My Kindergartner was unfairly suspended for a butter knife in California?

I suggest that public pressure be used as a tool in this dispute. That will be one thing the principal will fear, as the left wing educational bureaucrats can't control it. Do up some flyers, stand outside the school gate as parents are dropping their kids off, and hand them out. Ask parents if they have any similar incidents with their kids. Emphasise that you are worried about your child's mental health, since they were being bullied by a group of adults, with no child advocate (like yourself) present. Ask if anyone has had similar incidents of their child being bullied by the school, and say that you are worried about the principal's competence and mental stability, if she is over-reacting like this. Maybe put in a picture of the butter knife. Ask for similar stories, or anything else about the way the school is run that concerns parents. We could probably draft a pretty good flyer right here, in this forum. Use the court of public opinion to your advantage.

The insults and language need to stop. Discuss the topic not each other.

Wow, I would have dialed the police myself and had them intervene on my behalf as they were aggressively interrogating a child!

Maybe he only had it to spread peanut butter on his lunch sandwich for crying out loud.

The insults and language need to stop. Discuss the topic not each other.

Thank you.

The reason why most lawyers did not want to take on a school district is because it is incredibly difficult to sue and several lawyers I contacted had connections to the school board -so it would be a "conflict of interest."

I won't respond to John_0917 anymore, it's clear that he's just trying to bait me into inappropriate behavior to shut down this thread. The truth has to be told. It's behavior like his that silences good men from standing up for themselves, and for each other. We get your opinion John, move on to another thread, you're no longer contributing -you're trolling.

To everyone else, keep the advice coming, it is appreciated. If you know of any media contacts online, or organizations that would be willing to help -feel free to post them here or e-mail me. :thumbup:

As a parent myself, I would have gone off the handle if my boys were being treated like this. Sounds like you handled yourself very well. Good luck and Ill be praying for you guys.

P.S. Move out of California!

flatgrinder, you have my sympathy. Our daughter got called in improperly but was old enough to speak up and walk out on the "guidance counselor". Poor counselor -- next day she had a visit from my wife, who let her know the school wasn't getting away with it. Authority figures abusing their positions is common enough. I'm glad you have taken and are taking action to protect your children.

I removed two posts from this thread because they went way over the line into politics. Instead of focusing on the individuals who messed up, they got on their soapbox blaming society at large. Not cool.

Drifting off-topic is OK, as long as it illuminates some aspect of the problem. Comments that mock another poster without any background or any logical reasoning, are borderline trolling. Try to reason when you oppose.

This topic is too well presented and responded to let it break down in acrimony!

flatgrinder, you have my sympathy. Our daughter got called in improperly but was old enough to speak up and walk out on the "guidance counselor". Poor counselor -- next day she had a visit from my wife, who let her know the school wasn't getting away with it. Authority figures abusing their positions is common enough. I'm glad you have taken and are taking action to protect your children.

I removed two posts from this thread because they went way over the line into politics. Instead of focusing on the individuals who messed up, they got on their soapbox blaming society at large. Not cool.

Drifting off-topic is OK, as long as it illuminates some aspect of the problem. Comments that mock another poster without any background or any logical reasoning, are borderline trolling. Try to reason when you oppose.

This topic is too well presented and responded to let it break down in acrimony!

Trolling is right. To come into a thread just to call the OP a liar is not cool. Though, I understand i am not innocent here. quite honestly, it pissed me off, and i of course threw up in this thread, as well. Apologies to the OP. Keep on trucking Esav.

Ok I see here a very highly charged emotional issue. Our children are very precious. We send them to school/daycare/kinder with the idea that they will be helped and cared for by the adults in charge.
This is not always a Sesame Street deal for those workers.Pretty much everything nowadays has a huge paper trail of documents and procedures attached to it .Its called arse covering here and it gets in the way of commonsense. I think the principal probably lacks some experience maybe and could easily have dealt with this MUCH more smoothly. A phone call to the parents before the interrogation phase might have been more in keeping with child welfare.remove the knife from the child and send him back to class.It might have cleared the air and put peoples minds at ease who are imagining a Sandy Hook type butter knife massacre . Why are there school psychologists anyway? are they employed by the school and on high alert for such incidents? If so that is a truly tragic state of affairs.
I hope your son is OK -they are good at bouncing back.
If it was me I'd send her a bunch of flowers and brief letter of apology-she was obviously out of her depth and teachers need our support. End of the day its your mistake-not your sons and not the principal.

Contact the local news, they love things like this and it will put pressure on the school to drop it. Discuss with a lawyer first in case you want to file a civil suit...

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP--getting legal advice and representation seems like the only way to go. Being a fellow resident of LA, do you mind me asking which school district? If that is too much info, I understand, no worries. I ask only to be vigilant; who knows, maybe we are dealing with the same people when it comes to the care and edu of our children. Best of luck resolving this matter--I hope your child is OK.

Trolling is right. To come into a thread just to call the OP a liar is not cool. Though, I understand i am not innocent here. quite honestly, it pissed me off, and i of course threw up in this thread, as well. Apologies to the OP. Keep on trucking Esav.

This is probably the worst moderated forum I have ever encountered....the OP is lying, it is plainly obvious to anyone with an objective brain.

This is probably the worst moderated forum I have ever encountered....the OP is lying, it is plainly obvious to anyone with an objective brain.
What would the OP have to gain by coming here and pumping us full of lies about an issue that none of us know anything about? It's not like someone on this poorly moderated forum confronted him about this issue and now he is being forced to plead his case.

If it was me I'd send her a bunch of flowers and brief letter of apology-she was obviously out of her depth and teachers need our support. End of the day its your mistake-not your sons and not the principal.

What convoluted delusional route brought you to that conclusion?

We sent our son to private schools all through high school and although it was tough to budget at times we have no regrets at all. I deal with some public school teachers and administrators as business clients and a good many of them I am glad had no part in my son's education.

I would recommend that you alert some talk radio programs of your situation as they can put a rather large spotlight on it. I hear stories not unlike yours regularly on Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity's programs. I sure there are some regional radio hosts that would have an interest in your story as well.

Time's have sure changed. I carried a knife in my pocket from 3rd grade on and when I was old enough to drive to high school I often had a rifle or shotgun in my gun rack if I was going hunting or to a gun range after school.

If telling the truth is acrimony...., I am guilty. With all due respect (and i do respect the mods. and their responsibilities), I don't appreciate being censored because you disagree with my viewpoint regarding this topic. My opinion is valid and was offered in support of the OP's position. That is all.

Last edited:
I don't appreciate being censored because you disagree with my viewpoint regarding this topic. My opinion is valid and was offered in support of the OP's position.

You misunderstand. I have no objection to your viewpoint, although I think it was overstated. The problem was, it was a purely political viewpoint, and we don't allow political comments outside the Political Arena.

You misunderstand. I have no objection to your viewpoint, although I think it was overstated. The problem was, it was a purely political viewpoint, and we don't allow political comments outside the Political Arena.

If we are trying to keep politics out of it, why are we allowing the comments about public and private schools. My kids go to public schools as did me and my wife and had no issues even close to this. There are good and bad public schools and good and bad private schools. Of course there will be more stories like this coming from public schools because there are way more public schools.

Public schools are obviously at a financial disadvantage but to act like these problems are limited to public schools and private schools will solve all the problems is ridiculous.

Back