My First Strider/Bladeplay Question

From the: "WHEN WILL FOLKS LET IT GO" Thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/when-will-folks-let-it-go-microtech.1492646/page-9

RevDevil's 3rd post on this subject:

#3.
I have not bought a knife in a while, but I own knives from Strider, KAI, CRK, Hinderer, Emerson, Cold Steel, Microtech, ProTech, Spyderco, Benchmade, Becker, Bussekin, Victorinox, GEC, Case, Buck and about a dozen other companies and a few full customs. Does that make me a bad person? No, it makes me an accumulator/collector/hobbyist/afi, whatever.

Without going into details, your question is like asking someone which political party they belong to or what religion they are, that way everyone can take kindly to you or prepare the pitchforks and torches. It's not that cut and dried for everyone and there are no points involved for taking one side or the other, this is not the first company vs company lawsuit to happen. This is not the first time a manufacturer went after someone.

Back to your question, where do I stand on ALL this? It doesn't matter where I stand on this, it's no ones business but my own in the end. What people spend their hard earned money on isn't my business, and yes I vote with my money. I really dislike the politics of this hobby, it takes the fun out of it entirely and breeds a lot of anger in what should otherwise be a fun and enjoyable activity. What would I do? I would not let it worry me as I have NO control at all over what these companies do, they want to make money not friends. I think they don't care about our opinion on their legal proceedings, that is best left to the attorneys.

I will not deny that there are some very unscrupulous individuals and companies running around out there (Hall of Shame in the Exchange as an example). Like I said, if you dig deep enough, you can find dirt on almost any company. It's up to each person how they feel about this, but it's getting old repeating the same thing over and over again. Like rowing a boat upstream after you've already gone over the water fall.

49784257_1389392567864919_4268546289282580480_n.jpg

THIS:

"Back to your question, where do I stand on ALL this? It doesn't matter where I stand on this, it's no ones business but my own in the end. What people spend their hard earned money on isn't my business, and yes I vote with my money. I really dislike the politics of this hobby, it takes the fun out of it entirely and breeds a lot of anger in what should otherwise be a fun and enjoyable activity."

As for me....I'm going to continue to enjoy & share my Strider love here (at least as long as I'm around this place).

I'd rather focus on all the good Mick/SKI has done, especially for all the local deploying USMC Marine's who deployed over to the Middle East with one of their DB-L fixed blades in their kits. Like the man, or not, he has always been, very supportive of our military here in San Diego.

And you don't like where I stand- lump it! (and can we please bring back that "jerk it" emoticon?)

Like the new CRK 31 ceramic ball bearing. :rolleyes: I wonder how much longer it will be, before CRK finally takes the cue, & :rolleyes:leaves this place?

They practicly already did, they don't post at all. Calling the CRK subforum hosted is a joke.

I don't own a 31 and don't plan to. IMO phasing out the 21 with the original Reeve Integral Lock is just very very sad and if CRK can't make the 31 lock as sturdy as on the 21, I consider the 31 as a DOWNGRADE.

If it's an M.Strider and is brand new there will be a decent amount of lockbar travel growth in the first 500 flips. Also, the construction of them is such that the lock-up can change depending on how you put it back together. The only locating pin is the pivot, so you can get adjustment there.

They're not plug and play like a CRK, but you can "lock in" your tuning by using a couple wraps on teflon tape on the pivot and there is always a sweet spot in my experience. After that I recommend cleaning like an integral or just rinsing out in the sink.

If you can confirm it's never been taken apart I'd let it break in til the lock up is no longer early. You need that lockface to peen just a little.

I've never owned a Strider but like any knife in that price range, you should have to worry about how to fix an issue. I'd send it in and have them fix it.

KELAMA KELAMA sorry but I don't get what your multiple long-winded posts had a thing to do with what the OP is asking???

I would return a knife with lock rock. Even taking out the whole "Mick Strider is human garbage and I'd never support him in any way" angle, we're left with poor QC letting lock rock out the door, and garbage design requiring Teflon tape that will quickly wear down and need replaced, or counting on the lockbar to peen itself over time to take up slack. You do know that "peen" = damage. CRK and Hinderer don't tell you to damage the knife so it will work right. I don't think these things are acceptable in a Kershaw knife for $20, let alone the price of a Strider.

I don't really know what is going on in this thread but I will say to the OP that "lock rock" on striders being normal, is a long standing thing. One of several reasons I stayed away from the brand.

Edit: I thought better of quoting all the crazy From KELAMA KELAMA . I put it in a more appropriate place.

Last edited:
If it's got lock rock, then return it (assuming you haven't gone past the point of return by sharpening/using it). Don't send it in for warranty work, as you cannot be certain it will be repaired to your liking, and you should not bet on poor lock geometry getting fixed through use. Return it for a refund or a replacement.

Strider does do really good warranty work. They'll put it back together right for ya. I'd assuming they've got poly jigs for assembly or something because those suckers are tricky to get back together right.

Teflon tape works well for setting the pivot screw position-which can be helpful in removing side to side play or seting the action. It will do nothing for vertical play.
While there are a number of tweeks you can do to right small problems with Striders and avoid sending them in(shipping costs), Sending them in is always an option. They do good warranty work, but are poor on communication. If it is brand new sending it back to the dealer could also be an option. The new M Strider knives are less prone to minor problems than the old models, but even the older ones don't take much skill to do minor adjustments(pivot tool is very helpful).
I have owned a number of these and only sent in 2. The 1st being my 1st Strider which had lock stick- this one likely didn't need to go in. The second had a loose stud and was about to be put up for sale, so I wanted it factory serviced.
Then again I don't go searching for problems that don't exist

Last edited:
I have four SnG including your version (monkey edge frag, cool knife), and I need to say that on all of them except one that I not started to use was same issue. Normally it starts after 3-4 months of use and to fix it you need to bend the frame bar a bit, that’s all. After this procedure I don’t have any issues for last four years with none of them.

As for me....I'm going to continue to enjoy & share my Strider love here (at least as long as I'm around this place).

I'd rather focus on all the good Mick/SKI has done, especially for all the local deploying USMC Marine's who deployed over to the Middle East with one of their DB-L fixed blades in their kits. Like the man, or not, he has always been, very supportive of our military here in San Diego.

And you don't like where I stand- lump it! (and can we please bring back that "jerk it" emoticon?)

I wouldn't mind a "yawn" emoji sometimes.

Sometimes I read the drama posts for amusement. Unfortunately, a forum attracts all kinds of folks, some that like drama, and some that don’t. Don’t allow it to ruin your passion for the hobby, just accept it for what it is. If I bought a Strider, I would proudly show it off and expect the bashers to pop in at any moment with the stolen valor, Mickey Burger aka Strider, comments.

VjNvCfs.jpg

Back