My Bushboot Sheath

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Made this yesterday while monkeying around with the design for the KPH.

sheaat102_1695-vi.jpg

sheaat102_1696-vi.jpg

sheaat102_1697-vi.jpg

sheaat102_1700-vi.jpg

Sweet!

The pocket sheath is a great option for a knife of that length. I've got a Bailey that is nearly 9 inches and it works great in 5.11 pants. Much more useful than a vertical belt sheath, and a breeze to move from the work pants to the chore pants. Oh, and that Bushboot is a sweetie.

Last edited:
Lookin' good there, Andy! Don't know why ya hate sheathmaking so much, you're great at it! :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Lookin' good there, Andy! Don't know why ya hate sheathmaking so much, you're great at it! :thumbup:

Thats easy. Finish off a batch of 15 knives then think of delaying getting paid until you finish 15 sheaths for very little extra cash. I love doing what I do, but its a business, and anything that doesn't feed the kids has to get cut.

Man, that sheath is killer. Me wants one <insert sad, puppy dog looking smilie here>. Your Bushboot is pretty sweet too, but I still like mine better:D

I'll take it - knife and sheath! Tell me where to send the funds....what a minute....this is NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!!! :grumpy:

I was having a little issue there. Hi I'm Yellow Lab and I have knife envy....:)

Thanks guys.

Thats easy. Finish off a batch of 15 knives then think of delaying getting paid until you finish 15 sheaths for very little extra cash. I love doing what I do, but its a business, and anything that doesn't feed the kids has to get cut.

They still look awesome. :D:thumbup:

Great sheath, and great blade!!

Im truely amazed at how far your work has came bro....I mean...wow. :thumbup::thumbup:

I think it is a little too coffin shaped for your designs Andy. You have round lines in your knives and square lines in your sheaths. I think this is because squaring off edges is easier to do.

The opening looks too large as well - but that might be because of the blade on the knife.

Also, the large stitches look - well - like you don't like to stitch. They look too far apart for a sheath.

I hope this is coming across as constructive - I am not trying to be a dick and I respect the hell out of you.

I wonder if a more sheild look would flow a little better. Round the top and bring it back in toward the blade - blunt the bottom but leave it rounded some. I think it not only would look better but feel better in the pocket.

With that said, your clip looks great, the dye job looks nice, and your edges are clean.

Execution isn't your problem, my fear is that motivation is - this ISN'T a problem with your blades - they are great.

TF

I agree to some extent with andy about the sheathwork and the money, but I found that an investment in a few tooling bit- especially a stitching horse- made a huge difference in time spent. It is probably worth an extra 50 to 60 bucks on the price of my regular knives, but I am admittedly still loling the big blades. A sheath for a larger blade is an easy c-note to order.

Andy- we should chat sometime :D

I also agree with talfuchre to some extent. 4tpi is about as large as you can really go on stittching, beyong that you really need to be lacing for the look to come out right. A marking wheel and a $8 stitching awl make short work of that problem.

I kinda agree about the stylistic mismatch, and kinda don't. I think the sheath is really well designed for staying upright in a pocket, pouch, or boot. No, it doesn't match you handle style much, but it is an in pocket/boot sheath and has to be designed for that. And as such, it is excellent.

I am a big fan of simplicity, and you hit an elegant form/function level with it. At 4 or 5 tpi stitching and a bit heavier edge bevelling, KG would not know if it was hers :D

Still, I wanna see a coffin handled edc to match!!

Christof,

Thanks for tempering my comments some. When I wrote what I wrote - it was my opinion at the time - and I am known to be wrong nearly all the time! ;)

I get your point about the type of sheath that was being made for and I think that makes sense.

TF

I agree to some extent with andy about the sheathwork and the money, but I found that an investment in a few tooling bit- especially a stitching horse- made a huge difference in time spent. It is probably worth an extra 50 to 60 bucks on the price of my regular knives, but I am admittedly still loling the big blades. A sheath for a larger blade is an easy c-note to order.

Andy- we should chat sometime :D

I also agree with talfuchre to some extent. 4tpi is about as large as you can really go on stittching, beyong that you really need to be lacing for the look to come out right. A marking wheel and a $8 stitching awl make short work of that problem.

I kinda agree about the stylistic mismatch, and kinda don't. I think the sheath is really well designed for staying upright in a pocket, pouch, or boot. No, it doesn't match you handle style much, but it is an in pocket/boot sheath and has to be designed for that. And as such, it is excellent.

I am a big fan of simplicity, and you hit an elegant form/function level with it. At 4 or 5 tpi stitching and a bit heavier edge bevelling, KG would not know if it was hers :D

Still, I wanna see a coffin handled edc to match!!

NOOOOO! No coffin handle anything. I'm going to do a bunch of small coffin handle EDC size knives. I was planning on starting them Sunday. It looks like I copy Andy enough as it is. DON'T DO IT!

Back