My collection already included 4 Buck 110's, but...

If I remember right it seems I read somewhere that some of the diamond wood on flat sided handles did have an outer layer of the actual wood type similar to a vaneer such as oak, walnut or whatever wood was desired. I know my 112 custom with heritage walnut sure looks like walnut vaneer and the oak ones looked like oak grained. On rounded handles it would be of no benefit as most would be ground off. I’ve seen some exotic type woods done similarly on laminates for fancy trim on watercraft where weather and water resistance was necessary.

I think you are correct Les. The 110 above doesn’t look like birch. I know for a fact Cherrywood didn’t come from a cherry tree! Just let the consumer know what they are buying.

Sorry for the thread drift OP!

I did something similar to you recently. I have more 110’s than I’ll ever need. But I found a 25th anniversary model. Ebony wood with nickel silver. The blade is broken off. So I got it cheap. Eventually it will get sent in for a blade replacement and spa treatment. It will be a really nice knife for not much money.

But to your point. I didn’t need another 110. I’m so weak. Lol

I think you are correct Les. The 110 above doesn’t look like birch. I know for a fact Cherrywood didn’t come from a cherry tree! Just let the consumer know what they are buying.

Sorry for the thread drift OP!

I did something similar to you recently. I have more 110’s than I’ll ever need. But I found a 25th anniversary model. Ebony wood with nickel silver. The blade is broken off. So I got it cheap. Eventually it will get sent in for a blade replacement and spa treatment. It will be a really nice knife for not much money.

But to your point. I didn’t need another 110. I’m so weak. Lol
Sounds like you'll definitely have one sweet user for a great price.

You know it's funny, with how much I love the 110 my original has really been enough for me.
Until the 110lt came out I had no desire for another 110 since I already owned one, I had to really convince myself to buy the LT at that.
I'm an accumulator of users and there's no way I could justify more than one classic 110.
If I was a collector I'd be broke

If I was a collector I'd be broke
yep a slippery slope easy to go down.......have to have a full budget and stick to it. running your own wallet or home is no different than running a small business. cant go over budget or not for very long. sadly many run their wallet/household like a bankrupt business with too far much leverage.......

the dymondwood types are great users. never worried about drying out, shrinking, getting too wet etc. sure ebony is stabilized and will hold up well, but time will tell. now waiting for multi colored ebony to hit the shelves outside of rare special runs.......just like the coloring more than the all black wood.

I vaguely remember watching a video, many years ago, concerning Buck's early use of Ebony, (which I believe came from Madagascar).
They spoke about the shipments arriving from there with bunches of large cockroaches native to that large island. My hair stands up on end just thinking about it!
Anyhow, if it were not for this new Buck venture buying Taylor Guitar's small left over pieces, (and again, at most likely a great pricing deal), I don't believe Buck could have pulled this off, (using Ebony again as a standard Buck 110 material), without considerably having to raise the price of the basic Buck 110.

It was already pretty amazing to be able to get a Buck 110 at what one can get them for today, but to go back to Ebony wood scales, and the price remain stable, is just fantastic! This truly is a win/win situation.
The Laminated versions will be available for a while, since it will take a little bit of time for all existing stocks out there to run dry, and of course with so many of them having been made, they should easily be available on the second hand market.

Last edited:
I have to say that I kind of find the ebony 110's a bit plain looking compared to the diamondwood of my 110.
The surface of the ebony feels a bit better compared to the resin surface of the diamondwood though.
I

Agree the plain black wood doesnt do anything for me but those with the color variation look good.
now waiting for multi colored ebony to hit the shelves outside of rare special runs.......just like the coloring more than the all black wood.
I like the solid black ebony...I also like the multi coloredo_O

I posted in the SPS my new 2019 110 and compared it to my 1991 110, both with solid black ebony. There is just something about the solid black...it's just solid!:D:rolleyes::D

I like the solid black ebony...I also like the multi coloredo_O

I posted in the SPS my new 2019 110 and compared it to my 1991 110, both with solid black ebony. There is just something about the solid black...it's just solid!:D:rolleyes::D

I suppose I'm just used to the diamondwood on 110's, I've got a knife with ebony and plenty of other black handled knives i like so that has to be it.

I suppose I'm just used to the diamondwood on 110's, I've got a knife with ebony and plenty of other black handled knives i like so that has to be it.
Even before the Dymondwood was used the Macassar Ebony was largely multi-colored, so it goes back further.

I agree they were multicolored. I think mine turned solid black over time during hard use. The anniversary one I have is very light almost grey.

Last edited:
Since Crelicam, (partially owned by Taylor Guitars), prides itself with using all the lumber cut down, solid black or not, I'm sure the Buck 110's will now have all sorts of handle color variations, not just the dark or black.
This will be pretty cool, imo, because there may be more color variations than with the previous laminated wood product used.

Since Crelicam, (partially owned by Taylor Guitars), prides itself with using all the lumber cut down, solid black or not, I'm sure the Buck 110's will now have all sorts of handle color variations, not just the dark or black.
This will be pretty cool, imo, because there may be more color variations than with the previous laminated wood product used.

So far we've only seen the multi colored ebony on special runs labeled as such. "Multi colored handles" so idk if buck let's the different color wood go into the regular production runs, I hope they do.

I know that laminated wood, (also known as Pakkawood, Staminawood, Dymondwood, and more), was very popular for quite a while. Buck always seemed to offer it in classy forms, it still looking pretty much like wood, but with the extra toughness and durability that laminated wood offers.
I think a lot of very cheaply made knives, (in every sense of that word), were brought in from abroad that gave the laminated wood a bad reputation as being a cheap product for cheap knives. Of course not all imports, (and domestically made knives), made with laminated wood, were/are inferior. But, enough of them were, and they helped in a big way in killing the roll that laminated wood was on.
Buck continued using it, but again, they always offered it in a way that represented well. Like a poster above stated, it looked so much like wood, that he didn't know it wasn't all natural until he read about it.
I don't see the laminated wood on knives being used anywhere to the levels it once was, at least not with the quality names in the industry.
All that said... whether you like it or not, a good laminated wood product is a very stable and durable knife handle/scale material :)

I do prefer a real natural quality wood, and not only for it's natural aesthetics, but also because I like the old school'ness of it.

Dymondwood may be one of the last makers of this knife scale laminated wood. I think the previous Buck supplier of the laminated wood product, had a fire or something, and I think it put them out of business.

For some of Buck's knives, like the 119 Special & 120 General, the laminated wood is likely to stay for the foreseeable future. The phenolic handles are nice, but if someone wants one with a wood-look, the laminated wood is probably the only way to go. The way these knives are assembled, a natural wood may simply not be anywhere as structurally tough as the laminated type, so their designs almost demand the laminated product.

Last edited:
I've found the 110 to be just about perfect for every day use..especially with a drop point blade. My first was the 2007 BCCI 111 Elk and I have used it since the day I got it. I talk about 112's because I collect the odd ones but a simple Ebony 110 is classic for a reason..it works well. I had a very over sized 112 with Ebony in a brass frame that was as thick as Stag that I now know must have been a employees or Custom shop knife that felt great in my hand but looked plain and now I don't even remember what happened to it. When Buck made the 112 BOTM in Ebony I did a lot of research on Bucks use of Ebony and it dates back to the very beginning after WW2 and into the 50's for fixed blades. Joe mentioned in the early days of the 110/112 Buck had a employee who tried to match the scales..

Back