My First Strider/Bladeplay Question

Hi guys, first time poster here. I’m active on other forums, and have been into knives for a while, but have never really been on here.

Onto my question. I just bought this Monkey Edge Frag Strider. I’ve had a production Strider, but sold it after a couple days, so I’m considering this my first real keeper. I love everything about it, save one thing. I’ve noticed that there’s slight vertical play (lock rock). I’ve heard varying opinions on this. Some say it’s normal and needs to break in, some say it’s not normal at all. Which opinion is the correct one? Also, if it is somewhat normal to have play before it breaks in, Will this badly affect the locking mechanism at all?

I’m including pictures and a video of the vertical play.

https://imgur.com/a/0V38Xk0

I'm curious what the physical mechanics are behind "breaking in" eliminating vertical blade play?

Also, be warned, asking about Strider knives around here is a risky business.

I'm curious what the physical mechanics are behind "breaking in" eliminating vertical blade play?

Also, be warned, asking about Strider knives around here is a risky business.
My understanding of the whole “breaking in” thing is that there is no lock insert, so the lockbar has to kind of settle in and “mate” with the blade tang.

I know it’s risky to ask about striders. They’re definitely love them or hate them knives. I actually can’t stand most of them, but I really like these monkey edge runs.

It's more the Strider part of it than the knives.

I'm sure lots of folks will be by to weigh in.

I only have experience with the older production versions but sorry to say those that exhibited lock rock only got worse.

"If the movement is up-and-down then there are a few things to try. First off, when brand new or previously unused the lock will need some time to break in and take a set… during this break in process some slight lock slippage is possible. You need not fear that the lock will fail but you may be able to feel some movement in the lock if you push down on the blade. Don’t obsess over this right now… just keep using the knife and breaking it in and you should find that the lock play soon disappears.
During this break-in period and later after more use you will often find that cleaning the lock surfaces will also eliminate any kind of slippage. Use a Q-tip or rag dipped in rubbing alcohol to scrub the blade tang's lock face, eliminating any and all build-up that is present. Next take a clean sheet of paper and slide it so that when the knife is open the paper is caught between the lockbar and tang. Push the lockbar over as far as it will go then unlock it... repeat until there is no black residue on the paper. This trick will solve more lock issues than all the other ones combined. See this thread: LINK
Another possibility for lock slippage is a lock bar that does not have enough tension in it. If you ease the knife open and you can then push the lock bar further in after engagement then it may need to be bent a little more to increase it’s tension. This requires you to disassemble the knife and give the lock bar a tweak. If you are not familiar with the proper way of doing this then you should send your knife in to SKI and let them adjust it for you… it is a simple procedure but it should only be attempted by someone who is comfortable and competent with this kind of thing. If you give the lock bar too much tension then your knife will be much stiffer to open. If you strip out a screw trying to disassemble/assemble your knife then you will be sending it back to SKI anyway. If you loose any parts you are also SOL. "
Source JF's Strider folder owners guide-which is on another forum. I have found his advice on Striders very useful and have been able to apply it to frame locks/liner locks of other makers as well.

Last edited:
5j5cWnWt.jpg

I got a dollar on post #52....

Naw man..thats like betting half way through the game:D
Gotta lay it down NOW bratha!:thumbsup:
$1?
You're right, that was a weak ask. You're probably pretty close, figuring it'll take a whole a second page for things to turn ugly then it's just a matter of time. After Boru's closing toast on that other thread he and I shared a couple PM laughs about Strider threads, so I figure he may be extra-vigilant now. Does that constitute insider trading? I'll man up, though, and put my dollar down on #49. :p

Hi guys, first time poster here. I’m active on other forums, and have been into knives for a while, but have never really been on here.

Onto my question. I just bought this Monkey Edge Frag Strider. I’ve had a production Strider, but sold it after a couple days, so I’m considering this my first real keeper. I love everything about it, save one thing. I’ve noticed that there’s slight vertical play (lock rock). I’ve heard varying opinions on this. Some say it’s normal and needs to break in, some say it’s not normal at all. Which opinion is the correct one? Also, if it is somewhat normal to have play before it breaks in, Will this badly affect the locking mechanism at all?

I’m including pictures and a video of the vertical play.

https://imgur.com/a/0V38Xk0

Strider knives? In before the lock! :D $1 on #28.

