More 1084 weirdness

I quenched in canola oil that's almost a year old. Not saying it isn't the oil, as I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that real 1084 isn't affected much as long as one hits the ball park hardening temp.

I'm basically a lurker here. I read lots of posts but rarely post. With that said lot of folks have posted to this thread who I READ every word they post and try to digest. JT is one of them. I trust him. A long with a bunch of others who have posted to this thread. I totally understand that JT has a lot of irons in the fire and I accept the fact he doesn't have the time to constantly check this thread. I'll just patiently wait and see how this turns out. JT will make it right. And for the record I do my own HT and have never used JT but if I out sourced he'd the the FIRST I'd contact.

I quenched in canola oil that's almost a year old. Not saying it isn't the oil, as I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that real 1084 isn't affected much as long as one hits the ball park hardening temp.
Unless you used steel from the same source, your results are meaningless.

Hoss

Never a government worker, but someone who has done a lot of leading/facilitation of teams where there are differing perspectives (and there are ALWAYS differing perspectives) part of which is trying, not necessarily to get people to see anothers perspective, but at least to accept a consensus approach. Ive come to be pretty hard ass about it, as there are always those that just continue tobe contrary just ... because. I dont push my perspective ... rather strive for a consensus. They can walk, which is fine, but idont allow them to complain after they have walked. If there is no clear consensus, then I WALK. No reason to try to manage something where the rules cant be agreed to. Devin - i respect the shit out of you (hmm... does that come across respectfully?) ... but this basic dynamic (at least in my experience) does not change whether you are talkng about government organizations, corporate organizations, or .... internet forums. People are people, wherever they interact.

I guess my response over the years has become “put up or shut up”.

btw: if iever have achance to buy a beer to discuss this stuff, i am all in! :)
I don’t understand why you are referring to here. What consensus has been reached? What are we supposed to be putting up or shutting up about? I’m lost.

I've been on these forums for about a year and it seems to me that these threads tend to go down in flames.

I don’t understand why you are referring to here. What consensus has been reached? What are we supposed to be putting up or shutting up about? I’m lost.
OMG - sorry - I was confusing responses to different threads. Forget the one in this thread (I will try to edit it out). Apologies.....

You sound like a retired government worker.
Hoss
What I SHOULD have said in response to this is far more personal than what a "government worker" (I think) would have said. JT is staking his life/wealth/future on the business he is trying to build. This is then not a matter of a government employeee saying "this is the way we do things" (and someone else is picking up the tab)... rather, this is a matter of an individual staking his personal security on his ability to complete the "day-to-day" deliverables of his business. I would ask to everyone on this thread: if you were faced with that situation - would you place more priority on doing something that had absolutely no immediate revenue attached to it, or would you place your priority on what you could do to bring more money in right now????

Tempered martensite etches darkest. Other phases do not etch as dark. Some phases do not etch very well at all. The higher carbon areas should etch darker than lower carbon areas.
It might show banding or other problems with the matrix.
It might show that someone may have tried to mix beta-ti in with the steel. Okay, maybe not that last one.

Hoss

I think we are all ignoring the most likely cause/culprit for the steel hardening in banding patterns.....

The steel is from the batch that the Terminator and liquid terminator were melted down in.

1aHK3EA.jpg

Last edited:
Out of all the past threads I have started these are the only blades I have been able to hold onto and do some testing on. All the others where returned to the customers.

Out of all the past threads I have started these are the only blades I have been able to hold onto and do some testing on. All the others where returned to the customers.
One month before Christmas is the second busiest time for any heat treater. First being before the blade show.

For the long term success of your heat treating business, there needs to be some resolution to these types if problems. Who knew that the problem alloy would be plain old 1084?

Hoss

any updates?

Ok I was able to get the blade etched tonight before heading inside. It is quite revealing and much weirder then what was shown with the 3000grit surface grind.

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2011%2010%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2011%2029%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2012%2041%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2012%2057%20PM.jpg

what’s really interesting is the spots on the back side that match the blotches on the other side. Also it looks like stringers or lines that you would get from etching with a scratch on the surface but there are no scratches on that 3000grit finish.

Ok I was able to get the blade etched tonight before heading inside. It is quite revealing and much weirder then what was shown with the 3000grit surface grind.

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2011%2010%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2011%2029%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2012%2041%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Nov%2024%2C%2010%2012%2057%20PM.jpg

what’s really interesting is the spots on the back side that match the blotches on the other side. Also it looks like stringers or lines that you would get from etching with a scratch on the surface but there are no scratches on that 3000grit finish.

Man, bingo. How wild.

Now that we have an etch and a picture, I'd like to see Devin HT it and see if we get the same issues in the same spots.

Back