CRKT My first CRKT product seems perfectly fine . Happy surprise !

Regarding T-hawks of this style; What's a good one? I read enough amazon reviews and saw enough chipped out pictures to not want this CRKT, but is there a decent one out there of this size for around $100? Do I really have to bust out $500 for an RMJ?
I believe I got a good HT on mine . It is definitely not brittle . I've seen mostly good reviews and hard use videos where it performed well without chipping . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:( But there seem to be some that get a bad HT , so that they will chip out , especially on the top corner . :mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I have no idea of the chances of buying a good vs bad . :confused:

I've also read suggestions that the bad ones are counterfeits / China fakes . I just don't know . o_O

I've had quite a few crkt's, both folder and fixed, I'd say 20 or so. Well more than half had unacceptable design flaws, fit/finish issues, or poor quality control. One good example doesn't redeem all the bad.

I've had quite a few crkt's, both folder and fixed, I'd say 20 or so. Well more than half had unacceptable design flaws, fit/finish issues, or poor quality control. One good example doesn't redeem all the bad.
:) I agree totally . But their products do not seem to be all bad , all the time ! ;)

:) I agree totally . But their products do not seem to be all bad , all the time ! ;)
Above 50% fail rate is too much for me to risk when there are so many other brands that don't have this issue. To each their own.

Anyone by chance owns or has seen one of the very few special 154cm ti runs of the M-16 from like 9 years ago?

The crkt "Heiho" is probably the best-named knife ever made. Heiho.

9xT67DZ.jpg
The Heiho was too small for me, but I would love a Heiho XL! I love the scales and the stainless blade.

Above 50% fail rate is too much for me to risk when there are so many other brands that don't have this issue. To each their own.
I'm totally disappointed with my Crossbones. It has over 50% lockup, and the lockbar sticks/wedges under the tang when I deploy the blade fairly hard. In my opinion, this is the most common problem with Chinese imports. I'll definitely be passing on the Jumbones, or whatever it's called.

th

You consistently denigrate CRKT, but you've bought 20...? What's your motivation to keep handing them your cash? One bad knife would have kept me away forever.

I've bought two, one each at the ends of their price spectrum & like them both. My Ken Onion Eros is almost equal in quality to my Sebenza but a 1/3 the price.

You consistently denigrate CRKT, but you've bought 20...? What's your motivation to keep handing them your cash? One bad knife would have kept me away forever.

I've bought two, one each at the ends of their price spectrum & like them both. My Ken Onion Eros is almost equal in quality to my Sebenza but a 1/3 the price.
You make a very excellent point ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If a company is all :poop: , why buy more than once or twice ? :confused:

I finally broke down and bought the Crawford Kasper folder just because I have always been a fan of the design. I wasn’t expecting much for $20, but I must say that I am very impressed with it. It’s a much nicer knife than I would have guessed at that price.

Many were before I knew what quality was. The rest were because I really liked the designs. It's been about five years since I bought one. I learned my lesson.

No need to stay away from a company because of one bad knife. That's silly. Every company is capable of delivering a lemon. Crkt just does it at a much higher rate.

You make a very excellent point ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If a company is all :poop: , why buy more than once or twice ? :confused:
I never said I got all crap from crkt.

While placing a phone order with one of the big outfitters, I was up-sold a CRKT 2045 Free Range. It was on clearance as it was a discontinued model and the price of the knife put me over the threshold to get free shipping. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I have one CRKT. It's a Krein Dogfish that I bought at a pawn shop in Georgia for $16. I use the bottle opener end as a paint can opener and the blade to open boxes at work. It gets abused but it's easy to sharpen and it works.

Turns out, the Free Range a surprisingly well built knife. Much nicer than I expected from CRKT after reading all the bad reviews over the years. F&F is really nice. Lock-up is tight. No blade play. 8Cr13MoV.

I don't carry it because it's a bit thick in the handle but it's comfortable in hand.

