Most Over-Rated and Under-Rated Brands of Production Knives

Overrated: Benchmade. Too many times have I gotten a Benchmade that has atrocious blade play that always comes back, no matter how much loctite you put on it. And the blade centering is horrible too.

Underated: Anything with AUS-8 steel. It's a good steel when heat-treated properly.

The variety of opinion here is hilarious.
Many of these critics probably haven't even handled the knives they claim are overrated.
I used to think custom/mid-tech folders were ridiculously priced..until i learned what quality was and actually purchased one.
Also, some people get one bad example from a company and immediately bash that product.
My opinion:
Overrated = Hinderer's business model. Emerson pricing. And most Cold Steel products.
Underrated = Mcusta

Last edited:
Over rated Microtech. I say this from personal experience!
Nice designs, bad execution and the worst customer service ever....bar none.

Under rated Mcusta.
Great builds on nice designs and priced more than fairly!
My 2!
Joe

94c98f5ec675e323766b4bd98224677e.jpg

Overrated - and I totally expect to get some heat for this - Spyderco.
Now, that is not at all to say I hate the brand, I actually don't even own a spydie yet, so I have no ground to say this. In my experience handling them, I've never found a spydie hole that I liked. I can't flip it open for the life of me, I'm sure that with practice I can - but it's just difficult to open and close. That might just be me. Another thing I'm iffy on is the price. Again, some knives like the tenacious are apparently amazing deals - which I'm not doubting, but somehow I can't justify $150+ for a manix 2. I get that you have premium blade steel and all that, but again - not a fan of the spydie hole. Also, IMO, Emersons (to me) look uniform, ugly, and chunky, as some other people have mentioned. Underrated - traditionals! I've seen many modern only guys totally ignore traditionals, because they can't be used to pry nails out of a 2x4. In my experience, thin 1095 blades slice better than any modern folder I've EVER had or handled - truth! I encourage everyone who hasn't already to try a nice Great Eastern Cutlery knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ducking and typing at the same time. Randall is THE most overrated knife on today's market. Their place in history is noted and appreciated. Their limited availability marketing philosophy is time-proven and the model should be taught in college level econ. classes. Jerry Busse took the class and obviously did very well. Note I'm not comparing the knives just the marketing philosophy and aftermarket activity it inspires. The knives... check the materials (01 and 440b if not mistaken) and then check your wallet.
They also use 440C sometimes.

Over rated? SOG, although most in the know are already weary of their folders. Ever time I see Gunny I think of that scene from Full Metal Jacket..."DO YOU SUCK D**** SOLDIER?!?! BULLSH*T, I BET YOU COULD SUCK A GOLF BALL THOUGH A GARDEN HOSE!!!" Cheesy, all bark no bite...that's SOG in my mind. Their fixed .

Now I have to watch part of it to see if the DI actually used the word "soldier."

I think Ontario knives are underated. The Rat Model 1 (exception, not USA made) is terrific for 99% of my EDC or "Survival" needs and their 5160 steel knives have never let me down. I think you get alot of USA made knife for your money. I have seen of a handful of their knives fail on the internet but every company has failures, no exceptions. Just test your stuff before you take it out into the field and remember that 2 is 1 and 1 is none and you'll be fine.
Unklfranco

Yes for Ontario, especially the rubber handled SP- series: Incredible value for the price. Instead all you hear about are Beckers and BK-9s and Esee, but they are all thin 3/16" full profile tangs that transmit really bad vibrations straight to your hand, while the SP series are 1/4" stock stick tangs fully isolated by rubber that you can carve and shape to your own individual hand... I wonder just how much actual comparative use people do to make such strange choices... Not to mention BK grind/blade straightness is inferior in all respects to Ontario, and I have yet to see a 1/4" SP series broken...

Gaston

Since 3 people have bothered to post I'll post.

