Off Topic most ridiculous guns you've ever seen

i have been looking at guns for a while now and just recently got one. i have seen some funny stuff along the way. my pick is either the magnum research bfr 45-70 (its a frickin hand cannon) or the chiappa triple threat

I thought the same thing about the 45-70 BFR revolver for years. My thought was "who would want some thing like this?" What makes it look odd is the length of the cylinder. But it is a well made revolver.

I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger which I scoped and used for deer hunting. I can't say that I ever enjoyed shooting it. I saw a slightly used BFR in 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger and bought it. It is a fine handgun!! It is much more pleasant to shoot than the SRH. I still mostly use if in 480 Ruger, but I can load it with 475's if I want to. Powerful enough to kill just about anything on the planet with the right bullets.

Any of the .410 revolvers. I know they have a cult following and a niche market. What bothers me about them is the big box gun store salesman pushing them as the perfect gun on unknowing greenhorn newbies.

Most would be far better served with a .357
I agree. I don't know about a cult or maybe I have just missed that. But I was really interested when they first came out thinking they would be a good small game gun. They are simply poor shooting in 410 ga and only marginally okay in 45LC.

Hmm, how about a 17th century 10-barrel matchlock repeating rifle inspired by a Leonardo Da Vinci conceptual design for a repeating cannon...This one is in the Doge's Palace in Venice, Italy

XRE6PMr.jpg

wqDNU5J.jpg

Or are we only addressing modern arms?

Last edited:
I shot a 10 gage bolt action "goose gun" that my uncle had. Sears and Robuck special. I think he only paid 80$ for them (he had a few NIB).

Very unpleasant. Three shot magazine, light barrel. Light overall gun. Kicked harder than a 45-70 shooting the hottest buffalo bore ammo!!

I have a weird AMT Automag III pistol that shoots .30 Carbine ammo.

It is a fun gun. Lots of noise and blast. But accurate, and fun to shoot!!

Last edited:
I fell for the Judge. Bought it for the novelty. Keep it, uh, for the novelty. It only gets used when I take a new person to the range.

2nb90s1.jpg

Of something that I have not purchased, the Lifecard 22LR seems pretty ridiculous.

LifeCard-Web-1.jpg

But who am I to judge? I not only own an NAA Mini, but also bought the laser and bayonet for it. :D

2q8n382.jpg

If you search YT for the "Forgotten Weapons" channel (also related to "Rock Island Auction Company") channel, you will come across some great historic firearms, as well as some newer ones.

Here's the SSK Industries' .950 JDJ Rifle (for the .950 JDJ bullet described in bottom video as 2,600gr bullet traveling at 2,200 fps, making 28,000 ft-lbs of energy):

Last edited:
Lowered bore axis revolvers like the newer Chiappa Rhino also have been around for awhile:

Mateba MTR-8 (8 round 357 magnum + other calibers; 1980's)-
H0579-L116127335.jpg

640px-Mateba_MTR-8_clips_%2818256962413%29.jpg

Mateba 2006M (357 magnum)-
HjGyJ4A.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. I don't know about a cult or maybe I have just missed that. But I was really interested when they first came out thinking they would be a good small game gun. They are simply poor shooting in 410 ga and only marginally okay in 45LC.

Any of the .410 revolvers. I know they have a cult following and a niche market. What bothers me about them is the big box gun store salesman pushing them as the perfect gun on unknowing greenhorn newbies.

Most would be far better served with a .357

I always thought those were snake guns like the Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer (pic from Gunblast):
DSC07448.jpg

Last edited:
Back