Mustelid Scout Series - EDC/Large Neckers

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A few of you have tried blades I cut by hand like these ones, and have said that you liked them. I am going to be making more like these, in .100" AEB-L first (just over 3/32"), and possibly other steels and thicknesses down the road. If they are successful in the first run, MagnaCut is a distinct possibility, and would seem like the logical step.

I have yet to come up with a name for this series, other than "knuckle clearance large necker". 🤷‍♂️ This new version is slightly slimmer than most of those originals, and knuckle clearance is no longer a defining theme. The blades are still quite tall, at nearly an inch of blade height at the widest point, so they will still be excellent slicers.

ETA: Given their lightness, speed and ability to be called forth at a whim, these will be the Mustelid Scout Series, named for the fleetfooted family of animals, thanks to the great suggestion of Hurrul Hurrul .

The design is 7" overall with 3.48" blades, a heavily skeletonized handle and two .255" pin holes. They all have the exact same handle and jimping, with only the blade profiles differing. Here are the different flavors:

Wharncliffe - Otter Scout
1668538758674.png
Bowie - Marten Scout

1668538781827.png
Drop Point - Polecat Scout
1668538776833.png
Spear Point - Badger Scout
1668538787806.png
Tanto - Wolverine Scout
1668538800979.png

Hawkbill - Fisher Scout
1668538771220.png
Modified Clip Point - Weasel Scout (aka Speed Weasel)
1668538794580.png

Everyone is welcome to discuss possibilities in this thread for a suitable name for the series, in keeping (of course) with the image of propriety and decency I wish to share with the world through my work. Because there are seven possible blade shapes, so the name that gets chosen will ultimately be blade shape neutral. [...] So what name jumps out at you for this series, and why?

Which out of the shapes would you most likely grab, and how would you carry and use them? Thanks!

Last edited:
''little boy''

you could make bigger ones called ''fat man''

I'd probably put a ulti clip or Mummert clip on a kydex sheath and front pocket carry any of them

Here & Now Series
Straight Back, or Modified Point is my favorite, and that shape is easy to modify for you into spear, drop, and others. On the fly, if wanted.

These seem to me, to be light and fast, nearly always at the ready.....around the neck, in a pocket, rigged for belt carry, attached to a vest...

Out in front, with the Scout series.....or Navigator....

Scout Companion Clip Point
Scout Warden Wharncliffe
Scout Vanguard Spear Point

I am partial to Mustelids - the Weasel family - due to their survival escapades in outdoor lore, craftiness, and ferociousness.....Weasel Companion? EDC Pocket Weasel....the last thing you want in your pocket is a Weasel, unless it's a David Mary Pocket Weasel. Badgers, wolverines, ferrets, pine martins, fishers, otters, mink....

I like a lot of the ideas so far, but Hurrul Hurrul what I love about yours is that the entire series can be Mustelid based and each blade shape have its own animal, and I think I'd like to combine it with your Scout suggestion. Weasel Scout, Wolverine Scout, etc. This one's going to get some serious mullberries from me.

I'm really liking this so far; seven blade shapes, and seven well know mustelids:

Badger Scout Drop Point
Marten Scout Bowie
Otter Scout Wharncliffe
Fisher Scout Hawkbill
Polecat Scout Spear Point
Weasel Scout Straight Clip
Wolverine Scout Tanto

Ermine
Ferret
Grison
Mink
Stoat

Does the addition of Scout make too many syllables?

Is this better?

Badger Drop Point
Marten Bowie
Otter Wharncliffe
Fisher Hawkbill
Polecat Spear Point
Weasel Straight Clip
Wolverine Tanto

If I go in that direction, the question is which blade shape becomes which animal?
Hawk Bill could be Eagle Scout, but then you'd have trademark issues.

I prefer the spear point first. Then Wharncliffe, and finally drop point. I already have a modified clip point in LC200N that came in this week, but that would actually be my 4th choice of the bunch.

I'm really liking this so far; seven blade shapes, and seven well know mustelids:

Badger Scout Drop Point
Marten Scout Bowie
Otter Scout Wharncliffe
Fisher Scout Hawkbill
Polecat Scout Spear Point
Weasel Scout Straight Clip
Wolverine Scout Tanto

Ermine
Ferret
Grison
Mink
Stoat

Does the addition of Scout make too many syllables?

Is this better?

Badger Drop Point
Marten Bowie
Otter Wharncliffe
Fisher Hawkbill
Polecat Spear Point
Weasel Straight Clip
Wolverine Tanto
In the top section, the Badger Scout sounds fine if you don't have to include "Drop Point" in the name for example.

So, I'd use the animal + blade type, OR animal + scout. But NOT animal + scout + blade type.

DocJekl DocJekl yeah I thought it probably sounded too wordy, thanks for confirming. Animal + Scout it is. People can see the blade shapes for themselves after all. :)

Can you make Badger the Spear Point, and make Polecat the Drop Point, LOL, so I can get a Badger?

Although I do love Otters, so will there be a package deal for both? My Badger can eat my Otter 🤣

It's all arbitrary at this point, so behold my presto change, yo:

Badger Scout (Spear Point)
Marten Scout (Bowie)
Otter Scout (Wharncliffe)
Fisher Scout (Hawkbill)
Polecat Scout (Drop Point)
Wolverine Scout (Tanto)
Weasel Scout aka Speed Weasel (Straight Clip)

There will be two prototypes of each model on the first run.

I think they look very useful as a Handy Knife Series.
Weasel series is great. We have mink, marten, and ermine on our property frequently and they are amazing hunters. Watching a snow white ermine grab a grouse or shrew and then disappear into the snow is amazing. Very quick and efficient, as these blades appear to be. A wolverine visited the cabin last winter and left tracks all around but I have still never seen one in the wild.
I really like the spearpoint, drop point, and modified clip in that order. When I picture the blades and critters, I think ermine or marten and spearpoint go together. Maybe a whitish scale or liner. I would use as an edc/chores/fishing knife. Would love one in magnacut to see how great it is in rain/snow.

It's all arbitrary at this point, so behold my presto change, yo:

Badger Scout (Spear Point)
Marten Scout (Bowie)
Otter Scout (Wharncliffe)
Fisher Scout (Hawkbill)
Polecat Scout (Drop Point)
Wolverine Scout (Tanto)
Weasel Scout aka Speed Weasel (Straight Clip)

I reserve the right to refer to my current Necker/EDC from you as the Speed Weasel v0.9 (with your consent).

IMG_8489.JPG

Back