^ Seriously, 75199904_1626243877513119_6547904206571831296_n.jpg I would contact (CALL), Josh Lee & just send it in. For me, it's just a 10 minute drive over the hill to their shop, whenever I've needed anything. SKI (Josh), has always given me exceptional customer service!

#49 for the win! :thumbsup:

97285960_10218006483533809_818554791624966144_n.jpg 97998077_10218006480773740_4488077181771055104_n.jpg 97257555_10218015746005365_1381253167336914944_n.jpg 50280460_1391917324279110_1957012414041948160_n.jpg 21768330_1070512789752900_7172793481739361298_n.jpg

Sometimes, this hobby, really makes me wonder, why, so many long time knife enthusiast's, simply leave this place after so much time & energy invested in the hobby...

Before this (yet another) Strider thread gets shut down here in the GKD sub-forum, I wanted to interject some RevDevil introspection, & how it related to his enjoyment in this, so called, "hobby." And FWIW, I subscribe to these very thoughtful posts, written by this BF legend/Super Mod.

Reading these, kind of makes me wonder....why after so many years & nearly 42k+ posts, he left this place.....

Just like so many other's have before him, as well as so many of the Knife manufacture's/Dealer's who used to have sub-forums here. This is supposed to be a fun hobby....but it seems more people in this hobby, care more about drama, & being in their little "safe places," & would rather whine about & spew their negative energy about every single knife subject under the sun....

Like the new CRK 31 ceramic ball bearing. :rolleyes: I wonder how much longer it will be, before CRK finally takes the cue, & :rolleyes:leaves this place?

If I were to listen to all the different negative opinions, being written about all the various knife brands here....there'd be nothing left for me to buy.....

So I strongly encourage, that some of you post whore key board warrior's here, take the time & try read all 3 of these RevDevil posts, & then try perhaps, to comprehend what it was he was trying to share with everyone here, & do some introspection & stop being such a bunch of: "know it all," whiner's! :)

RevDevil's Posts:

#1.

"There are a lot of people, individuals that are not in the business of cutlery at all, just reviewers, accumulators, enthusiasts, etc. If you have your own blog, YT channel, etc then you have some degree of free speech. However free that might be, we still have to watch what we say and write. I see a lot of posts that are loaded with misinformation, half truths, lies, and blatant exaggerations of various kinds. Again, we have nothing to do between a lawsuit between one company and another, unless you are called in as an expert witness or something. I don't know and am not familiar at all with the people that Microtech is going after, nor do I care. It has NOTHING to do with me, and will not impact my life in any way regardless of what the final verdict may be. I tend not to put myself into precarious situations and I am always trying to be cognizant of what I say to people and what I write online (once it reaches the internet, it cannot be taken back and becomes part of the public record).

The context of my commentary can be twisted if I decide to try and be funny and maybe mistakenly choose the wrong words. Then my proverbial (virtual and real) ass might get into trouble. In this day and age and for the last 20+ years it's easy for one party to sue another. The case does not need to have any substance what so ever, it can simply be a move to punish someone by tying them up in court and making them spend money. If you have a few grand for a lawyer, you can pretty much file a lawsuit against anyone you want. The winner is usually the one that has the most money and can prove their case (obviously).

As far as this place goes, there is far too much conjecture about things that some folks know nothing about. Instead of stating things as such, they write things in a "matter of fact" tone that should not be challenged. That is the beginning of when people step on their pee pee. If you mistakenly spread misinformation about a company without knowing what is really going on, yes you are liable for slander and possible defamation. We all have opinions about some companies business practices, their treatment of customers, and their products. It's all in HOW we say and write those things if we chose to discuss them. Some folks get too comfortable behind the anonymity of their online persona and don't realize they are not unreachable."

#2.
"Again, everyone is entitled to buy or not buy from whatever company they like for whatever resons they want. I don't see anything wrong with that and I do practice that myself to a large extent with many items that I purchase. This being an open topic, anyone has as much right to post their thoughts as you. The original question was when will everyone finally let this go, that was what I addressed in my post. The people that repeatedly post conjecture as fact are the ones stirring the pot. What that does is fill the heads of newbies with bad information and then they carry that as truth because they "read it on an online knife forum, so it must be true". It's hard to forget things when you are constantly reminded of them. Once thing to note is that at some point or another and if you search hard enough, it's not impossible to find a slightly stained area on almost anyone's halo. No one has a perfect record in every column in this business or any other. I'm not admonishing anyone, just stating a perspective that seems to have been overlooked so far."

Last edited:
Back