on hickory. There's a post about it somewhere on BF. Then I picked up a 510. Much thinner blade but very handy and light and about as tough. Now, I just received a Robust Pro and I love it. Bombproof! All these are in carbon, BTW. I just prefer it to stainless whenever I can get it.

Pics at some point, of course.

Zieg

I recently picked up the Garberg.

This is my opinion on a knife that I’ve only owned and used for a couple weeks.

The leather sheath is nice and of quality leather. It’s not overly thick, and is not dried out. The flap is big and easy to manipulate with gloved hands. No drain hole.

The heft is an unusual trait when you consider Morakniv lineage.

There are two things that I wish Mora had done differently. This knife could have been so much more utilitarian and well rounded if:

1. A high saber grind, slightly convexed. This blade stock is thick, and a steep angle is needed to engage the cutting edge. It hogs material, almost to much. The thinner companion Scandinavian grind performs much better for thinner cuts.

2. A full sharpening to the handle, per tradition of other standard Mora knives. I don’t like the way they executed this scandi-grind. It terminates a quarter inch from the handle. Not a fan.

A new version that had these characteristics would be imho a ideal hip knife.

Speaking of sheaths, has anyone tried RK Custom Kydex's sheath for the Companion?

There's no denying that Mora makes probably the best knives for the money.
I did have experience with Mora knives in the past, they just weren't my knives.
But experience is positive, sharp thin blade and really comfortable handle.

But now we're coming to reasons why I never picked up one.
1. That same bulky handle and even larger sheath, you just can't conceal it and use it for EDC...
2. Scandi grind, it generally takes a while to sharpen and if it happens that you hit something hard with it, it'll roll/chip more easily and it'll take you a good while to grind that out.
4. Mora Garberg is still not cheap, and besides the price it lacks a proper hand guard.
5. I'm not into bushcraft.

Thing is, Mora is excellent knife, but it just doesn't do anything for my personal needs that some other knife won't cover better:
Mini Pendleton in 3V is my EDC
Recon Tanto in SK-5 is my beater/chopper... heck, I even used it as a cleaver since I don't have one...
CRKT Mossback B&T I recently got as a gift is my general back-up, mushroom picking or gardening knife, and it can double down as EDC if I ever need it.

There's no denying that Mora makes probably the best knives for the money.
I did have experience with Mora knives in the past, they just weren't my knives.
But experience is positive, sharp thin blade and really comfortable handle.

But now we're coming to reasons why I never picked up one.
1. That same bulky handle and even larger sheath, you just can't conceal it and use it for EDC...
2. Scandi grind, it generally takes a while to sharpen and if it happens that you hit something hard with it, it'll roll/chip more easily and it'll take you a good while to grind that out.
4. Mora Garberg is still not cheap, and besides the price it lacks a proper hand guard.
5. I'm not into bushcraft.

Thing is, Mora is excellent knife, but it just doesn't do anything for my personal needs that some other knife won't cover better:
Mini Pendleton in 3V is my EDC
Recon Tanto in SK-5 is my beater/chopper... heck, I even used it as a cleaver since I don't have one...
CRKT Mossback B&T I recently got as a gift is my general back-up, mushroom picking or gardening knife, and it can double down as EDC if I ever need it.

I don’t disagree with much. The beauty of a Mora is the value per dollar. CS was close.

A Morakniv companion is IMHO still the best and most comfortable and high performance knife you can purchase for 12 bucks. It is the underdog that is 100 percent a safe bet.

Opinel knows what time it is.

SAK batting cleanup.

... Opinel knows what time it is...

I had a high opinion of Opinel but I hadn't handled one in probably over a decade. So I recently ordered one with a Walnut handle. I was very unhappy with what I got. The handle had rough edges. The blade edge was mashed up right out of the box. The locking mechanism is a little different than I remember but it also didn't lock up all that well. I sent it back.

I had also forgotten that Opinel steel is super soft and not regular 12C27. It's a modified version of 12C27 with less carbon and more chromium. All this time I had been giving recommendations for Opinel a thumbs up... :oops:

For comparison, I got one of the kids a new Companion this past summer. The quality was excellent.

Blade HQ ran a special a few weeks ago. Buy a knife - get a free Mora 511.
My freebie 511 is a great knife! Ultra sharp & feels just great in my hands.
I slapped a couple of coats of Torque ceramic car finish on it just to see how that stuff does on a carbon steel blade.
So far - so good - but - so far I've only really used it as a letter opener.

I bought a Mora (the old school wood handle design) many years ago after reading about them. I was a little bit leery about the small, slick, tapered handle but loved the blade and the value.

I ended up buying a whole pile of Basics, Clippers, Companions, etc. to put in all my packs and bags as back-ups. The reality is, I've carried them everywhere but have rarely actually used any of them! But they're there if I need them...

I guess the fact that I've never needed my back-ups means my primary held up fine and was treated right, and I've been lucky. Nothing wrong with that.

Back