My knife design [ pics ] - is it worth to start a Kickstarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the replies, I will try to address them one by one...

What are those 2 parallel lines on the blade supposed to be? What do they do?

Nothing, they are just see in software, indicating the hollow grind.

Does the lock give fixed-blade capability in a folding knife? o_O
A rendering of the opening/locking mechanism would help immensely. That rendering of the exterior does nothing to convince me that you have any idea how the "guts" of the knife would work, or that they would work.

Sure, here is how the mechanism will look from inside.
b31d85a59be1643f2efc907b820b3095.png

You would have better sales and backing with a manual folder I bet.

That's a possibility, as autos might have importing/shipping problems :(

Look, all this negativity is not about you. I actually admire your enthousiasm. But when you ask for people's money upfront, you invite some very critical attention. And I don't think you're in a position to hold up to that kind of scrutiny right now.

At this point I am in no way asking for anybodie's money. If it will get to the kickstarter phase, of course there will be a lot more information about me, the manufacturer, prototypes, etc, etc.

Are you going to end up in prison for shipping a knife to the wrong city or state? Do you have tens of thousands of dollars ready to hire a team of attorneys to research every legal question that pops up or keep you out of prison?

I'm in Europe, but yes, that one is a problem. So will probably switch to an assisted opening or even a manual.

I would like to see the materials being use in the knife. I dont like the lock it has, but other than that its ok, you're really stepping into Protech territory with the looks of the design, so you need a marketing strategy to give you and edge over them or offer something different in the same design, I wish you good luck and all the best

Thank you. I am still considering on the handle material, it could be anything from aluminum, to G10 or even glass reinforced nylon 66.

If your first goal is to get a working model put together, you could try talking to one of these outfits that 3D prints things to-order.
Yes, of course, I have a 3d printer in office to check out prototypes before making them from metal.

Was interesting right up until here...:confused:

If people don't want to pay like 200$+ for it, but more like 49$, then it will have to come from china anyway.
It is not that Chinese are making crap, they can make it for, say, 5$ crappy or for 25$ to be pretty decent.

I’d be interested if you tweak the design a bit, so it was an OTF, with another blade nested inside the blade, also an OTF, and another nested inside that second blade, and so on, concatenated into a small sword blade with tiered OTF deployment.
Come on...out the side is fine;)

SmartSelect_20200226-005250_YouTube.gif

Im another in the camp who 1. Doesnt do auto’s (cause they are illegal in Canada), and 2. I dont even pay well known makers up front let alone kickstarter or gofundme.

Start from the ground up...on your own dollar. So much more respect. :)

Hello friends,
I had designed an automatic folding knife as a hobby project and now am thinking if it would be a good idea to make some prototypes and start a Kickstarter campaign...
What do you think - is it a worthy design or is the market already saturated with such knifes? If so, what kind of a knife you would like to see, what kind of a knife would you back on kickstarter?

Thanks!

419f0f99f3e7f4bb5ec8ccb288bb223c.png

2d1e2d285d2764542b2df79da19664bf.png

e55c9fd317ed32b697fb4c88b2f49450.png

83098ab5982624eb11cffe30fb4f35a7.png

I'm a huge fan of how you essentially put a finger choil into a Kershaw Launch 3. o_O

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/launch-3

I'm a huge fan of how you essentially put a finger choil into a Kershaw Launch 3. o_O

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/launch-3

Checkmate.

Looks like it's back to the CAD program drawing board, Liberty_Knives. o_O

Now, if you really want to make knives, I'll tell you what the pros told me: you go to the rail yard and pick up 1,002 railroad spikes, 500 lbs of coal, a piece of railroad mainline as an anvil, and a 5 lb engineer's hammer. Then you forge two of the spikes into a pair of tongs. Take the last 1,000 spikes and start forging them into knives, one by one. After the last spike has been forged, then, then, MAYBE you'll be ready to make a knife. o_O

Checkmate.

Looks like it's back to the CAD program drawing board, Liberty_Knives. o_O

Now, if you really want to make knives, I'll tell you what the pros told me: you go to the rail yard and pick up 1,002 railroad spikes, 500 lbs of coal, a piece of railroad mainline as an anvil, and a 5 lb engineer's hammer. Then you forge two of the spikes into a pair of tongs. Take the last 1,000 spikes and start forging them into knives, one by one. After the last spike has been forged, then, then, MAYBE you'll be ready to make a knife. o_O

Yes, unfortunately my initial design does look too much like either the above kershaw or the hogue mentioned before.

