1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CRKT My first CRKT product seems perfectly fine . Happy surprise !

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Jul 8, 2019.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I believe I got a good HT on mine . It is definitely not brittle . I've seen mostly good reviews and hard use videos where it performed well without chipping . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:( But there seem to be some that get a bad HT , so that they will chip out , especially on the top corner . :mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I have no idea of the chances of buying a good vs bad . :confused:

I've also read suggestions that the bad ones are counterfeits / China fakes . I just don't know . o_O

2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I've had quite a few crkt's, both folder and fixed, I'd say 20 or so. Well more than half had unacceptable design flaws, fit/finish issues, or poor quality control. One good example doesn't redeem all the bad.

DocJD likes this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I agree totally . But their products do not seem to be all bad , all the time ! ;)

4. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Above 50% fail rate is too much for me to risk when there are so many other brands that don't have this issue. To each their own.

5. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Anyone by chance owns or has seen one of the very few special 154cm ti runs of the M-16 from like 9 years ago?

6. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    I carried one of these a few years back and whenever I pulled it out to use it I would often find myself humming the Hi Ho song from Snow White.

Mecha and DocJD like this.
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Always ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Hilarious ! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    The Heiho was too small for me, but I would love a Heiho XL! I love the scales and the stainless blade.

Mecha and DocJD like this.
  10. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I'm totally disappointed with my Crossbones. It has over 50% lockup, and the lockbar sticks/wedges under the tang when I deploy the blade fairly hard. In my opinion, this is the most common problem with Chinese imports. I'll definitely be passing on the Jumbones, or whatever it's called.

[​IMG]

DocJD likes this.
  11. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    You consistently denigrate CRKT, but you've bought 20...? What's your motivation to keep handing them your cash? One bad knife would have kept me away forever.

I've bought two, one each at the ends of their price spectrum & like them both. My Ken Onion Eros is almost equal in quality to my Sebenza but a 1/3 the price.

willc and DocJD like this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    You make a very excellent point ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If a company is all :poop: , why buy more than once or twice ? :confused:

13. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I finally broke down and bought the Crawford Kasper folder just because I have always been a fan of the design. I wasn’t expecting much for $20, but I must say that I am very impressed with it. It’s a much nicer knife than I would have guessed at that price.

DocJD likes this.
  14. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Many were before I knew what quality was. The rest were because I really liked the designs. It's been about five years since I bought one. I learned my lesson.

No need to stay away from a company because of one bad knife. That's silly. Every company is capable of delivering a lemon. Crkt just does it at a much higher rate.

I never said I got all crap from crkt.

15. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    While placing a phone order with one of the big outfitters, I was up-sold a CRKT 2045 Free Range. It was on clearance as it was a discontinued model and the price of the knife put me over the threshold to get free shipping. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I have one CRKT. It's a Krein Dogfish that I bought at a pawn shop in Georgia for $16. I use the bottle opener end as a paint can opener and the blade to open boxes at work. It gets abused but it's easy to sharpen and it works.

Turns out, the Free Range a surprisingly well built knife. Much nicer than I expected from CRKT after reading all the bad reviews over the years. F&F is really nice. Lock-up is tight. No blade play. 8Cr13MoV.

I don't carry it because it's a bit thick in the handle but it's comfortable in hand.

I'll dig it out and post some photos later.

[​IMG]

DocJD likes this.
  16. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I got 2 of these in a cheap multi-knife pkg deal on the Exchange and, if I want to go full Ninja, I can carry them both IWB w/the sheaths looped/secured to my belt for 2 handed action but I'd probably just end up cutting myself if I did that. LOL! ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    mwhich50 and DocJD like this.