Over: Strider, CRK(T), Hinder, Kershaw, ZT, Emerson, Spyderco, Benchmade, SOG, HOGUE

In Between: Cold Steel, WE, MCUSTA, Microtech

Under: CKF, OKC, Maxace, Viper, Asheville, Rike,

Yes for Ontario, especially the rubber handled SP- series: Incredible value for the price. Instead all you hear about are Beckers and BK-9s and Esee, but they are all thin 3/16" full profile tangs that transmit really bad vibrations straight to your hand, while the SP series are 1/4" stock stick tangs fully isolated by rubber that you can carve and shape to your own individual hand... I wonder just how much actual comparative use people do to make such strange choices... Not to mention BK grind/blade straightness is inferior in all respects to Ontario, and I have yet to see a 1/4" SP series broken...

Gaston
I would rate Ontario knives like that as underHARDENED, not underrated. And that is by their own admission/published specs. ;)

Underrated = Cutlery Corner knife show for entertainment purposes

Overrated = Anything priced out of my purchasing range

"Folks, we got them thar zombie green handled tanto folders (which by the way make the best skinning knives!) for 2/10 of a penny each and were giving them away for about a dollar each!" The Fire or Police Dept knives are the ones that kill me, these morons must really hate first responders. They always suggest that they would make great duty knives. Only a moron would give someone in harms way one of these turds as a serious gift. I do laugh a lot watching it though. The way that guy handles knives proves just how dull they are. Otherwise he wouldn't have fingers.

As far as what I consider over or under rated I'll base it on what I've actually owned or handled.

Under-rated- Cold Steel and Spyderco.

Cold Steel switched to better steel and they've been getting my money quite often since I tried out one of their CTS-XHP folders. The edge retention on the new steel is superb and my older AUS8A version beat all others I have or had in AUS8 for edge retention. They also started adding some color to their knives and have made some that are more focused on EDC than Tacticool.

Spyderco because they come up with so many out of the box designs and aren't afraid to try new steels. They just don't get enough credit for taking chances. A Manix 2 LW is my constant companion at home. It's so light and flat that I've went to bed frequently forgetting it was in the pocket of my shorts or sweats.

Over-rated- SOG, Ontario, Hogue, and Spyderco.

SOG for poor edge retention (I have a CS Recon 1 in AUS8A that puts SOGs AUS8 to shame), and poor fit for wobbly blades at the pivot.

Ontario for poor edge retention, I just wasn't happy with the edge rolling over in some spots and then the blade chipped in another.

Hogue for materials to cost ratio. 154 steel and G10 isn't worth what they charge, I can get so much more for the price from Spyderco or even Buck if I need made in the USA. They didn't feel any more ergonomic to me than most others, and when you have so many manufacturers making products with better steel and using the same G10 you better have something better.

Spyderco for going too crazy on designs and MAP. The Opus is the perfect example of a knife that looks like it was designed to cut the user. Some designs are just off to me. MAP pricing, the reason given by any that do it is bull crap and they all know it. It feels like being lied to and I hate that. Just say that large stores that buy the bulk of your products for resale don't like little guys selling at a lower price. And since they can offer free-bees that the little guys can't they start getting that money that used to go to the small shops.

Yes I know that I put Spyderco as both. Just like most people I know, they have things I like about them and things I don't. It's just one of those funny things mature people can do. I haven't handled or owned a Benchmade or Kershaw/ZT. BM mostly because of materials to price ratio, K/ZT because I have zero trust for liner or frame locks. I can't say one way or the other for both.

And cue the hate in 5...4...3...2...

Q
"Folks, we got them thar zombie green handled tanto folders (which by the way make the best skinning knives!) for 2/10 of a penny each and were giving them away for about a dollar each!" The Fire or Police Dept knives are the ones that kill me, these morons must really hate first responders. They always suggest that they would make great duty knives. Only a moron would give someone in harms way one of these turds as a serious gift. I do laugh a lot watching it though. The way that guy handles knives proves just how dull they are. Otherwise he wouldn't have fingers.

As far as what I consider over or under rated I'll base it on what I've actually owned or handled.

Under-rated- Cold Steel and Spyderco.