0a7ef38346c618f65dfaf6851837e6f0.png

Drafted such concept, but I am sure you guys will be able to find something similar that already exists. :D

I remember when I started in the trades, I had a lot of commentary like that. A laborer, I was in a little bit of awe of the work some of the cabinet makers were doing. My job was cleaning up, hauling materials, delivering cabinets and "holding that right there". I would ask them "how long does it take to get as good as you?", and the guys would look at each other and laugh, then tell me how long they had been making cabinets and doing custom wood work. I remember pointedly asking more than one of them "how long do you think it will take to learn what I need to before I can build cabinets on my own?"

They made a production out of the answer. Their eyes would narrow, they would look at me with slight disgust, and tell me //IF// I ever got good enough to build on my own, it would take about 15-20 years. They would take a pull of their smoke, and then tell me that would ONLY be if I had the skills. Then shake their head with doubt. It was almost a ceremony.

So I worked hard with the best guy the company had for a couple of years, worked on the weekends with another company, and studied on techniques, build procedures, hardware installation, cost to build, estimating materials, etc.

I sold my first full set of completely custom kitchen cabinets, made from raw materials and sheet goods about 3 years after I started in the trades. They took me about a month and half to build, but I got it done. Friends of my client liked the quality so much that they had me build their cabinets when they remodeled immediately after that. About 2 years later I had enough business to rent a small space and buy about (in 1977 dollars) $3000 of equipment.

I don't advertise, and all of my business is referral. I have a 4 month back log of work. I have been in business for myself now for 39+ years. I am glad all the time I didn't listen to those guys. I see those "you may never be as good as me" guys all the time, and the song hasn't changed.

I have a friend that makes knives full time and works part time for insurance availability. He is pretty prolific as day in and day out he makes about 3 - 4 finished knives a month. Using his numbers of about 40 - 50 knives a year, and your requirement of forging 1000 blanks just to see if he MIGHT be able to consider himself a knife maker, (maybe... possibly...), then it would take him well over 20 years just to see if he might have developed he skills to see if he could possibly make a quality knife. Not to be a knife maker, but just to see if he could be. If he falls off the pace of about 45 finished knives a year, then it would be 25 years or more to see if he had the stuff.

Seriously... did it take you 1000 tries to see if you might possibly be able to consider yourself a knife maker? I am surrounded by knife makers here in S. Texas, and I don't know that any of them have worked at the pace described above for over two decades to get to the 1000 knife mark.

My comments are not meant to be a personal criticism because I understand full well that you may have made 1000 knives before you got to your decision to call yourself a qualified knife maker. My thoughts are more that I like to be as encouraging as possible for anyone going into any kind of trades or craft work as a vocation as there are so few doing it these days. As a contractor, I NEVER see young guys wanting to learn to work with their hands. I try to be as encouraging as possible.

BTW, the resemblance to the Kershaw Launch and the Liberty knife is way too much to ignore. I know it is probably impossibly hard to come up with an original design these days, but wow... that's almost embarrassing. Nope... scratch that, it is embarrassing.

Robert

Last edited:
I see those "you may never be as good as me" guys all the time, and the song hasn't changed.Robert
I have less than any use for blowhards that puff out their chest crowing about how "gifted" they are at the expense of someone who maybe trying to start out. Constructive criticism is well needed (and encouraged) but veiled insults are not.

I remember when I started in the trades, I had a lot of commentary like that. A laborer, I was in a little bit of awe of the work some of the cabinet makers were doing. My job was cleaning up, hauling materials, delivering cabinets and "holding that right there". I would ask them "how long does it take to get as good as you?", and the guys would look at each other and laugh, then tell me how long they had been making cabinets and doing custom wood work. I remember pointedly asking more than one of them "how long do you think it will take to learn what I need to before I can build cabinets on my own?"

They made a production out of the answer. Their eyes would narrow, they would look at me with slight disgust, and tell me //IF// I ever go good enough to build on my own, it would take about 15-20 years. They would take a pull of their smoke, and then tell me that would ONLY be if I had the skills. Then shake their head with doubt. It was almost a ceremony.

So I worked hard with the best guy the company had for a couple of years, worked on the weekends with another company, and studied on techniques, build procedures, hardware installation, cost to build, estimating materials, etc.

I sold my first full set of completely custom kitchen cabinets, made from raw materials and sheet goods about 3 years after I started in the trades. They took me about a month and half to build, but I got it done. Their friends liked the quality so much that they had me build their cabinets when they remodeled immediately after that. About 2 years later I had enough business to rent a small space and buy about (in 1977 dollars) $3000 of equipment.

