My Heart Broke A Little Today

Disappointing CS from Spyderco.
I've been waiting for the Police LW to be released, I am going to pass. Wasn't aware of the lock geometry issue.
I have been carrying a Pacific Salt exclusively at work for the last five years, residential seawall costruction, use it daily and it's been exposed a bunch to abrasive aggregates with no effect on the lock. My other back lock Spydies, Tasman and Stretch are also solid.
Not sure how I feel about this, part of the appeal of buying American is the perceived superior customer service.
I believe the lock geometry of the Police 4 is similar to, or the same as, that of the Salt line as well as all the other Seki-made back locks. I believe the issue is that the OP got a lemon.

The Japan-made Spydercos are still Spyderco (an American company). Customer service for the Japan-made knives is not referred to G. Sakai in Seki.

As an example of lemons (apart from Spyderco), years ago, I purchased an Al Mar SERE 2000 at a gun store. The knife selection was on sale at a reduced price, so I decided to try one out. It seemed perfect out of box. Then after a few months, with very little use and very little opening and closing (I don’t obsessively open and close my folders), the detent ball stopped working properly, and the liner lock started acting weird and feeling “mushy”. I tried contacting Al Mar customer service a few times, then just gave up. I never really warmed up to the knife anyway. But I have read reviews by other people who absolutely loved their SERE 2000 folders and experienced no issues, even with fairly hard use. I simply got a lemon.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Yimes,

I did spend some time with Charlynn discussing your knife. Perhaps there is more to the story?

sal

Reactions: mb>
Yes it is cool. However, I am not sure what was meant by Mr. Glesser’s post so I have sent a PM asking for an explanation and I will hold my response until I receive that.

It seems that Spyderco is trying to let people know they’re not repairing knives that aren’t considered new. Im on the fence if I can blame them or not. Things wear out, get old. You buy a new one. Spyderco doesn’t know your particular situation, or anybodies. I guess i kind of understand from a business standpoint that they can’t fix everyone’s knives.

A lifetime warranty is not cheap, same with a Spyderco knife. If I didnt care, I'd buy a five dollar knife. They can and should fix any knife under a lifetime, which is why it looks like Sal is on it.

Question for the OP. You said you've opened and closed the knife a lot. Have you been flicking the knife open? If so, don't do that. It's a great way to induce lock rock on a back lock. I imagine the Police would be even more prone to it since the blade is so large.

Regardless, glad to see that Sal's intervened.

Back