MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

That looks great, PE!

I tried my hand at the mustard...

I'm trying to patina these pork swords as well. I figure the cure time will be roughly 22 hours.

After an hour, this is what I've got!

I used French's mustard on my machete with good results. Not sure I want to do it on my mule though.

That looks great, PE!

I tried my hand at the mustard...

I'm trying to patina these pork swords as well. I figure the cure time will be roughly 22 hours.

After an hour, this is what I've got!

Getting there mate, if you want more of a pattern try putting it on lighter it seems to give more pattern when you don't put as much on
and yeah I reckon those pork swords will have a decent patina after 22 hrs!!

I think he means impact toughness measured by the Charpy C-Notch Impact Test. For example the Crucible 3V datasheet pdf shows Cru-Wear at 62 HRC having 30 foot pounds measured on the Charpy test, CPM M4 at 62HRC having 32 foot pounds, and CPM 3V at 62HRC has 40 foot pounds.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...M58wckg4qlCk4gbq8dp6qpA&bvm=bv.49784469,d.cGE

The thing about impact testing is it really doesn't mean much if the knife will be used for cutting things, compression strength is really more in line with that type of use.

K390 is a tool steel and tool steels are not weak or brittle at all, however as with any steel that has a high RC and somewhat thin edge grind side loading needs to be watched so proper cutting techniques such as keeping the spine inline with the edge during cutting will minimize potential problems that some may or may not have. That's not saying the edge will fall apart because it won't.

Also the Mule is around .025" behind the edge, and that is pretty ave for Spyderco so as I posted before just use it as one would use a normal Military in S30V.

love this steel! :D

Agreed, this steel so far seems easy to touch up and takes a nice patina as well!

2013-08-06114202_zpsdd85c372.jpg

This was only from dicing up an onion, cleaning up some meat and then a banana the next morning! Definitely going to be a regular in the kitchen for now.

I missed this and the forum Native due to being in the hospital. If anyone has an extra they wouldn't mind letting go of, I would love to try this steel out.

I just got really bad news about my health and sure could use something to pick me up.

I assume this should hold an edge better than the S110V in the Natives? Has anyone tested hardness in either knife yet? I don't know which one I want to try more and I'm still kicking myself about missing these two.

Agreed, this steel so far seems easy to touch up and takes a nice patina as well!

That looks nice!

My order of Halpern Titanium scales should arrive today, I'm looking to slapping them on and hopefully using this mule on a camping trip this weekend.

Finished up the Testing on the K390 Mule last night, rope, wood and cardboard, edge is at 15 DPS and 400 grit SIC Moldmaster finish.

820 slicing cuts through 5/8" Manila rope and would still slice printer paper.

DSC_38391.JPG

DSC_3830.JPG

DSC_3831.JPG

Resharpened the knife cut up 5 large boxes and it would still shave hair and slice phone book paper.

DSC_38702.JPG

DSC_38691.JPG

DSC_3871.JPG

Then the wood cutting.

DSC_3872.JPG

DSC_38731.JPG

DSC_38741.JPG

DSC_38751.JPG

Wow, sorry I missed this one! That's what I get for not visiting the Spyderco forum in a couple of months.

Scales from Halpern Titanium just arrived. The G10 options are nice, but I just had to try out the CF ones first.

2mepa3m.jpg

The fit and finish is great. The scales are very minutely narrower than the tang, but the gap is essentially uniform around the perimeter and actually gives the knife quite a nice look.

Scales from Halpern Titanium just arrived. The G10 options are nice, but I just had to try out the CF ones first.

2mepa3m.jpg

The fit and finish is great. The scales are very minutely narrower than the tang, but the gap is essentially uniform around the perimeter and actually gives the knife quite a nice look.
I really like those. But they are out until at least October...

Back