multi-tool for a keychain

my EDC is a Ken Onion Leek, but have found mysyelf at times wishing I had some form of multi-tool, however I don't need a full size leatherman

does anyone have a suggestion for a small multi-tool, hopefully one that will fit comfortably on a keychain?

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to carrying things on myself, so the smaller the better, without too much of a hit on quality.

btw, this is off topic but there is a great minimalist wallet made by koyono called the Slimmy

here's a link for a review: http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=645

thanks for the suggestions ahead of time!

I take it you've checked out the smaller Leathermans? Juice/Squirt/Micra? if they aren't what you're looking for, what features would you like in a keychain sized Multi?

I have taken a look at the leatherman line and really the micra was the only one that looked as if it was small enough for what I was looking for...

I have a blade, so I guess it would have been nice if I explained that I was looking for something with needle nose pliers and screw drivers. Of course I need something that can be attached to a key ring, so I don't believe there is anything leatherman has that fits the bill, unless I am missing something.

thanks for the suggestion though : :rolleyes:

The Squirt mentioned in Mirror-Saw's post is availble with needle nose-ish pliers. It is also roughly the same size as the Micra.
Micra: Length: 2.5"/6.35cm closed. Weight: 1.75 ounces/50 grams
Squirt: Length: 2.25"/5.5cm closed. Weight: 2 ounces/57 grams

Leo

I have a Squirt P4 (pliers) which I carry with me when I travel.

My impressions of it are as follows:
It is very small. Not much bigger than a classic swiss army knife, but chunkier.
It feels better built than the Micra, having a heftier feel to the scales.
The pliers open with a nice spring loaded action and feel good in the hand, but they are not designed with large jobs in mind as they are quite small. Good enough for tightening or holding a small bolt or the like, but if you're going to use them a lot, full size is the way to go. I find them more useful as hardcore tweezers than as pliers as they do a very good job at that.
All the other tools (Knife, File, large flathead, small flathead, 'phillips head' and awl) are external; opening without needing to open the pliers which is a bonus. Of course on a multitool this small they do not lock. I haven't used the keychain attachment, but it looks sturdy and well made.

In conclusion - would I choose this as my only blade? Nope.
Is it a reasonable backup when you don't want to carry a full multitool? If you're willing to sacrifice some tools (in reality all you're getting is the pliers, the file, and a screwdriver assortment) then yes.

thanks for the advice
I wasn't aware the squirt was available with pliers, this is perfect
thanks again

Be advised, the Squirt P4 does not have a standard phillips screw driver. It's a flat piece of metal that can twist if you run into a tough screw or tighten a screw too much. However, the Radio Shack version has a more traditional phillips screw driver.

On my rather obese keychain I have (in addition to keys):

Victorinox Rambler
Swiss-Tech Micro-Plus 8in1 tool
P-38 (can opener)
Arc AAA flashlight

None of these are meant to replace a full sized multi-tool, which are not meant to replace regular full sized tools. However, they get me by in most of my small, day to day tasks. I do have a Squirt P-4, but I do not carry it. I also generally carry a full sized pocket knife of some kind. But if I am in a hurry and only grab my keys I have enough to get me by. Besides, my vehicles are both well stocked with pocket knives, full sized multi-tools, flashlights, spare batteries, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Mike

dabryan said:
does anyone have a suggestion for a small multi-tool, hopefully one that will fit comfortably on a keychain?

Are you looking for a pliers- or scissors-based tool?

For scissors, you have the Leatherman Micra or the SOG CrossCut.

For pliers, you have the Leatherman Squirt P4 or the SOG CrossGrip.

Or if you prefer Swiss Army, as I do, then you might look at the Victorinox MiniChamp or Executive.

BalefireX said:
I have a Squirt P4 (pliers) which I carry with me when I travel.

My impressions of it are as follows:
It is very small. Not much bigger than a classic swiss army knife, but chunkier.
It feels better built than the Micra, having a heftier feel to the scales.

