My first try to grind less sticking kitchen knife

OK, I've been thinking about this way too much... I don't think it would slice all that well with just a double hollow. The edge needs to be thinned as much as possible to reduce resistance.

The red dashed lines are the original profile above.

I really think it should be flat ground first - shown by the green dashed lines.

Then, do the hollow grind & give it just enough concavity (.3mm) to not stick.

What do you think? Is this something you can try? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had access to a big wheel. Right now, a 10 inch is the biggest I have.

View attachment 1104172
If you just want to try it make a radius platen from hardwood. It should get you started.

OK, I've been thinking about this way too much... I don't think it would slice all that well with just a double hollow. The edge needs to be thinned as much as possible to reduce resistance.

I really think it should be flat ground first - shown by the green dashed lines.

What do you think? Is this something you can try? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had access to a big wheel. Right now, a 10 inch is the biggest I have.

View attachment 1104172
I can try :) I think that anyway we must move grinding line from spine little more down to give some rigidity to blade or we shell and up with widest filet knife :D
Maybe I can try to combine grind ...17 inch with 10 inch and almost 8 inch wheel I have ? I use jig for this thin steel ,my work rest is very precise so I can maybe mix/flush different radius grind........somehow to get something usable :)
But now I need belts, ceramic one .I have for now only this one zirconia in 40 grit which I ordered long time ago as example to build this grinder . I grind with that belts lot of things past time so I don t think that it is anymore good for grinding this thin steel from both side .But I have lucky ,I don t have anymore to buy belts from foreign countries , in near town to me one small company fabricate belts from Klingspor material....I wait call from them .... Min. order is four belts for any grit , they will make any size I want ... I ordered 50 x 1500 belts in 40, 60 and 80 grit ceramic , they will last me forever :D When I get little more familiar with grinding on wheels I will speed up my grinder on 40 m/s , so belts would last even more ......I found that on high speed somehow it's easier for me to grind . ..

View attachment 1104172
I don t know ...no stick to food knife MUST have less contact with food or to push aside the cut-off ?? Better both ? I m right ?

What do you think about this ..........Double hollow grind bevel ? I grind one side on this small blank on 17 inch contact wheel , if I grind other side in same way I will have about 0.20mm on edge .After that I can grind another one hollow grind .....
Something like on this sketch on picture ?
BwDzf2h.jpg

I cut other one blank for this , I m waiting for belts for that one ............
juPdKzJ.jpg

aBL51QZ.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff! I have tried a ton of kitchen knife grinds, one that I like for overall performance is a V grind right to the top... leave the edge somewhat thick at .020" and add a secondary dominant hand chisel grind with a tiny double microbevel. The grind will look like a simple chisel grind if blended well and the chisel bevel will pop potatoes, etc right off.

I don t know ...no stick to food knife MUST have less contact with food or to push aside the cut-off ?? Better both ? I m right ?

What do you think about this ..........Double hollow grind bevel ? I grind one side on this small blank on 17 inch contact wheel , if I grind other side in same way I will have about 0.20mm on edge .After that I can grind another one hollow grind .....
Something like on this sketch on picture ?
BwDzf2h.jpg

I cut other one blank for this , I m waiting for belts for that one ............
juPdKzJ.jpg

aBL51QZ.jpg

I like it! Really, the more ideas you can try will only lead to a better choice in the end. I certainly agree with your theory!

I can see where Daniel's method would also accomplish the same thing - push the food away before it can stick.

Back