My 2 HI WW2's 1 horn 1 wood and a "new" old one

Thanks for coming over Berk. You're alright in spite of what I've heard.:p ;) And one helluva lot more knowledgeable about khukuris than I'll ever be.:)

CowCop those are just what was needed although it's still next to impossible to say what material the keeper is made of, from here anyway. You could try using a pencil eraser and see if you could remove some of the years off the keeper if you're that curious, bearing in mind that it's best to leave old things alone if you ever intend to sell them as messing with the finish and such can make them worth a lot less.:( But I'm gonna guess it's either steel or copper and I'm leaning towards the steel for what it's worth.:rolleyes:
I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say that the old khuk has a full length tang that's peened over. However if it had a wood handle I'd say your guess is as good as mine but that it could very well be a nail tapped in to fool people.

pommel2.jpg

I also sorta agree with Berk that the handle may be more for show than go, But...;)
I have a friend who bought a lavishly decorated AK from Uncle Bill when Pala and a couple of other trusted family members were searching nearby villages for khukuris good enough to sell for hard use and IIRC full tangs peened over...
Looking at the elaborately punched designs on this khukuri along with its bone handle most people, even those with lots of knowledge about khukuris, first impressions would be that it was junk.
But this khukuri has seen quite a bit of hard use in a few wild places around the world. The trick is too keep the bone well cared for.:thumbup: :cool: :D

Nice Dia chirra kukri at a bargain price & perhaps old enough that the bone is thick walled. Id guess WW2 era but could be older or even slightly newer., Id guess the same about Berks, but as hes says evryone has an opinion!

Like the keeper, seen that on a few 20s & 30s pieces as well.

Spiral

My guess would be the handle is bone.

Are both of the khuks in the first picture WWII's? The one on the right looked to have a tang and handle more characteristic of the CAK than the WWII's i've seen....

My guess would be the handle is bone.

Are both of the khuks in the first picture WWII's? The one on the right looked to have a tang and handle more characteristic of the CAK than the WWII's i've seen....

You are correct Radrunner..they are a 16.5 inch 27 ounce WWII by Shaila kami and a 16.5 inch 25 ounce chiruwa Ang Khola by Get kami

I would like to thank everyone for their replies!!!! :thumbup:

CowCop those are just what was needed although it's still next to impossible to say what material the keeper is made of, from here anyway. You could try using a pencil eraser and see if you could remove some of the years off the keeper if you're that curious, bearing in mind that it's best to leave old things alone if you ever intend to sell them as messing with the finish and such can make them worth a lot less. But I'm gonna guess it's either steel or copper and I'm leaning towards the steel for what it's worth.

Yvsa, I used a magnet and it appears that the center is indeed steel

pommel_steel.JPG

Thank you very much for your opinion

Back