While a comparison is not exact because of a different tool mix, the Micra screwdrivers drivers are somewhat longer and therefore more versatile than the Squirt in many circumstances. The Micra cap lifter, marginal at that, is still better than the Squirt, which is barely useable. I agree the build quality of the Squirt seems better and the exterior tool access is more convenient, but the Micra is good enough and for my purposes more useful.
At current prices (Target), Micra sells for half the price of its stablemate, a better deal.

Actually, I own and use both because of the P4 pliers and excellent (for the size) file. I love these win-win situations. :)

yam said:
Be advised, the Squirt P4 does not have a standard phillips screw driver. It's a flat piece of metal that can twist if you run into a tough screw or tighten a screw too much. However, the Radio Shack version has a more traditional phillips screw driver.

This is true. I wish they would put the standard version on the P4 and S4 but alas, it's not meant to be. Also, if you ever need to strip any wires, I highly recommend the Squirt EL from Radioshack. It's small and works very well for stripping and cutting wires. It also has small "needle nose" pliers on the end past the wire strippers for crimping. It's a very handy little tool but also expensive. The EL runs $40 whereas the P4 and S4 run about $25-$30. The Micra is even cheaper and can be found closer to $15.

yam said:
On my rather obese keychain I have (in addition to keys):

Victorinox Rambler
Swiss-Tech Micro-Plus 8-in-1 tool
P-38 (can opener)
Arc AAA flashlight

You don't allow all this gear to hang from your car's ignition, do you?

I used to do that, until I had to have a new ignition cylinder installed.

Live and learn.

cardimon said:
You don't allow all this gear to hang from your car's ignition, do you?

I used to do that, until I had to have a new ignition cylinder installed.

Live and learn.

My 2000 Dodge that I bought new in 2000 is fine along with our Ford Ranger we bought new in 1993. Though I have heard the cautions and stories of people having problems for a long time, I have never personally had any problems. Not saying I won't, just sayong I haven't so far.

Mike

if you require the use of a mini plier or scissor alot of times, I would reccomend the Leatherman Squirt P4 and S4 (I haven't tried any of the SOG ones). However, if you just need a tool for small and easy tasks, go for the Victorinox keychain ones. Victorinox doesn't feel as tough as Leatherman, but it is sure alot lighter and smaller.

Like you, carrying a full sized multi tool is way too clumsy and unnecessary for me, so I carry the Squirt P4 and Victorinox Signature Lite on my keychain.

LongDistance said:
Like you, carrying a full sized multi tool is way too clumsy and unnecessary for me, so I carry the Squirt P4 and Victorinox Signature Lite on my keychain.

How are the pliers on the Squirt P4?

cardimon said:
How are the pliers on the Squirt P4?

Good for it's small size. It is suicide to use the Squirt P4's plier on any tough or big jobs, but it is handy for small and tiny tasks. To make it short, you do not want to depend your life on the P4's plier, but you can trust it enough to bend your twisted key ring back to shape. Since I am not living in a warzone or an extreme situation, the P4's plier is good enough EDC for me. However, if I sense a big job coming, I will bring a Ti Charge or Swiss Tool.

LongDistance said:
Good for it's small size. It is suicide to use the Squirt P4's plier on any tough or big jobs, but it is handy for small and tiny tasks. To make it short, you do not want to depend your life on the P4's plier, but you can trust it enough to bend your twisted key ring back to shape.

So it's fine for convenience, but not for anything serious. For that, we're right back to full-size multitools.

I have a couple of the Squirt and Juice range too ..... for me they aren't big/strong enough for any decent work and are also not small/light enough to be keychain friendly ..... gave them to the wife to keep in her handbag :D

Do miss the cool Yellow colour of the KF4 though :)

Perfectionist said:
I have a couple of the Squirt and Juice range too ..... for me they aren't big/strong enough for any decent work and are also not small/light enough to be keychain friendly .....

Yea, the Squirt takes a huge chuck out of my pocket. But if you look at the alternatives for a plier tool, the Squirt is the most common and smallest tool to be found.

It would be nice if someone could do a side by side comparison of the Leatherman Squirts to the SOG Crosses because I only got the Squirts

Back