Cold Steel switched to better steel and they've been getting my money quite often since I tried out one of their CTS-XHP folders. The edge retention on the new steel is superb and my older AUS8A version beat all others I have or had in AUS8 for edge retention. They also started adding some color to their knives and have made some that are more focused on EDC than Tacticool.

Spyderco because they come up with so many out of the box designs and aren't afraid to try new steels. They just don't get enough credit for taking chances. A Manix 2 LW is my constant companion at home. It's so light and flat that I've went to bed frequently forgetting it was in the pocket of my shorts or sweats.

Over-rated- SOG, Ontario, Hogue, and Spyderco.

SOG for poor edge retention (I have a CS Recon 1 in AUS8A that puts SOGs AUS8 to shame), and poor fit for wobbly blades at the pivot.

Ontario for poor edge retention, I just wasn't happy with the edge rolling over in some spots and then the blade chipped in another.

Hogue for materials to cost ratio. 154 steel and G10 isn't worth what they charge, I can get so much more for the price from Spyderco or even Buck if I need made in the USA. They didn't feel any more ergonomic to me than most others, and when you have so many manufacturers making products with better steel and using the same G10 you better have something better.

Spyderco for going too crazy on designs and MAP. The Opus is the perfect example of a knife that looks like it was designed to cut the user. Some designs are just off to me. MAP pricing, the reason given by any that do it is bull crap and they all know it. It feels like being lied to and I hate that. Just say that large stores that buy the bulk of your products for resale don't like little guys selling at a lower price. And since they can offer free-bees that the little guys can't they start getting that money that used to go to the small shops.

Yes I know that I put Spyderco as both. Just like most people I know, they have things I like about them and things I don't. It's just one of those funny things mature people can do. I haven't handled or owned a Benchmade or Kershaw/ZT. BM mostly because of materials to price ratio, K/ZT because I have zero trust for liner or frame locks. I can't say one way or the other for both.

And cue the hate in 5...4...3...2...
Cue the hate? Nah man, you explained yourself well. Nice read

I've owned emersons and i'm pretty sure i just said that they're over-rated (at least in my opinion and apparently a few others).

They're fugly designs with so-so blade steel, thin liner locks, chisel grinds and a hefty price tag.

I know they have a pretty big fan base but i'm really not sure why.
It's like with Volvo owners , kind of a cult thing of pride in shared pain and sacrifice ...o_O

Under : Bad Blood Knives - the ones based on custom designs . I luv 'em , because after a few years I can get them for ~$20 . So I'm real happy nobody else knows or cares for them much . Their folders are built like tanks , but nothing any of you would want .:eek::poop:

Over: All the really good stuff I can't afford . Sour grapes ! :(

Overrated:
Where do I begin?

Anything tactical
Emerson
Dpx
Benchmade
ZT
Anything super heavy duty
Folders over 3.5" blade length.
Frame locks
I'm going to really piss some people off, but CRK
Ball bearing pivots
S30V
Made in USA
Partial serrations
Tantos
Front flipper

Underrated:

Our hobby as a whole is underrated and underappreciated. Once, 50% of the guys you'd meet had some sort of blade on them. There wasn't today's phenomena of the latest greatest, hey what are carrying, but more a combination of necessity, convenience, and habit.

Spyderco
Foreign made knives
Slipjoints
SAK
Custom knives
Small scale production knives

****I have owned at least one of these overrated knife brands/types, with the exception of Emerson. However, I carried a friend's cqc 7 for a week and hated it.

This thread...

Overrated: Anything over priced for the quality and materials used. Such as the customs put out by MSC, EKI, RHK (CRK puts out that quality and materials in regular production models) Again though it doesn't mean I don't own or would still buy them.

Underrated: Mcusta seems to have all the boxes checked but I still haven't tried one yet. Also I think customs have been underrated. Mostly those from smaller guys. I've started leaning towards moving from the higher production companies to smaller custom makers to support them and because a lot of the time you can simply get exactly what you want. Might pay a little more but then again, it is a custom one of a kind (most of the time)

Back