I'll dig it out and post some photos later.

httpsimages.salsify.comimageuploads--h9fnypqy--c_padw_1840h_824fl_clip.png8yawtwoxx6lsjpuaf8ft0.png

I also like the red Burnley Obake. You can get it at Knifecenter for only $22. Fun knife.

timthumb.php

I got 2 of these in a cheap multi-knife pkg deal on the Exchange and, if I want to go full Ninja, I can carry them both IWB w/the sheaths looped/secured to my belt for 2 handed action but I'd probably just end up cutting myself if I did that. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I'm totally disappointed with my Crossbones. It has over 50% lockup, and the lockbar sticks/wedges under the tang when I deploy the blade fairly hard. In my opinion, this is the most common problem with Chinese imports. I'll definitely be passing on the Jumbones, or whatever it's called.

th

I know this thread is a couple months old, but just in case you still have yours try taking a #2 pencil and rubbing it on the liner lock face and/or blade tang where it meets the liner lock. Then flip it for while and repeat the process. I did that to mine and the lock stick completely disappeared. I know it's not a true carbidization process, but it worked for me. Mine was also at 50% when I got it and hasn't moved since. I picked mine it up here on the forum for a good price and was kinda disappointed at first with the lock stick. After I did the above I absolutely love it. Now I'm looking at getting the Jumbones to go with it.

CRKT gets a bad rep for using inferior materials. I have some 8cr13mov knives that sharpen up faster, easier and sharper than my S35VNs. Heat treat, carbides, etc all play a role too. Sure 8cr13 won't cut forever until it needs touched up again, but for the price point CRKT makes some really fun knives.

CRKT gets a bad rep for using inferior materials. I have some 8cr13mov knives that sharpen up faster, easier and sharper than my S35VNs. Heat treat, carbides, etc all play a role too. Sure 8cr13 won't cut forever until it needs touched up again, but for the price point CRKT makes some really fun knives

The 8cr stuff might be a step in the direction but CRKT has a long history of using crap steel with a joke of a HT. The M16 line & Mt. Peak line in AUS4/6 were junk that won't take an edge or will roll/dull on the first few cuts of any material.

People go back to them every so often because they kick out some cool designs but keep disappointing with the low quality execution. I've said it before, if CRKT upped their materials, HT and QC just a little, (along the lines of Bestech, Civivi, Real Steel), they would rule a large portion of the industry and be respected, but they are content on putting out cool designs in a low price/quality package. They are what they are and they will never evolve. Their piss poor attempt, in the past year, to build a high end line just shows how out of touch with reality they are and how incompetent they are. It seems like they work harder at sucking than the effort it would take to produce quality.

I still like my Drifter, but it has been bumped from carry by others, Mini Grip, 940, Sog Terminus, and a couple traditionals I rotate through for daily office carry. I also still go look at the M16, M21 line every so often thinking I might take a gamble but the price vs. risk of a lemon makes me move on to something else or save my money for another, Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, Buck or one of a dozen other brands.

The thing about CRKT I've noticed is just how fast they start lowering the quality of their knives. The guy who buys the first run might get a OK knife where as the guy who buys the last run gets total junk. Which is why you see people on the opposite ends of the argument.

Good example is the 3 M21's I have owned.

1) Gift to my Dad and one of the earlier ones. But made in Taiwan, and blade steel keeps a decent edge. Both the blade and scales have a nice finish.

2) The one I own is at least 5 years old. No country of origin marked. The screws are cheaper and not as nicely cut as my dads. The jimping isn't as cut nice. The finish feels cheaper. OK knife but would rather have the other.

3) (Most recent) Bought a m21 as a gift for
my Nephew. China marked on blade. Scews are somehow even more crude. Steel not marked on blade and could be anything. Barely opens. The finish feels cheap! This thing is pure junk! I actually felt bad giving him this knife as it's his first.

Same knife and three different experiences.

I finally broke down and bought the Crawford Kasper folder just because I have always been a fan of the design. I wasn’t expecting much for $20, but I must say that I am very impressed with it. It’s a much nicer knife than I would have guessed at that price.

I wasn't going to come in on this one as i only own one crkt knife.
I too bought a crawford kasper because i liked the look of it .
Tan scales with black blade , maybe not everyones thing but i like it .
Turns out my example is well finished ,nicely centred and has a good lock up .
Its been plenty decent and holds an edge pretty well for a £25 knife .
Had it for 2-3 years .

Back