Murray Carter "Muteki" Camp Knife

Originally posted by Gus Kalanzis
:D

well, I do have the knives for it, but I'm not like that!!!;)

Here is the other side of the handle, nice Desert Ironwood eh?
G2

Wow, talk about good timing...look what came in the mail today from Larry at BladeArt (Thanks Larry!!)

carter_chef.jpg

This is gonna see some use!

-Michael

Nice Michael...always have to get one just a little bigger than mine...:)
I take it that you're happy with it?

G2

Gary--That is some serious ironwood. Nice to see such high-quality pics of such nice wood. Beautiful knife. Thanks--Will

Hello all,

I just returned from the Blade Show West and bought my first custom knife. It just happens to be the Murray Carter Camp Knife pictured in the original post by Blues. I am so excited and can't wait to go camping soon.

I am planning on starting a collection of Mr. Carter's knives as I found many that I wanted to buy.

I found Mr. Carter to be a very pleasent person to talk with. He took the time not only to explain the intricacies of the knife but also a short lesson on sharpening.

I think the neck knife I also saw posted on this site is my next buy.

Be safe all,

Mike

You have a way about you BLUES that simply makes other people go out and spend money…

Maybe the American economy needs to sing the Blues…but in your way..

Thanks, brother.

It'd be a nice way to help bring about a bit of normalcy again.

Maybe I should also tell folks that I "dollar cost average" a couple of times a month, every month, into the stock market, rain or shine.

It's time to get this nation on its feet again and to get the market moving in the right direction.

Blilious, you watch yourself over there and stay strong.

I met Murray Carter this last Friday at Blade Show West. He was very nice, a true gentleman. We had a nice conversation and he answered all my questions, with no pressure or snobbery. I regret that a new toy wasn't in the budget, but I know that I will one day own one (probably more) of his fine knives. I second Blues' opinion of that knife. It incredibly good in my hand. Almost put it on the credit card. :( Being fiscally responsible sucks!

A few weeks ago I decided I had drooled over the pictures and testimonials long enough. I called Larry at BladeArt, and voila!
carter_side.jpg

Everything that has been said about the balance, feel, and comfort of this knife is true. I feel priviledged to find myself among the lucky owners of knives made by Murray Carter. :)

I also picked up one of those camp knives before Christmas.

Very well made and a darn good looking knife

Are these blades (and other Muteki) blades made by Mr. Carter himself or are they made under his supervision in his shop? Just curious....

Murray makes them himself.

I believe the difference is that if it only says Carter, that means that Murray hand forged the blade. If it says Muteki, then it is still made by Murray, only that the blade was not forged.

very good thread about Murray Carter.

at Blade Show West, we spent a lot of time together.

Obtained one of his kitchen knives for my wife Phyllis and she likes it a lot.

His knives look great and are extremely sharp and functional.

He always has lots of good choices at his table so if one is at a show where he is, be sure to purchase a great knife. Be sure to get a T Shirt too.

Murray Carter is truly a fine gentleman in the world of knives. He makes great knives and when it comes to kitchen cutlery he cannot be surpassed. He is a man we call friend.
Ed & Angie

High praise indeed, considering the source!

Gotta get me a Carter.

But I also gotta get me a Fowler :)

So, bringing this thread up to the top again...

Has anybody had a chance to put the camp knife through it's paces and if so, what were the results?

Nobody, I have not received mine yet, but I want to hear from those who have used theirs too. I have found my kitchen and kiridashi knives to be fairly tough and with durable edges, but have a camp knife (6") and a neck knife coming.

Paul

Back