My knife doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I bought a Spyderco Maxamet. It has the same shape as your garden variety traditional Spyderco.

Since then I've noticed that the pictures of the "new Maxamet" show a handle with a differing shape. Are there two models, or did the factory make changes during the early run?

Since I carry traditional models, I like mine since it "feels the same" in a pocket. Does anyone know why that model changed?--The Tourist

upload_2020-3-14_14-16-32.jpeg

upload_2020-3-14_14-19-50.jpeg

Silent H--Your knife is a Spyderco Native 5 LW. It has maxamet steel. It is not a "Spyderco Maxamet"

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. When I ordered the knife the intake person didn't point out any differing models. It seems they had one and only one product number and shipped that.

I like the knife, the shape at this point is moot. Then again, this wasn't the first time a product I ordered looked differently from its catalog picture.

this wasn't the first time a product I ordered looked differently from its catalog picture.

Sounds like you need to shop at more reputable dealers who know what they're doing, I'd suggest starting with the dealers who support this site.

Sounds like you need to shop at more reputable dealers who know what they're doing, I'd suggest starting with the dealers who support this site.

I think my purchase pre-dates my entry here, but I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind from now on.

To be fair, I would define myself more of a "user" than a "collector." That's one of the reasons I look for new posts here several times per week.

Maxamet is the name of the steel your blade is made out of. Spyderco makes many different knives, with many different blade steels.

Your knife is a Spyderco Native 5 LW. It has maxamet steel. It is not a "Spyderco Maxamet" :rolleyes:

[Facepalm] Ooooohhh, I get it now. [/Facepalm]

I've been looking to replace my Model 390 forever, but when I search for "M390", the knife that pops up is way different than mine.

Perhaps my knife does exist after all.

I got a good laugh out of this :D

Spyderco does not put the name of the model on their blades (for the most patt anyways), but the steel it's made out of is always there under the Spyderco text.

You wouldn't believe the results I get trying to find information on this old knife I have....

4OuzDIph.jpg

Interesting... In a previous thread you seemed to understand that Maxamet was an alloy...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/re-shipping-errors.1713160/

"But I consider myself lucky. I have a 'regular' Spyderco, and one made from the alloy Maxamet, something I have never seen or used."
And under his previous user name (now banned for being a troll) the OP ran a knife sharpening business. One must ask the question, did TheTourist TheTourist suffer some sort of health emergency that would cause him to become a complete knife noob again or is he just trolling for attention.......again.

Please folks, take nothing seriously that TheTourist TheTourist has to say. And if you want a bit of historical reference to read while much of us are stuck inside, take a look at his post history and the post history of his previous name @The Tourist https://www.bladeforums.com/search/82141133/

What? I take it you've never changed over the course of your life. I got into sharpening and forums in my late 20s. I am 70 years of age now.

How about we rifle through your past, women, gambling drinking and all? Oh, I can hear the whining now, "But, Tourist, I joined a church, I got married, I had children..."

Sorry, guy, that good stuff is boring. If one guy posts you were a schmuck in your 20s, then I see no reason to post your generosity and accomplishments. After all, turn-about is fair play...

What? I take it you've never changed over the course of your life. I got into sharpening and forums in my late 20s. I am 70 years of age now.

How about we rifle through your past, women, gambling drinking and all? Oh, I can hear the whining now, "But, Tourist, I joined a church, I got married, I had children..."

Sorry, guy, that good stuff is boring. If one guy posts you were a schmuck in your 20s, then I see no reason to post your generosity and accomplishments. After all, turn-about is fair play...
You were banned here 10 years ago. This isn't ancient history. And you are pulling the same garbage now that you did back then. You joined up this time around with a story that you forgot you were a member here despite having thousands of posts and a long history, including a knife sharping business, under a different banned name.

I seriously hope your health is okay and not causing you to act this way. Seriously I do. That said, I think you are fine and this is just what you do on the internet for kicks.

So with that, I'll again advise that not one person take you seriously. I'll stop posting in this thread now, as to not "derail" it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back