Mustelid Scout Series - EDC/Large Neckers

I thought rough neck at first but didn’t want it to sound like a fighting knife . Tough neck sounded more for work to me
When I grew up in Texas we called people working on the oil wells Rough Necks, but also means tough and rugged fighters, or rough and uncouth people. So, rough neck was not always a compliment 🤣

Marten Scout
IMG_1896.JPG

Polecat Scout WIP pic
img_1634-jpg.2144154

Badger Scout
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG

This Badger Scout got a little extra material on the handle butt as a special request.
IMG_1716.JPG

Badger Scout mini?
IMG_1759.JPG

I didn't have any Badger prototypes left but a customer who previously purchased a spearpoint neck knife needed a new knife of roughly the same size and blade shape, so this was provided, a Marten Scout blank, ground into a somewhat broader tipped Badger Scout with a shorter blade.

Weasel Scout, aka Speed Weasel
IMG_1857.JPG

As a matter of fact the Weasel Scout above started as Wolverine Scout blank. I received an additional order beyond what I anticipated for the Speed Weasel, and nobody ordered a Wolverine Scout, so I scrapped the Wolverine prototype altogether and ground it into this. I'll probably only make the Wolverine by request, but Martens, Badgers and Weasels will have a return a the next appropriate opportunity.

I still have to make the Otter Scout and Fisher Scout prototypes.

Really looking forward to my Firedog Canvas Badger Scout. I think it will be perfect for edc, chores on the property, and foraging for berries and tea-making plants when I am up there. Thank you for making it!

Marten Scout
View attachment 2156528

Polecat Scout WIP pic
img_1634-jpg.2144154

Badger Scout
View attachment 2156530
View attachment 2156531

This Badger Scout got a little extra material on the handle butt as a special request.
View attachment 2156529

Badger Scout mini?
View attachment 2156533

I didn't have any Badger prototypes left but a customer who previously purchased a spearpoint neck knife needed a new knife of roughly the same size and blade shape, so this was provided, a Marten Scout blank, ground into a somewhat broader tipped Badger Scout with a shorter blade.

Weasel Scout, aka Speed Weasel
View attachment 2156532

As a matter of fact the Weasel Scout above started as Wolverine Scout blank. I received an additional order beyond what I anticipated for the Speed Weasel, and nobody ordered a Wolverine Scout, so I scrapped the Wolverine prototype altogether and ground it into this. I'll probably only make the Wolverine by request, but Martens, Badgers and Weasels will have a return a the next appropriate opportunity.

I still have to make the Otter Scout and Fisher Scout prototypes.
As much as I love spear points/wharnies/seax/sheepsfeet and such, the slim point, thin tip and gentle edge belly make the Weasel a sharp looking and performing easy carry tool.

Great work on this growing stable of beasts.

June travels keeping thing busy, in a lingering long Rocky mountain Spring. But, have a Badger Scout, and the will to roam and who knows what one might see...

Having been hiking around with this set up: Alfa-knife/Damon Lusky Patriot and the Badger Scout:
NinD9bth.jpg

d347AeUh.jpg

'zee Grand Tetons, west facing aspect:
1mNzcTmh.jpg

Rocky Mountain Juniper:
3e6GKpBh.jpg

Clamatis:
2BoWLyZh.jpg

I stalked the elusive Leopard Lilly:
fgumpdEh.jpg

N. Cottonwood creek, looking up canyon to the high country:
gu67lrXh.jpg

I was not imagining that I would wander into a pack of badgers, but low and behold, in two separate touristy visitor centers 200 miles apart in different states, I encountered the wily, more common underground hunter:
4WznlBjh.jpg

and also saw an example of the very rare Rocky Mountain Wall Badger:
sG23a6dh.jpg

Looking from the Madison Range east to the Gallatin Range:
i10iDGch.jpg

Some 2.5 billion year old granitic rock slowly being exhumed from the soil:
0aczEtWh.jpg

True but at the end of last month I entered the "move 2 minutes away from the shop" cheat code... 😬
Works for me; I'd forget about my romantic notions of earth and sky. They don't make the world go round much slower or faster.

Good for you for working smarter, rather than just harder in life....I believe that's what a Badger would do, too.

Back