I don't advertise, and all of my business is referral. I have a 4 month back log of work. I have been in business for myself now for 39+ years. I am glad all the time I didn't listen to those guys. I see those "you may never be as good as me" guys all the time, and the song hasn't changed.

I have a friend that makes knives full time and works part time for insurance availability. He is pretty prolific as day in and day out he makes about 3 - 4 finished knives a month. Using his numbers of about 40 - 50 knives a year, and your requirement of forging 1000 blanks just to see if he MIGHT be able to consider himself a knife maker, (maybe... possibly...), then it would take him well over 20 years just to see if he might have developed he skills to see if he could possibly do make a quality knife. Not to be a knife maker, but just to see if he could be. If he falls off the pace of about 45 finished knives a year, then it would be 25 years or more to see if he had the stuff.

Seriously... did it take you 1000 tries to see if you might possibly be able to consider yourself a knife maker? I am surrounded by knife makers here in S. Texas, and I don't know that any of them have worked at the pace described above for over two decades to get to the 1000 knife mark.

My comments are not meant to be a personal criticism because I understand full well that you may have made 1000 knives before you got to your decision to call yourself a qualified knife maker. My thoughts are more that I like to be as encouraging as possible for anyone going into any kind of trades or craft work as a vocation as there are so few doing it these days. As a contractor, I NEVER see young guys wanting to learn to work with their hands. I try to be as encouraging as possible.

BTW, the resemblance to the Kershaw Launch and the Liberty knife is way too much to ignore. I know it is probably impossibly hard to come up with an original design these days, but wow... that's almost embarrassing. Nope... scratch that, it is embarrassing.

Robert

Thanks you for the advice. I understand that it truly takes years to reach if not perfection, then at least something more or less close to it...

Meanwhile trying to work on an assisted-opening EDC kind of knife, we'll see how it goes.

c753d65205ae3e02d91a4bd79e623fd2.png

61cdfe1a875e10e8f02f035579f39355.png

Keep designing...keep dreaming...eventually it may pan out. The second render of the flipper knife...the plunge line is in the way for a lot of knife related duties.
Just helpful advice. May I ask how much experience you have using knives? Or are you going for “art” knives?

Hey man - keep cranking out those designs until this honest, well-meaning group says “holy shit that’s great!” Then you can figure out what’s next, but GO FOR IT, you’ll get it done!

I have less than any use for blowhards that puff out their chest crowing about how "gifted" they are at the expense of someone who maybe trying to start out. Constructive criticism is well needed (and encouraged) but veiled insults are not.

Well said. With nearly 50 years in the trades, I have been exposed to all levels of craftsmanship and expertise across many, many different disciplines. Once I got my ego in check as a young man, I noticed a few things.

The folks most insecure about their little pieces of knowledge are the folks that are the most defensive about it. Folks that have mastered/nearly mastered (or even become quite good) at something are the most relaxed and ready to encourage and share.

They aren't threatened in any way and more importantly, they realize 1) no matter how good you are, there is someone better, and 2) there is always more to learn. We all travel he same road together, we are just in different places.

A good example from me would be that on occasion I go to a client's house (when doing residential) and they sheepishly want to show off their wood working projects. It never fails, that the most talented of the home craftsmen are usually the most humble. And I have seen some fantastic work done by home craftsmen and women. The difference between me and them is that it takes me 1/10 the time (or less) to build what they do. Regardless of where they are on the learning curve, I always find something good to say and to be encouraging. Why not? I have nothing to prove as far as my work goes. And they love a pat on the back from a "master cabinet maker" (that term STILL makes me and my fellow tradesmen chuckle when it comes up... it pays the bills!) that gives them some validation and the desire to keep learning. Personally, I am glad to give help to any of those guys that are earnest and sincere in their efforts and want to learn to do better.

Guess it all boils down to how you see yourself in relation to others.

Robert

Thanks you for the advice. I understand that it truly takes years to reach if not perfection, then at least something more or less close to it...

Meanwhile trying to work on an assisted-opening EDC kind of knife, we'll see how it goes.

c753d65205ae3e02d91a4bd79e623fd2.png

61cdfe1a875e10e8f02f035579f39355.png

This is a wicked cool design.

Add a lock bar relief, thumb stud, frame lock, drop or clip point blade, round the butt of the handle and make it in the USA and you have a new customer! I will keep my word.

Really a solid baseline. Passive aggressive response. I guess so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back